Josh Rosen 2017 Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Sep 2, 2017.

1. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

How did Rosen look tonight, did he look as good as his 18/20 with 275 and 4 TD stat line? I didnt have access to a tv or laptop today.

2. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Rosen's pocket mechanics are absolutely perfect. He could be the cleanest QB mechanically since Luck.

3. Big Cat

4. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Amazing. His ball placement is the best of the crop so far. He can literally throw every route with ease, lead his receivers etc. He tossed 5 TDs today, and at least 2 of those TDs were thrown in REALLY nice windows.

BTW- Sling is worth the 25/mo to get all the PAC12 games if you're interested in seeing Rosen and Darnold every week.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  5. Big Cat

6. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

crap if he continues this the jets should give him a hot tub in every freakin room next year.

be good to have a nice jewish boy as QB of the ny jets.

boozer32 and NYJFOREVER like this.
  7. rockyusmc2003

Rosen makes that whole offense tick. Aside from Andrews, his WRs are young and inexperienced. Moreover, the running game only exists because of what Rosen can do. He definitely doesn't have the surrounding cast that Darnold has.

I'm very wary of his OL, they miss a lot of blocking assignments, and he's taken some really big shots in both games. He hurt his right wrist after one of the shots (although I think that one was a roughing the passer). Hope he makes it through the season.

NCJetsfan, Jonathan_Vilma and Big Cat like this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

And he changes his arm angles when he needs to. The way he lead his receivers from what I've seen have been perfect. He's definitely looking better than Darnold at this junction. I can't wait to see the two of them go at it on November.

9. rockyusmc2003

This is where I am too right now.

However, Darnold looked TOTALLY different than last week, and made some amazing throws tonight against elite competition. He threw one boneheaded pick, but I'll concede that based upon his overall performance. That said, at this point Rosen is much more polished as a passer than Darnold, and has more experience than Darnold. Darnold may have a higher overall ceiling than Rosen, but Rosen's demeanor makes up the difference for me. I really like both of these guys.

USC is a far superior team, which may make things a nightmare for Rosen come November. But, I'm really excited to see if Rosen can rise to the occasion. Until then, I want to see how he does against Stanford in 2 weeks, and Washington next month.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Mac was at the game yesterday

Big Cat likes this.
  11. joe

joe Well-Known Member

"Darnold has the benefit of a good team behind him (unlike Rosen, Josh Allen..)"

Sorry not to be in full lockstep (yet) in this Josh Rosen circle jerk but those who did follow the Pac 12 last year will recall:

USC was 1-3 ...1-3....before Clay Helton pulled the trigger and installed a redshirt freshman in as QB. USC ends up fishing the season on a 9-game winning streak and a 52-49 win over a hot Penn State team in the Rose Bowl (after being down by 14 points in the 4th quarter).

The guy's a winner.

Further, that "good talent" USC team lost 11 starters from last year beginning with their OL.

And ref. to "the other QB" thread, i.e. the Josh Allen: "I wanna be the man!" thread: . talk is cheap.

Back to Rosen: . they play Stanford (real competition) in 2 weeks. Until then...

Looks like he did just that.

Granted it wasn't against powerhouse Hawaii who UCLA beat; a Hawaii team coming off wins against Western Carolina and UMass (barely) but still...

He already did - in 2017.

EDIT: Least we forget Baker Mayfield who only lit up #2 Ohio St. in Columbus (If only he were a little taller)...

and Lamar Jackson's who's been as good as anyone.

#71 joe, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  12. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Rosen balled out against Hawaii - but yet again it was Hawaii.

Regardless, good to see him pick up where he left off.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I mean, if you are going to talk about Rosen doing work on Hawaii, what does that say about Darnold against Western Michigan in Week 1? I can't wait to see these 2 go at it on the big stage though, who rises to the challenge? Both I would definitely take on my squad. We'll be contending with the 49ers.

This would be a good draft to get 2 QBs and just get rid of Hack and Petty. Move on from them. Could Baker Mayfield drop to the 3rd? I think he has very little size and doesn't have a great arm, but he's a fighter.

boozer32 likes this.
  14. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I don't like how he sorts of hops at the end of his drops rather than planting that back foot. Other than that he is a walking QB 101 instructional video.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I noticed that also. I think he's aligning his stance with his head as he surveys the field. Probably not the best way to adjust his stance, but an indication that he is really scanning the entire field. I'd worry about it being something defenses learn to read to figure out when he has given up on half the field. It's not as bad as burping the baby but it's something for them to read other than his eyes.

He does a lot of pump fakes and it would be interesting to see how that aligned with his rapid foot movements.

16. grkmanga31

Darnold has a very weird throwing motion a mix between Fitz/Rivers. Granted, I'm not gonna pass on Darnold because of an elongated throwing motion. I don't think you can go wrong with either of them honestly, so assuming both declare, Jets really need to take care of business and lose enough to make sure they get the first overall pick.

Rosen has a bit of cockiness and moxy to him, I think that's a big plus in the New York market. Darnold strikes me as being more timid but damn did he ball out vs Stanford.

I'm looking forward to when UCLA plays USC. Rosen will have to play lights out to overcome the talent deficiency.

17. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Scouting safeties?

18. rockyusmc2003

Darnold reminds me a lot of Aaron Rodgers, he can sling the ball at all angles. I wouldn't say he has a wind up, he generally gets rid of the ball really fast.

The things that drives me nuts (just a pet peeve from coaching), he's very jumpy in the pocket. Sometimes he looks like he's on a pogo stick in the backfield, but oddly enough it works for him. He doesn't look it, but the kid is elusive and can throw very well on the run (like Rodgers).

Trying to not let 2 weeks and last season sway me towards one or another at this point. I hope by the end of October I've seen enough to have a favorite.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  19. grkmanga31

I think both are pretty mobile, and can do enough to get out of the pocket. I saw one instance that drove me nuts with Darnold where he almost lost the football trying to evade the rush vs. Stanford. I'm looking forward to watching both going forward, really think both are some of the best QB prospects to come out in awhile.

20. rockyusmc2003

Darnold can use his feet to get out of trouble and take off for a first down, he's really well equipped to do that. Rosen can move, but he would rather not take off unless it was absolutely necessary. Either way is fine with me, I don't think either guy would take a beating in the NFL because they wanted to be mobile (which is an exciting, and very scary thing about Lamar Jackson).

grkmanga31 likes this.