2017 General Manager and Head Coach Confidence Poll

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ChrebetCrunch, Sep 4, 2017.

?

What is your confidence level of our GM and HC?

1. I have complete confidence in Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  2. I have NO confidence in Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles

19 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. I have complete confidence in Mac, but not Bowles

9 vote(s)
    9.3%
  4. I have complete confidence in Bowles, but not Mac

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I am cautiously confident in Mac and Bowles

9 vote(s)
    9.3%
  6. I am cautiously confident in Mac, but NOT with Bowles

41 vote(s)
    42.3%
  7. I am cautiously confident in Bowles, but NOT with Mac

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  8. I don't know how I feel about Mac and Bowles.

6 vote(s)
    6.2%
  9. I don't know how I feel about Mac, but not confident with Bowles

11 vote(s)
    11.3%
  10. I don't know how I feel about Bowles, but not confident with Mac

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I voted no confidence in Bowles but some with Mac, but I am interested in seeing how this young team performs. It's a wild card at this point.

If the new coaches, Morton, Bates, Green, Nunn, Mitchell all did their job training and developing the kids this team can be better than reported and that bodes well for Bowles. Because he picked this coaching staff, it may be worth it to keep them in place. We'll see.

Mac hasn't done a great job with draft pics yet in my view, but he makes logical and beneficial trades and he does seem to clear bad contracts from the roster. If Petty or Hack develop, he will have done a great job.

Red Menace and ChrebetCrunch like this.
  2. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

The 4 years before Mac are not his responsibility. He has drafted some key cogs in a monster defense. Leo is going to be a perennial pro-bowler and possibly all-pro. Darron Lee has yet to develop, but has a high upside. Our secondary is slowly, but surely being solidified. We have a solid foundation that we could build upon through free agency.

We could keep going back and forth on this all year, and it will get us nowhere. We have a full 2017 season to see how Adams and Maye develop, and then we have the 2018 off-season to see how we address the offense. We both agree that if we need a major upgrade on our offense next year. 80 plus million and 9 draft picks can definitely do that. Even if Petty and Hackenberg showed signs of improvement this year, we are drafting a QB with our first pick in 2018.

3. ChrebetCrunch

1. I didn't say that I had proof of that.
    2. He hogs up a roster spot. I shouldn't have to explain that to you.
    3. Ryan Leaf also had an upside.

4. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

all good points, and i do not see any of them in bowles. being a dc is most likely his upside.

5. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

frankly, after the recent giants game, i would have fired bowles and the dc, promoted morton to interim hc and greene to dc.
    and petty would start until injury , the hackenberg gets an audition.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I actually enjoyed that movie lmao

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Red Menace likes this.
  7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

So did I, thought Alec Baldwin was great voice over.

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Clear bad contracts from the roster? He didn't inherit any bad contracts. The only bad contracts were the ones he gave out.

Of course if Petty or Hack develop I'll give Mac credit. But at Petty's age and with him always getting banged up, he probably won't become a starter. Hack is a pipe dream.

9. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

1. So you can't use that a reason he set us back
    2. If he hogs up a roster spot so does every other player
    3. Ryan Leaf was a drunk.

10. ChrebetCrunch

1. Yes I can.
    2. Good players don't hog up roster spots
    3. Jamarcus Russell, Tim Couch, and David Carr had upsides too.

11. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

1. No you can't
    2. So every team has 53 good players?
    3. Fat, Cleveland, Expansion Team Offensive Line

12. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

It set us back because he sucks. he's sucking the life out of the position. How else do you explain them going out and spending 6 million on McCown. McCown a certified bum. Since Hack is not showing any progress the Jets are in a holding pattern and you saw that this past draft. Better quality QB with much more upside was available and the Jets passed. They passed because of the optics that they had given up on Hack. We also know his psyche is fragile from his time at Penn State after O'Brien left him and he got smashed every game because of poor team play. So now you have a tank job where the Jets are almost exclusively looking and searching for a number one QB pick. They have to finish worst because they will have competition for that pick. If they draft defense this year Bowles and Macc will be pitchforked out of town. No need for banner flying plane it will be violent.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You're right...we could - and probably will - keep going back and forth on this and get nowhere. Only time and actual performances will tell. But what else do we have to do, watch the Jets lose?

In the meantime, I'd like to counter some of your points.

Yes, the 4 years prior to Macc aren't DIRECTLY on him, but he has to own the continuation of a failed approach.He looked at what happened before he arrived, and then decided to continue addressing "D" first, despite the fact that this approach had not brought the championship we've waited so long for. He could have tried something different but he didn't.

