Mike M. has to go

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets12, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Mahomes and Hunt are being coached by Andy Reid.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Please stop with your logical information, it has no place here. Mahomes is light years away from Alex Smith, but I am positive he would thrive instantly with the John Morton offense w/ the Jets.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We don't have have the coach to use/develop either of them correctly so it doesn't really matter. Hunt would've been Kevan Barlow here, and Maholmes would've been Kellen Clemens.

Although I do agree. You can't build an offense if you don't try to acquire the horses to do so.

It's unbelieveable that it's been 8 years since we selected an offensive player in the first round (Sanchez).

Kyle Wilson, Wilk, Coples, Milliner/Richardson, Pryor, Leo, Lee, Adams.

Only 4/9 remain. Yet we continue with the same strategy through our third general manager in that period. It's really unfuckingbelieveable.

@NCJetsfan the draft being a crapshoot doesn't excuse general managers from making shitty picks. That's like an architect whose building collapses saying 'well it WAS a tough project.' It's no miracle that certain teams always draft well, or hit a 5 year period where they are always pulling starters out of the draft.

The 2009 draft is one of the worst drafts ever. Is it a surprise that the Patriots pulled three starters and a kick returner out of that draft? Not really.

S Patrick Chung
    LT Sebastian Vollmer
    KR Brandon Tate
    WR Julian Edelman

In the same draft we got Coples, Hill, etc.

So that wasn't Maccagnan you say, huh?

2015 NFL draft

The Chiefs got pro bowl corner Marcus Peters, starting offensive lineman Mitch Morse, #3 receiver Chris Conley, pro bowl special teamer D.J. Alexander.

We got Leo & pile of hot garbage. Maybe a backup linebacker in Mauldin.

Every pick doesn't have to be a Pro Bowl player. But you need to be finding some contributors in every draft.

#123 Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  4. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

John Dorsey was fired by the Chiefs despite transforming that team. Apparently he was fired because he was making it known that the Chiefs really wanted Mahomes. If Jets clean house at seasons end John Dorsey is the first guy I call and try to get as my GM. I'm sure he recognizes the mistake he made, but he undoubtedly has an eye for talent.

legler82 likes this.
  5. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I'd hire him as president now, just to lock it up.

Let him clean house at the end of the season as he see's fit.

6. grkmanga31

I would too but I think Chris Johnson will ride out at least half to 3/4 of the season before he starts to really kick the tires on full blown change assuming our record is bad.

He has selected so many great players for the Chiefs, he is my clear cut favorite to run the show. Can't replicate that kind of scouting ability

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he's the guy who built the Packers too and advocated for drafting Aaron Rodgers......bring him in

8. grkmanga31

This is John Dorsey's resume:
    As administrator:
    That to me is a very impressive experience list. Packers, Seahawks and Chiefs are all superbowl contenders currently. I would give him the keys to the franchise and tell him to hire whoever he deems fit to be the HC honestly.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good post. I agree with this. I think that his basic principles and theory are good, it's his execution that has been lacking. In fairness, this draft looks a lot better than his previous two, yet he still ignored the OL and didn't do that much for the offense. Simple competence is not enough.

I also have to think that he is behind Hack's getting so many opportunities and probably Petty's getting so few. If he's right, that's one thing. At this juncture, it doesn't look like he is, at least in terms of this season. Hack looks like he will need another 4 months or maybe a year before he is ready to play and may never be. For all of his other football talents, he simply may not have the right mind set or confidence, or natural instincts that an NFL QB needs. Petty is definitely more ready to play than Hack. He is much more polished, poised, his arm is just as good as Hack's and he has more confidence. Even if Petty is just an NFL- quality backup, that's something the Jets haven't had in at least 2 decades, and playing him and getting him more experience would benefit the team more than playing McCown or Hack.

If he's too proud to admit that he made a mistake with Hack or any draft pick, it's not good. He needs to be confident enough that if a pick isn't producing and developing, that he will cut bait and move on.

