Potential Coaching Candidates thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

He signed all of those contracts with the future in mind. He established all of them with an out after 1-2 years. Money had to be spent anyway.

You can't just sit on that money. You're aware of this, right?

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm well aware of that. But the money wasn't spent correctly.

If he had the future in mind he would've spent the money on players that would still be contributing to this team.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

It wasn't the greatest free agent class in the world. But you're telling me we couldn't have done better than Revis (out of league, torched in 2016), Cromartie (out of league), Skrine (#91 ranked corner PFF 2016), Gilchrist (fringe player, backup Texans safety), and James Carpenter?

We could've gotten two of these players for Revis' contract no problem. We also focused all of our attention on signing him so we had basically no shot of getting certain players.

I only included players still contributing in the NFL, and mainly excluded players that stayed with their team. And I'm sure I missed some.

RB DeMarco Murray
    RB Frank Gore
    RB Jacquizz Rodgers
    RB Shane Vereen
    RB Darren McFadden
    WR Jeremy Maclin
    WR Michael Crabtree
    WR Kenny Britt
    WR Ted Ginn Jr.
    TE Charles Clay
    TE Julius Thomas
    OT Michael Oher
    OT Joe Barksdale
    OG Clint Boling
    OG Mike Iupati
    OL Austin Pazstor
    C/G Rodney Hudson

OLB Pernell McPhee
    OLB Brian Orakpo
    OLB Brooks Reed
    OLB Jabaal Sheard
    ILB Jerrell Freeman
    ILB Mason Foster
    LB Justin Durant
    S Tashaun Gipson
    S Kurt Coleman
    S Da'norris Searcy
    S Darian Stewart

4. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

It should have been done when they were hired but if I had to guess, after a horrible year with Rex and Idzik both being fired, Woody wanted Macc to assemble a team that would be able to compete. Remember the flying "Fire Idzik" banners, the pats winning with Revis, and the bridge that was burnt between Revis and the Jets. Getting Revis, cro, and all the other free agents was an attempt to instantly become competitive and to build an image of success.

Obviously this backfired with Macc and ownership needing to learn that handing out massive contracts to old vets is a recipe for disaster.

Bowles had a talented roster his first year, but talent can only mask things for so long. In his second year he lost the locker room, didn't hold players accountable, made horrible in game adjustments, clock management issues, and challenge usage.

Can he improve? I think he can, but in this situation, when the Jets will likely go 1-15 or 2-14, I just can't get behind bringing back Bowles or Macc. I haven't seen enough out of either of them that makes me comfortable enough to hold the future of the team in their hands.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Getting Revis and Cro was a "lets turn back time and recreate the duo that had so much success under Rex".

It was very shortsighted.

The giants were able to transform their defense based on the premise of signing younger players, entering their prime. Jets went the opposite way and signed old vets who had already experienced their prime.

legler82 and Red Menace like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Precisely. And they spread the wealth around. Nose tackle, corner, pass rusher. Stop the run, rush the passer, stop the pass.

Not try to build an anti-ballistics forcefield of cornerbacks where balls get batted down immediately.

But "that's what Bowles need in order to run his system."

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Double post

8. SonofDinger

SonofDinger Well-Known Member

As of right now, I think Todd Haley would be a great fit for this team. He'll get a second chance after that shitshow he had in KC and he'll get a chance to develop and coach up a #1 overall QB pick.

Plus the fanbase and NY media will eat up his fiery sideline demeanor. Call me crazy, but that's who I want.

9. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I agree on numerous points in your post. I also do not want a first time coach. We have seen those results Carroll, Mangini, Rex, Herm, Bowles. I also like the coaches you mention as possible second time around choices. Haley would be my pick. Kind of has an edge and wouldn't be afraid of New York and all that brings with it.

10. boozer32

someone that has a pulse and is alive. Bowles coaches like someone has a gun perpetually pointed at his head. For a season long tank job he is well qualified. But if you want to win anything in this league please get rid of him fast.

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  11. JulesWinfield89

JulesWinfield89 Active Member

12. JulesWinfield89

JulesWinfield89 Active Member

Whatever names fans throw out that we think the next coach should be you can pretty much be sure it won't be any of them

boozer32 likes this.
  13. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

Woody is forever convinced that it's still sometime between 1965 and 1980, and that this league is run-first, grind out the clock, win every game 10-7 or 6-3, and that the QB's job is to simply hand the ball off to your big, bruising RB. Thus, not much stock is put into selecting QBs or receivers, and every defense is designed to stop Larry Csonka or Franco Harris. And that's why he hires coaches who coach like this is soccer: Score a goal and spend the rest of the game playing defense. Unless we get a guy who realizes that it's the 2010s, and that we need a QB who can carry a team, and a fast defense that can actually catch position players, we're forever screwed.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  14. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I'm not denying mistakes were made. I don't think every signing was bad either.
    I am accounting for the fact that free agency isn't like the draft or waiver wire. It's a two way street and these players would need to want to play for this team. Then you factor in money vs value of these players. A lot of players in FA prefer backloaded contracts VS front loaded, there's just a ton of variables involved, much more than I listed.

He signed front loaded contracts to Vets that are now gone and we will have around 80mil next year to spend in FA. I'm not going to bash Mac too hard in this area of the team.

I'm more sour on some of his picks but I'm cautiously optimistic too.

15. boozer32

The fans in Seattle hopes someone takes Bevell off their hands. They want him gone so I would pass on him.

101GangGreen101 and xxedge72x like this.
  16. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

The guy that makes the most sense is Bill O'Brien who will probably be gone in Houston if they don't make the playoffs.

17. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I like the idea of a head coach getting his second shot after spending time as a coordinator between. Todd Haley would be intriguing

NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  18. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

Huge hell no on all of those.

we need someone with the clout to be Present/GM/Coach.

Give cowher or gruden a blank check.... we need a culture not just a coach

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I fully agree with your last line, but I don't think one guy can do more than one job well. Let them hire a Pres. of Football Ops who knows what he's doing and let him hire a GM and CS. This is what needs to happen, but I doubt Woody will do it.

SonofDinger and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

To me, Bowles coaches like the game is a secondary concern while he's really focused on deciding whether it will be McDonald's or KFC for his postgame meal.

NCJetsfan and boozer32 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.