And while you say he's added some cogs in a "monster" defense, so far that hasn't been proven. Yes, Williams is stud, but Lee could easily be a bust, upside or not. And even if Adams and Maye both work out, that's only three out of 11 positions that are sewn up. At this rate it'll take another 3-4 years to get all the pieces of a "monster" defense. Meanwhile, what's he doing about the offense?

And my biggest problem with Macc is that I don't see what his overall plan is, what's his "blueprint", What's his vision of the team's identity? I don't see it. What I see, is what I posted several times before: He's grabbing whoever falls in his lap, or as I like to call it "The Daily Special Approach". Just because a player is great doesn't mean he'll fit the players and scheme he's brought into. You need to decide what your team's identity is and then grab the best players that fit that mold, with of course having coaches that coach to that identity. After three years can anyone say what Macc's vision is? If so, please clue me in.

14. ChrebetCrunch

We are not in enough disagreement for me to continue this debate.

15. ChrebetCrunch

1. I can, and I did
    2. Not arguing against a nonsensical point
    3. Not arguing against a nonsensical point

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

17. ChrebetCrunch

You know what frustrates me about Mac? He pulls off a steal in acquiring Brandon Marshall for what is essentially moving down from the 5th to the 7th. Not only was it a good move at the time, but it also made an immediate impact. Then he traded up to draft Brandon Shell, who has become a serviceable tackle who has some upside. Juston Burris was a nice pick. He goes on to draft bookend safeties who could quite possibly be a force for the next 10 years. I like how he trades down to get more draft picks in the later rounds, which seems to be his wheelhouse. He has an understanding of how to structure contracts so that he can cut underperforming players without wrecking the salary cap. He is well-spoken and I just have this feeling that he understands how to build a team.

BUT...

Devin Smith, Lorenzo Mauldin, Darron Lee, Christian Hackenberg. Fitz's second contract. Darrell Revis.

This is not an all-inclusive list of his good moves vs bad moves, but there is enough here to paint a picture. I think that Mac is adaptable and is capable of improving and learning from mistakes. Bowles is still making the same mistakes 3 years running, and I have less confidence after only 1 week of blunders.

ColoradoContrails and grkmanga31 like this.
  18. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Skrine being awful, Forte contract, Wilkerson possibly never replicating his 2015 production also come to mind on the bad side.

19. ChrebetCrunch

I don't have a problem with Skrine as a slot cb. I'm neutral on Forte. He was, and is, being used wrong. He was overworked last year, and he broke down. At this point in his career, he should be Powell's back up. $12 million over 3 years isn't an awful contract. Wilkerson can still have a bounce back season. If he doesn't, it does look bad on Mac.

20. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Mac has been a mixed bag.

I won't fault him much for spending on vets like Revis, Cro, Skrine, Gilchrist etc. because he had to spend $$ in the wake of Idzik not spending any and Woody giving him the competitive rebuild orders. He rid the team of non-performers under those contracts with the exception of Skrine so he doesn't seem to be adverse to cutting bait like many GM's.

His re-signing of Fitz is inexcusable. Signing Mo Wilk or Sheldon to a big contract had risks either way, he picked the one with fewer off-field issues. It's not his fault Mo has tanked since. At least he gave himself an out from Mo's contract "in case" he tanked like he has.

He had an awful draft in 2015 (Williams fell into his lap so I can't give him credit there) but he did improve the last 2 years. His pick of Hack in round 2 when he could have selected him in round 4 or 5 is inexcusable. He needs to own that but aside from Hack the 2016 picks have been okay. It remains to be seen if Lee can become an impact player as a 1st round guy should but at least he's not Ghost awful. He seems to have picked 2 decent WR in the 2017 draft. The back end is always a crap shoot.

He has drafted 1 OL, Shell, but he has brought in others to replace the ageing line he inherited. This off-season he has a lot of money to spend. One way or another (FA or via draft) he has to upgrade the OL especially if they get a top 3 pick and get their QB.

Now that he has broken the team down we get to see his plan for the rebuild between the FA period this off-season and the 2018 draft. It's these upcoming choices that will define his legacy. It's a real rebuild now, not the Woody dictated "competitive" rebuild. Given his improvement in drafting and his recent shrewd moves in the haul he got for moving Sheldon instead of accepting a compensating pick, claiming Kony off waivers he seems to be growing well into the job after a rocky start.

That's what you want from a 1st time GM, grow into the job and make fewer mistakes as you gain experience. If his trajectory continues this off-season I think he'll be here for a long time.

ChrebetCrunch likes this.