Right now, I'm on the fence with him, but leaning towards firing him too. I'm gonna wait and see how this year's draft picks pan out. If Adams, Maye, McGuire, Stewart and Hansen (and maybe even Dylan Donohue) all pan out and make solid contributions this year from the draft, I can't see firing him, because maybe that will show that he has learned and improved. Even so, if I were Woody or Chris Johnson, I would make it very clear to him that the offense, and in particular the OL better be significantly addressed in FA and the draft next season or he's gone.

OTOH, the problem is that imo Bowles has clearly demonstrated that he is not a competent HC. I don't think he should be kept under any circumstances. (I'd almost rather have someone who has never coached football before as HC than have Bowles back.) I don't think Mac can be kept and allowed to hire the next HC if Bowles is fired, because if he makes a poor hire or doesn't significantly upgrade the offense in the next offseason, we're still stuck, and would then be hiring a new GM and either he'd have to accept the HC that Mac hired, or we'd be firing that HC after one season.

I really think that hiring Dorsey either as Team President or GM is the best solution. I'd give him his choice and give him a blank check. If he thought that Mac could develop as GM and he was content to be Team President but have major input or final say-so on the draft, I'd do that. I would give Dorsey complete control.

#129 NCJetsfan, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  10. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

Bowles wasn't a Mac hire. He was on the list of acceptable candidates, but we will never know who was number 1 on that list. Bowles and Mac are essentially on even footing. They both report to Woody. Bowles makes coaching decisions and Mac makes personnel decisions. Has that formula ever worked? I'm asking, and not being snarky.

11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

It hasn't. So Mac has to go. [Just quoting some people here - not that I agree with it.]

P.S. I don't think Polian could make a competent roster with Bowles. [Or many other legendary GMs for that matter.]

My point here is: a GM can do only so much. He shops the grocery, so to speak. Does he actually cook? That's the job of the coaches. So - if the food is shitty, maybe the shopper picked shit food, but then, maybe, JUST MAYBE, the cook is a complete dumb fuck.

P.S. I thought someone was looking for a President of the Football operation candidate a while ago. John Dorsey looks like a guy we should go after.

#131 Zach, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

With the right Pres. of Football Ops - and Dorsey sounds like he could be - Macc MIGHT be salvageable. But without someone who really knows how to build a winning franchise working with him as his boss, I don't know if Macc can be the guy to take the Jets to the SB and that's all I really care about. I don't have enough years left on this planet to wait for him at the rate he's going.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

I've been beating the drum for a Pres. of Football Ops, but I'm not alone in that. And yes, Dorsey sounds perfect.

To go off your "grocery shopper" analogy, Macc might be a good shopper, saving money, and finding bargains, but he doesn't understand how to build and produce a good meal - he doesn't possess a chef's understanding, and that's what the Jets really need: a world class chef. And if they got that, maybe Macc could be retained as the "shopper". Bowles? I wouldn't allow him to be the dishwasher - broken plates and dishes cut into the profit margin.

14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Where do you think the shopping list comes from? It obviously doesn't come out of its own, and it certainly does not come from the shopper. He doesn't even fucking cook for Christ's sake.

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I'm hungry

legler82 and All Gas No Shake like this.
  16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

So was I - so I cooked some curry-udon. [Japanese people are indeed genius.]

17. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

It's worked. This is how the Giants and Steelers do it.

I do not think they are on equal footing though. I believe Woody was sold on the vision of the rebuild by Mac and I don't think Bowles is a part of the future. He was just left in place as a caretaker because there was probably nobody better willing to take on this team. Next year with $ to spend and a young franchise QB, the Jets will be a more desirable destination.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

IMO the jets will have to be no better than 2-14 to really force johnson to clean house. i do think there already is an understanding between them that a 4-12/5-11 record will be acceptable with the current roster, youth movement, and upcoming cap space.

19. ColoradoContrails

I thought that was clear: the chef (Pres. of FB Ops) makes the shopping list. Right now Macc (the Shopper) is making and filling the list and from what I've seen he doesn't have a coherent plan (menu).

20. Beki

Beki Active Member

It's one thing that I hope we will fire Bowles at the end of the season, that should be the first step.
    However, I will wait till our last match to make my final opinion about Macc's fate (to see how his draft picks will develop). However, to be honest, he did nothing during 3 offseasons which proved he is a good GM, but I'm in for doing a run for Dorsey.