Game #1 negatives, and positives....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tbruner12, Sep 10, 2017.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Stats can be misleading. I'm not sure what PFF bases their ratings from but Wilkerson did not look to have played great, and I did not see the O-line get any push in the run game.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Leonard Williams almost had a few sacks yesterday. Has to finish plays. Mo didn't look good, slow on the outside obviously but wasn't his usual self in the trenches.

Well Mo, guess you'll be the next guy out. Team needs to start fresh.

3. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

Because our dumbass QB doesn't want to throw the ball more than 5 yards down the field and the running game is facing 8 and 9 men in the box. If the Jets won't or can't find a QB to stretch the defense and throw deep then the safeties have no reason to drop into deeper zones and the running game isn't going anywhere. I don't know if it was the play calling or the QB, but if you're routinely facing 8 and 9 men in the box then its time to run some deep patterns and throw deep passes into the single coverage that should be out there, especially off play action pass.

I still can't understand why McCown is starting. I'd rather see Petty if he's healthy (and, frankly, he deserves a shot) or even Hackenberg take his lumps and maybe learn some things than continue to see McCown out there. You're either committed to a rebuild or you're not. If you're committed to a rebuild then you should not be starting McCown. If you're not committed to a rebuild then you shouldn't be cutting Harris, B. Marshall or Decker. It looks more and more like Mac (who is for the rebuild) and Bowles (who appears to be against it) are not on the same page.

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Wilkerson' s motor is mediocre, period end of story. His contract was the biggest blunder of Mac's career. All the screaming and yelling by Jet fans about taking care of our home grown talent so far has not paid off shit for us.
    However, our biggest problem, has been, and will continue to be our DC and HC that has shown zero talent to make our defense at least average with all that talent. They absolutely suck.

#24 LAJet, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

THIS Mo Wilk does not live here anymore

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(and PFF is a joke)

#25 joe, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    ajax, grkmanga31 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  6. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Paying Wilkerson instead of Harrison, or Richardson may go down as one of his biggest mistakes. Obviously hindsight has made the picture a ton clearer but I understand why he signed Wilkerson at the time over Harrison (a 2 down NT) and Richardson (off the field problems).

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  7. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

+ McCown looked pretty competent actually. The two INTs were blemishes and I believe one was pretty bad, but he seems like a good backup QB.

- RBs couldn't get anything going; doesn't seem like the line could open holes, but also seems Buffalo have been heavily anticipating/preparing for the run.

+ Kearse looks like a solid piece of the receiving group (ideally a 3rd receiver on a good team). Nice pickup. He should be helpful for the QB
    Nice to see Stewart and Anderson contributing albeit not significantly.

+ Nice to see TEs involved! Good pickup with Tye

0 O-Line did decently in pass protection actually. I expected them to be worse. Couldn't open holes for the RBs though... Apparently Brandon Shell had a positive performance.

0 DL was generally disappointing and the front got gashed against the run.

+ Very impressed with Josh Martin! Excited to watch him going forward. Also a great showing by Ealy and even Jenkins. This could be the OLB group of the future if they continue playing well.

- I wonder if Stanford will overtake Lee. It may just be he's, predictably, a poor fit in the 3-4, but they made an even smaller player, former S Deone Buchanon, a great ILB so I have hope. I'm not giving up on Lee even if he underwhelms this year by the way. He was an rSO coming out and was a surprise contributor last year. This is a developmental year for him.

0 Nice play by Burris at CB; glad he's getting time. CBs didn't seem to give up anything crazy. Was it just me or did Maye have a rough game? Adams seemed to have a good showing.

+ This is why Catanzaro was chosen: hit long kicks and put every KO out of the endzone. The dude is still young and cheap too; I think we need to stop with this whole Martin was screwed over narrative... Excellent day for Lac Edwards! Raymond fumbled at least twice... Pretty sure a third at the end of his first return... He needs to clean that up ASAP

- I just don't trust Todd Bowles. I don't think he can be a good NFL head coach. His decision-making is sometimes baffling and to punt in the 4th was absolutely ridiculous. Playing Hack over Petty is a poor "coaching decision".

