Sam Darnold 2017 Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

May he be a Jet if he is the best prospect.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Good start for Darnold. 5/5 although he had some wiiiide open receivers on that opening scoring drive.

Edit: make that 9/9 for 109 and a touchdown. Including a frozen rope on the run for about 20 or so yards. He also tossed the pitch on the option for the second touchdown. He came to play tonight.

Is Stanford's defense any good? Does anyone know? I know the team is ranked pretty high, but I don't know what the defense is like.

Another edit: announcers just said this might be the best secondary Darnold's ever played.

#2 Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  3. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

Bad decision on that pick

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Deontay Burnett had to lay out for that ball but damn that throw couldn't have been more perfect to the corner.

5. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

The performances today from Rosen, Darnold and Jackson make it hard to root for the Jets tomorrow

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

Root for the jets??? They better lose!!! I'm rooting for them to lose !!!!! We need a QB!!

NCJetsfan and Leicester Jet like this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Incredible play by the corner, but a bad throw on that pick for sure. Even if the corner didn't fall off his route and jump that ball it didn't look like that good of a ball anyways.

3 touchdowns, 4 picks on the season so far. Poor start despite how sharp he's looked thus far against Stanford.

8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

USC has soooo much offensive talent. Stephen Carr is a back up RB on this team...lol

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Couple of bad picks but that was an absolute dime of a throw in the end zone. Perfect anticipation, and dropped it right over the defender.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Ayeee @legler82 as our resident draft expert what do you know about this Stanford kid Keller Chryst? He looks to have a live arm and is huge at 6'5" 240. Does he have a future as a mid-round pick? I know he shredded his knee last year.

Maybe we take one of Rosen/Darnold/Jackson and take another one like this kid in the 4th or 5th like the 'Skins did with RGIII and Kirky.

legler82 likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Exactly why I prefer Rosen or Jackson over Darnold. Team is freaking stacked.

12. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I saw a large potion of USC game yesterday. His OL gives Darnold 5-6 seconds easy, and creates running lanes the size of Washington bridge.

Even if Macc spends all $$ on OL next off season, there is no way Jets will have anything similar.

That said, I liked Darnold. Very mature, very poised.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

I like him as well, I just see other qbs doing more with less. Darnold looks to be far more talented then his previous predecessors in Sanchez and Leinart. However I am still a little skeptical.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  14. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Sam Darnold vs Stanford throws.

Could do away with the 2 int's but he made some ridiculous throws.

15. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

darnold has a lightning quick release, especially on the run. his release is not quite marino style but pretty damn close.

16. legler82

I've been trying to figure out NFL comparison for Darnold for a while now and I finally got it. Brace yourselves, he's a more talented Ryan Fitzpatrick! More specifically, Ryan FitzMAGIC NOT his alter-ego Ryan FitzTRAGIC. I know many of you are going to take this as me making some kind of slight towards Darnold but it's not.

First off, I think many of you are going to be surprise at the Combine that they are going to come in at around the same size. I've seen Darnold stand next to Leinart and other players on his team. He's NOT 6-4, he is closer to 6-2 like Fitzy. Besides the similar size, they share similar play styles and throwing motion IMO, with Darnold having the better arm. I swear if you put on a tape of Fitzy's best Jets highlights, it's like you are getting a glimpse of what Darnold would look like in a #14 Jets' jersey.

17. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

I refuse to watch Fitzy's throwing motion side by side to see if you're right whatsoever or not.

This is not Fitz. His throwing motion looks a lot better than last year and I bet he'll rework it again for next year.

I think he's something like Rodgers but granted it's not a perfect comparison.

18. legler82

I agree Darnold's throwing motion is MUCH improved; kudos to Jordan Palmer. That aside; I don't see having a throwing motion similar to Fitzpatrick as being a problem. Fitzpatrick's biggest issues are that his football IQ many times does not match his actual IQ and that he writes checks with his mind and heart that his arm talent can not cash. As long as Darnold doesn't suffer from those issues, he'll be fine. Remember I'm talking about play style not results. Luke Folk play style is pretty much identical to Tom Brady. IMO. Does that mean he will be drafted in the 6th round, win 5 Superbowls and become the GOAT? No. I think Mahomes plays like Favre; does that mean he is going to be the NFL's iron man and throw INTs like it's candy on Halloween? Maybe but then again maybe not. Rosen reminds me of Eli...you get the picture.

Though he lacks the same lightning quick release and arm strength, Rodgers is a good comp too. His release speed and arm probably lies somewhere in between Fitzpatrick's and Rodgers'. Think about it, if Fitz played as smart as he is in real life and had the arm talent to complete some of the passes he attempts, he'd be Aaron Rodgers. At their best Rodgers, Fitzpatrick and Darnold all have that controlled frenetic play style but with various degrees of talent of course, with Fitz being the least talented, Rodgers the most and Darnold somewhere in the middle. The question is he closer to Fitz and the talent at USC makes people think that he is closer to Rodgers?

I remember people saying that Mahomes wouldn't be able to "get away" with a lot of the crazy throws he attempted in college in the NFL. I disagreed with that notion because I felt Mahomes had that rare arm talent to squeeze those same throws when the windows got tighter. I can't say the same about Darnold. As we've seen in his first 2 games, he is not getting away with it now.

19. 101GangGreen101

You really out there to ruin peoples' day aren't you? I watched the tape above and I see it a little bit as well, I think Darnold releases it a little bit quicker. I see a little bit of Romo / Rivers in his game. More-so Romo. His ability to improvise.

20. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

This is accurate but depressing at the same damn time.