Potential Coaching Candidates thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

To the OP, that's a pretty good list. I think Josh McDaniels should also be on that list because I think he will be a better HC when he gets his second go around but who knows if he would even want to come here.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Rarely do coordinators, specifically whom have never been a head coach, ever turn down a head coaching job. There's only 32 of those jobs in the world.

We have nothing in the football world to talk about this season. Why does everyone get their damn panties in a bunch over talking about next season where we could have a hope and prayer at properly resurrecting this franchise?

I'm excited for next season if we do it correclty.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

So go post somewhere else. Stop bitching. What do you want to talk about on this board about this team? Whether Forte will get to 1,000 yards in our 15 losses this season?

This could be fun to speculate if y'all stop bitching about it. This is our reality as Jets fans. We will have a top 2-3 pick, tons of cap space and a lot of offensive talent available in free agency. It can exciting if you make it exciting.

There's more posts on this board where people are bitching about talking about next season than there is football discussion.

Play VP of Football Operations. How would you build the 2018 Jets?

#43 Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Josh McDaniels or Sean Payton. Only Peyton can have more control.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  5. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

Sadly this is about as truthful as it gets.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

6. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

This franchise IS doomed. I'd like to apologize for a previous post where I said woody is busy keeping the peace between the US and UK. I was wrong, he's gonna get us in a war.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

This is why barring a miracle Bowles and Mac both have to go and Woody has to convince someone good to take control of football operations. Tell them he's too busy screwing up international relations to meddle with the Jets.

8. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Exactly my point, nobody other than a coordinator with no HC experience. So where does that leave this team?

Next time we get a coach get one with experience otherwise we're just repeating it over and over again.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

9. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Honestly the best thing we can do, is build around the coach then chuck him for a better guy down the road.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

But it's a bit different if we target a proven coordinator with an offensive background that can develop a quarterback. Bowles was a three year coordinator who came to the Jets after having the 24th ranked defense yardage wise the year prior to coming here.

Dirk Koetter is a good example. He had 9 years of coaching experience with offenses ranking in the top 15 6/9 of those years and 3/9 of those years in the top ten. Plus he was a quarterbacks coach by trade.

We hired Mangini, one year as a coordinator & defensive backs coach by trade. Rex had four years as a coordinator (albeit at least really good defenses), and a defensive line coach by trade. Bowles had three years as a coordinator, three games as an interim coach and a defensive backs coach by trade.

Do you think an offensive coordinator whose been in the position for 7-10 years would be a better choice to develop a #1/#2 overall selection at quarterback, or a defensive backs coach?

Toss out some names. I'd trade a third round pick for Sean Payton in a heartbeat and let him make the decision on which quarterback he wants to take and develop.

Todd Haley has had a top 7 offense and a top 5 passing offense (top 15 all 5 years as the OC) the past three years in Pittsburgh.

The coach who gets a crack at developing our franchise quarterback is so crucial to whether this franchise progresses or not.

#50 Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  11. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Who's the one really bitching though?

I'm offering an opinion that is entirely made up around a thread dedicated to a hypothetical scenario in which we "can" our current head coach, in order to speculate on coaches that most likely won't be any better and would only serve as more of the same for the future of this team. History repeats itself, I'm not a fan of Woody, but at least he can see, the way things have been ran, hasn't worked.

So my point is, most fans, don't realize that banging on the table and demanding everyone be fired doesn't work. It never has. It never will.

..and yet, I see it on these boards every single year.

At some point, ya kinda gotta change that culture if you want differing results.

When you continue to do the same thing, over and over, with the expectation of change. That is insanity.

So before you want to come at me because you feel slighted that I'm in some way or fashion taking aim at you for creating this thread, perhaps, you should find the actual point within some of these posts.

I have no problem with the thread, I have a problem with the overall mentality of most Jet fans that are always wanting change but never stopping to think what makes all these other teams so successful.

A big part of that, longevity, working through that struggle to reap the rewards for doing it the right way.

It's just like real life shit. Nothing good ever comes easy, and the one sure way to ensure failure, is to give up when things feel too hard.

I'm tired of seeing it. Year in. Year out.

12. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Maybe the fix is in and he was ensuring we lose.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

So you think that we should keep Todd Bowles for continuity sake despite the fact that he's proven he has absolutely no grasp on how to manage a game, much less having to develop a top young quarterback?

I'm with you on changing the culture, and I agree with the fact that continuity can help.

Yet there will be nothing similar about this team compared to next years team. If it's done correctly we will have effectively rebuilt the entire offense.

It's not like we have Houston Texans type of roster and have a down 6-10 type of year and everyone's wanting a coaching change.