+ It's just one game, but I don't dislike the new OC yet, which is great. They went much more pass happy than I imagined.

I really found myself rooting for good individual performances, but indifferent about the outcome. I wasn't sure how it would be once the game started, but I really am seeing this as a 20-game preseason...

8. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I was really afraid the Jets' O-line would be the worst in the league. I see evidence that that won't be the case.

The Jets' O-line is just as bad as I thought, but the Giants' and Seahawks' O-lines look even worse, like record-setting quality bad.

9. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

The guys on the other side of the ball are getting paid too. Some fans seem to think that because the Jets had trouble running the ball that the fault was the OL or RB's. When you have an offense as weak as the Jets, the opposition has the luxury of picking one of the offensive threats (or non threats) to stop. Any defensive coordinator worth his salt facing the Jets would concentrate on stopping the running game (such as it is) and make them throw the ball (obviously the weaker threat.) It's very difficult for an offense to mount a running game when the opposing defense is deployed to stop it. The countermeasure is make the defense pay for overplaying the run by throwing the ball. However, we know that with the Jet pass offense, that's not going to be very successful. In fact, at the end of the game, when the Bills knew the Jets had to pass, is when the interceptions occurred. Get used to it Jet fans, it's not going to be any better going forward.

10. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Positives - I thought Adams made a few great plays to balance out a few poor ones. There seems to be a lot of potential there.

Powell showed some aggression in his running.

Ealy brought a bit of heat at times.

Kearse looks like a solid receiver.

Negatives - Forte looked finished at the end of last season and still does. So hesitant on his runs.

Wilkerson has disappeared since his big payday and looks fat, slow and uninterested.

Lee looked absolutely awful in every aspect of the game and also gave up a brain-dead personal foul penalty.

Todd Bowles is still our coach.

I hope these players are held accountable for their play. Forte and Wilkerson should be benched- they're useless on the field.

11. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

lol I was told to allow time to install the offense... and that this wasn't going to be a 3-5 yard per play offense...

looks like this OC is just as conservative and boring as the last 10

12. 101GangGreen101

I just rewatched a little bit of this game, Mo did have a pass deflection, but wasn't nearly effective going up against Richie and Corey Glenn. This is why I want Bowles to find matchups and exploit them, but he seems keen in keeping them in the same spot.

13. 101GangGreen101

Snacks looked good helping the Giants give up over 100 rushing yards to Elliot. We still gonna bring up Snacks here? The only job Snacks is suppose to do is stop the run, and well that didn't work out so well ..

14. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Let's cut this out. I watched quite a few games and it seems teams were throwing quick hitting type plays as well. The difference is the Jets don't have a full home run threat or a speed guy that can get YAC....Anderson is a deep guy but he needs time to develop his game. The rest of the WR's are mostly possession guys besides maybe Stewart.

Also the QB needs the time and Moxy to make plays down field happen. McCown is smart so he will make the right first read but it's a more safer play.

Petty is the guy who can operate the WCO but push the ball down field.

Powell is the guy who needs to get the bulk of the snaps, he has the burst, power and agility he AGAIN needs opportunity. Release Forte please...This team lacks speed and dynamic on offense. This will help the offense. Otherwise get use to this type of offense which btw most the NFL is using

PulseJet and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  15. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Just a few notes

Mediocre
    - After seeing McCown play with the first team, he is what he's always been. He's not going to carry the team on his back, but you can tell he's very in tune with the offense, and he's not going to make many mistakes (or splashy plays for that matter).

I'll attribute his 2 picks to desperation, especially the first one. On a 3rd and 6, the play call from the 38 was pretty bad, and McCown realized if he took that sack, they would be out of FG range. I honestly think he wanted to toss that ball out of bounds. So Morton should share some blame on that one.

