Why can't Darron Lee cover anyone?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Aug 30, 2017.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Per Pro Football Focus, Darron Lee was the lowest-graded Jet on defense. He gave up a 134.7 passer rating in coverage....

2. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Martin was good, Davis and Lee were garbage

CBG likes this.
  3. matt robinson 17

Terrible

CBG likes this.
  4. matt robinson 17

Davis sucks even worse

CBG likes this.
  5. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Loved watching guys making tackles 8 yards down field,,,,,just sayin

Royal Tee and matt robinson 17 like this.
  6. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

I'm very concerned about Lee. I've never really liked the draft pick from the start. I get it w/the BPA philosophy, --- but even the most naivete would have to ask if the player would fit the particular D that is being employed?
    And in our case, I felt the answer was a resounding NO. Under 6-1, weighs 230 soaking wet. And not really physical / more finesse in college. Tough to play in the NFL 3-4. Would have preferred someone else / trade down.
    I know its only 1 game. I gave him a total pass on the rookie season as one should. But I see the same bad tendencies from last year. Getting physically overwhelmed by O-linemen. Hits the wrong gap. Lacking instincts. And buys on the fake every time.

We should listen to trade offers immediately. And we need a better scouting department. For every bad move like this draft pick that Mike M. makes, - he turns it around with a good FA pickup or trade (Kony Ealy and recent Sheldon Richardson trade that netted us Kearse (who was solid yesterday) and a 2nd round draft pick.

Both Myles Jack & Jaylon Smith looked better than Darron Lee yesterday,.......IMO.

ajax, 101GangGreen101 and grkmanga31 like this.
  7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It doesn't matter how many good trades or acquisitions he makes if he can't draft we are going no where. You cannot buy a championship,if you could Tanny and Daniel Snyder would both be h.o.f. candidates.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Sharon Lee was terrible. His awareness is atrocious. What good is it that he can run a 4.3 if he can't find the ballcarrier or the pass receiver??? This is football not track & field

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jets are making him an inside linebacker when that's not what Lee excels at. Reminds me of playing Pryor at FS. Jets having Adams play a linebacker role, when are the Jets going to just put their best players in the best situations?

10. BrowningNagle

so what position should Sharon Lee play then? he's too small to play the edge. he can't cover anyone to play safety or nickel coverage LB. if ILB is a bad fit for him then where is a good fit?? (besides the bench)

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  11. matt robinson 17

Demario Davis is every bit as terrible, Browning

12. 101GangGreen101

a SAM Linebacker, he should be playing more in open space and rush the passer on specific plays. I'd rather see him go up against the RBs and the occasional TE. Cover the flats. They got this guy playing as if he's a 250 pound linebacker that sheds lineman blocks. He had a sack yesterday, but have to remember he's only been playing linebacker for like 3 years.

Note, I did a lot of drinking yesterday due to how bad the Jets were so I need to rewatch the entire game if I have the balls to ... I only saw maybe the first 3 QTRs

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I wouldn't waste your time.

For those saying Davis is bad, I'm his biggest critic. But what do we expect having him cover Shady McCoy one on one in the open field? That's coaching. Setting a player up to fail. He didn't do an absolutely horrible job as he tackled him right away. It seems like we were playing a lot of cover 1 with a single high safety and man across the board.

I would like to see us play more cover 2, even with some man, and see what plays the safeties can make because that's what that scheme can rely on. Then again, they required that you can stop the run with the front 7.

14. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

you have to wonder how somebody who is supposed to be a top defensive coordinator, before getting the
    head coaching gig, can have so many guys playing in the wrong slots/ and playing a 3-4 instead of a 4-3 when you had 4 guys who were suited to that. now that richardson is gone, teams can easily double wilkerson and keep him from making any impact on the game also.

15. 101GangGreen101

We should play some more cover 2 indeed and allow Adams to roam in the middle of the TE going up against TEs and RBs. I don't want to see him playing against the run each and every snap as an extra linebacker.

I never want to see Davis cover another player again, he should be focused only on the run game. I would like to see Lee take on RBs on the open field. Especially pass catching backs.

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

With Sheldon gone, Darron Lee is my new #1 least liked Jet. He is much worse than Sheldon though, as he is TERRIBLE on the field. Cocky off of it, which is odd for a guy who does nothing but suck since entering the league.

17. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Now that Calvin Pryor was jettisoned, Darron Lee, you're on deck! You're checking all of the right boxes.

18. BrowningNagle

It's too much to expect a 1st round pick linebacker to not embarrass himself against a fellow NFL player? huh? Lee was drafted to stop guys like Lesean McCoy!!!!

19. BrowningNagle

maybe I will check out more tape of that game, maybe not, because frankly it was boring and ugly but Adams wasn't playing the run each and every snap. Adams was roaming quite a bit in coverage. They HAD to bring him up in the running game because Lee & Davis both SUCKED and weren't doing their jobs

--

and I'm sorry but you don't draft a 210lb linebacker in the first round to have him focus only on the run game. If that's the case, go out and get another thumper like David Harris or Donta Hightower who can rock MFers at the point of attack in the running game. Lee was drafted because he has 4.3 speed to cover and close in the short passing game

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It feels like Mac & Bowles weren't/aren't even sure what they're going to do with Lee.

'He'll be our slot... linebacker!"

Just like a slot back on offense that gets jet sweeps, option pitches, etc. That's what Darron Lee was drafted to stop....