We have a completely clean slate next year and we will have an entirely new offensive cast. I for one, would like to see a head coach brought in that knows how to utilize and develop that cast. Bowles does not and I don't think it's the right call to keep a guy around just for continuity's sake.

How do you change the culture while keeping the same exact staff around?

14. grkmanga31

Although I agree longevity, consistency is key, it shouldn't hold a team hostage if the results are more than lackluster. The problem again is Bowles and Macc had 3 seasons to build something and if anything we remain in the same spot we were after getting rid of Rex and Idzik, no QB, a overrated defense, failed high draft picks, etc.

I don't think fans want change for change sake, but I can only speak for myself. I was a backer of Macc but I've simply had enough. If they came in together, they should probably leave together. No hold over stuff like what happened with Tanny/Rex, and Rex/Idzik.

Push the restart button and perhaps the fact we will have a high pick in a stacked QB class may sway a better coach to take on being HC because it offers them a lifeline, an ability to right the wrongs that this franchise has committed over and over again.

15. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Why would anyone post coaching candidates when the team has absolutely no personnel on offense? What kind of logic is that? How is that remotely fair. The coach has no chance with the offensive players they have. Coming on here and crying about the coach is ridiculous beyond belief.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Not to mention that Maccagnan basically went with the Tannenbaum route in signing a whole bunch of aging veterans to massive contracts in gearing up for a two year run, only to tear completely down in order to try to rebuild it.

Good NFL franchises do not have to undergo complete and utter rebuilds like this. I use the Texans as an example because they can't seem to find the franchise quarterback much like us. Only they use the draft effectively and as a result have only had two losing seasons since 2007.

Brook! and grkmanga31 like this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

So what else would you like to discuss? Throw some topic at me. Matt Forte's chase for 1,000 yards this year? How many sacks will Leonard Williams have?

You realize we have the third most cap space in the NFL and the offense will (or should) look completely different next year right?

It's not complaining about the current coach. It's contemplating what the 2018 Jets will look like, and who will be at the helm for this team.

NCJetsfan, Red Menace and grkmanga31 like this.
  18. grkmanga31

For sure. If I had to guess, Macc probably was instructed by Woody to spend like crazy to excite the fanbase after a very bad year. But still the 2015 draft looks awful, Darron Lee best start playing a lot better very soon, and Hack has been set back by his own doing and because this team continuously screws with the development of young QB's. Not to mention Devin Smith having multiple torn ACL's (which to be fair, isn't really his fault).

He sounds the part, is very intelligent and well spoken but the proof is in the pudding for me. The bad free agent contracts, and lack luster draft picks have set this team back.

As for Bowles, he's ultra-conservative and although its just one game, that punt was inexcusable really.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

The only issue I have with them currently. Like, true issue.

Is why did we wait till year three to blow this thing up? I like what we are doing right now. We needed to scrap the roster down, get younger, and improve this team through the draft.
    My problem is, why did it take this long to do so?

Was it contract structure? Was it a wait and see if we can mix and match vets and young, in hopes a successful roster could be established? It didn't work out, so now the reset button has been pushed? Did Mac have his eyes set on this specific upcoming QB class coming out of college?

A lot of question marks on the timing for me. I'm glad it's happening, I just wish it could've happened much sooner.

Then again, if it had, we wouldn't have gotten a "high" rated QB either. Then we would eventually be left in the same situation we have seen this team in for years now.

Great defense, average offense, no franchise QB.

The timing could play out perfectly for this team in this upcoming draft. If MAC is kept, hits on an actual franchise QB, people would be changing their tune very fast in the way they view Mac.

A lot of hypothetical, I just don't think this is the time to abandon ship. I want to see how this thing plays out personally. I still think MAC is above average at drafting. My opinion.

Bowles has flaws but I can see potential in him as well, so I don't want him to be fired either.

I'm all about longevity with this situation and circumstance.

20. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

It's not about what's fair, and it's not about what's right for Bowles. It's about what's right for the Jets. Consistency is great when done right, but not simply for the sake of it. In the Jets cases, they've been extremely consistent through two head coaches in their investment in defense and it hasn't paid off. The offense has been neglected to the point of being completely unacceptable, subsequently acting as a force negater for the good elements the defense does possess.

The Jets need a new coach because they need someone specializing in offense to reboot the disaster we've allowed it to become. Any ideal head coach and GM would attempt to achieve a proper balance or something resembling it, but that is no longer possible with the neglect the Jets have treated the offense with. An infusion of both talent and intelligence is required on that side of the ball to get things moving again.

It's time the Jets give up the defense first philosophy.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.