Moreover, McCown demonstrated why he's on this team. It's noit really to help develop the QBs, it's more to develop the receivers & the offense. That said, if this goes on more than 2-3 weeks, they are really just spinning tires . Especially if they don't open the offense up a little more, or attempt to run the ball. They run blocking was bad, but they have to try and get something going because....

Negative - WRs - Guys like Anderson need the running game, he's far too light in the ass to be playing against man on man. Anderson got eaten up all game, and never looked comfortable.

Kearse has been there a week, and he was the best WR on the field. Tye has been there 8 days, and he's the 2nd best receiving option on the field. Sadly, when Kerley is ready, he will likely be the other best option. So your top 3 options barely know the playbook. So hopefully this gets better over the next few weeks. That said - ASJ/TYE could be a really good combo at TE, which could help the guys on the outside.

Davis/Lee - These guys were miserable all game. Poor tackling, terrible coverage. There was one point were the 2 of them were mirroring Shady on coverage, and still got burnt. Lee still has time to develop, he seems a bit reckless abandoned on the field at times and needs to focus more. Davis is really a lost cause at this point, they need a real middle LB.

Run defense - It was like watching a follies film. There was a run in the 1st quarter where the ENTIRE defense was chasing McCoy, he was zig zag and they would zig zag right behind him like it was choreographed. The Bills OL dominated at times, and at times the Jets DL dominated. So they can do it, they are either totally gassed, or have no idea where their lane assignments are. They have to step up, cause if a back gets to the 2nd level, he's gaining a really good chunk before the Safeties come down on him.

Positive/Negative - Adams/Maye - I gave them a Positive/Negative because they started out lost, and by the end of the game they ruled the field. Part of the issue was that these guys were trying to overcompensate for the lackluster LBers, and they were getting caught in no man's land. However, by the end of the game someone must have told them to adjust, or they learned from their own mistakes. By the 4th Quarter, Adams and Maye's names were getting called repeatedly. Adams is every bit of what he was at LSU, he's going to keep getting better and better.

CBs (Except Skrine) - Another Positive/Negative because they did well, but they weren't really tested either. When you can get 20-30 yards down the seam, why bother throwing it to the outside. (Skrine also big negative. He must be one of Bowles guys, cause he's really not good anymore. He's never been the player he was with the Browns, and he's regressed. His lame attempts at the ball yesterday was seriously worrying. Throw him on special teams and let him ride out his contract.)

16. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

That's how I feel. I think we need to give Mo the season to see if it really was the injury that held him back though. At the time of resigning, I was all for it. He was Jets draft pick who had been an excellent pro and seemingly a low-key personality. It made sense to invest in him and let Harrison go at $9m+ per season.

I really can't fault Mac for that move at all, regardless of how it turns out longer term

ajax and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  17. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

3rd and long... 2 yard pass to the flat. incomplete.

typical.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  18. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I really thought Maye stood out just about all game, and Adams started slower but ended up playing as well if not better.

I was as frustrated as anybody with all the swing passes and weak play calling, but, what can they really do?

1) There are no serious receiving threats on this team
    2) The O-line couldn't open a hole wide enough for a mosquito to fit through, so there is no run game and thus no play-action threat
    3) The O-line couldn't keep the pocket clean long enough for a QB to complete a 7-step drop anyway.

I felt a lot better about the Jets' play calling after watching Seattle get beat because they basically have no O-line. They ended up using the same kinds of plays by the end of the game and finally having some success--the difference being that they actually have a mobile QB, NFL-caliber WRs, and play-making RBs. When they asked Wilson to drop back and pass downfield, he got obliterated.

westiedog1 likes this.
  19. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

when you don't have any talent on the offensive side of the ball...that's what you see.

20. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I see Captain Hindsight has arrived just in time re the Wilk signing

FJF likes this.