Lamar Jackson 2017 Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Big Cat, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

It might be time to start considering this guy as a #1 overall prospect. He looks like he could be a great player. If he starts running to throw instead of to run, like he does in the first play, he's a scary quarterback.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  2. Big Cat

3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

May he be a Jet if he is the best prospect.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Seems a bit smallish to me. Maybe he looks bigger in real life.

5. Big Cat

They have him listed S 6'3" but that definitely seems generous

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I want Lamar to be a good QB, I hope he continues to show patience in the pocket and continue to grow as a QB. He's definitely a better passer than Michael Vick

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Worse is how thin he is, and I'm not sure he could add much weight/size without losing speed and quickness.

You gotta love his arm, accuracy, vision, athleticism, escapability, quickness, speed, and how he prolongs plays, but if Louisville doesn't start blocking better for him, he'll be recovering from sort of major surgery, and not playing anywhere next year. If the Jets draft him, they damn well better seriously upgrade their OL or he'll never last a quarter.

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

LGIII didn't last very long either.

9. 101GangGreen101

He'll make it though the season. Honestly, I feel more confident he will in comparison to Rosen who took some serious hits. All Jackson needs to do is add maybe 10 to 15 pounds to his frame. He wouldn't lose any quickness or explosiveness depending on the regime.

You want to see him be able to win from within the pocket as well, and specifically against good defenses. That was the knock on him last year. I'd say prior to this season, he had maybe a 3rd / 4th round grade on him.

10. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

He was significantly better than this last year, and is an incredibly smart QB running a complicated O scheme. He's really not that much smaller than say Jared Goff or Bridgewater. He does need to slide more, when scrambling, at this point he relishes taking on contact and that isn't going to fly. But he's only 20, so there will be plenty of time for him to add more on to his frame in the coming years.

11. 101GangGreen101

In terms of his scrambling, I want to see him pick and choose his battles a little bit better. I want to see him continue to win from within the pocket as well. He'll probably gain some muscle well before the combine. He definitely looks improved, looking forward to seeing his next 2 weeks.

@UNC
    Vs Clemson

12. 101GangGreen101

2:12 --- the next 2 plays.

It's plays like these, I like most about Jackson, and I want to continue to see more of this as well as the throws in the pocket he demonstrated all game long That Purdue tape has some really good throws. REALLY tight windows as well.

Big Cat likes this.
  13. Nothing against the guy as a prospect..

We saw w Geno Smith that w.o a creative offensive mind willing to embrace what a dual threat QB brings to the table instead of severely restraining it w outdated conservative gameplans,a guy like Jackson stands no chance w the Jets.

JetLifeLo likes this.
  14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Is a geno a dual threat though? I don't remember thinking geno was that much of a threat with his legs.
    As for Jackson, it's been a long time since we had an electric offensive player. Not sure how long he would last but it's intriguing for sure

15. While not a classsic dual threat Geno still is a new era style of QB who always had the ability to win w his legs & likely was never a fit for a conventional pro style O.

The jets continue to be completely unimaginative offensively & prioritize "complimentary football" which translates to "win with defense by avoiding turnovers".Not every QB fits that mandate & most certainly not a new era QB..

It also doesn't help when you CANT win with defense in today's NFL,much less one w severe flaws like the jets..

New era QBs are about putting up points..throw first ask questions later..until the jets have a hierchy w the guts to try & win outscoring people rather than playing scared..these type of QBs make zero sense & actually become counterproductive

JetLifeLo and FJF like this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

The thing is Geno didn't know when to use his legs and was an awful decision maker, especially against the blitz. The Gailey offense was a perfect fit for Geno and could be for Jackson too. The Morton offense, roll outs and throws to the TE. Allow that to create a vertical passing game by stretching the field horizontally first, then vertically. Jets have to start taking the strengths of these QBs and implement it into the system.

So far, I don't see "Geno" in Lamar Jackson. I see a strong armed QB that actually can play in the pocket and has pretty decent decision making. Only 1 game on film this year, so being cautious. Lamar is also running a pro style offense in Louisville this yr.

All Gas No Shake and Big Cat like this.
  17. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Watching Jackson warm up w/o pads. Man that dude is skinny.

18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Are you comparing him Geno the ex-Jet/current NY Giant or Geno the draft prospect? As a prospect, Geno was ahead of Jackson as a passer.

JetLifeLo likes this.
  19. Big Cat

On ESPN right now vs UNC

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

No way, he's a far different QB. He's Michael Vick, but a better passer. Last week, I saw Jackson display better touch on his passes, he's really improved as a pocket passer. Geno, he didn't display great ball placement ability and throwing receivers open, Jackson is making throws in crazy tight windows.

He's on now.

EDIT - about Geno, you could say mechanically Geno was ahead of Jackson, but again Jackson is showing improvement at a remarkable rate.