2017 General Manager and Head Coach Confidence Poll

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ChrebetCrunch, Sep 4, 2017.

?

What is your confidence level of our GM and HC?

1. I have complete confidence in Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  2. I have NO confidence in Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles

19 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. I have complete confidence in Mac, but not Bowles

9 vote(s)
    9.3%
  4. I have complete confidence in Bowles, but not Mac

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I am cautiously confident in Mac and Bowles

9 vote(s)
    9.3%
  6. I am cautiously confident in Mac, but NOT with Bowles

41 vote(s)
    42.3%
  7. I am cautiously confident in Bowles, but NOT with Mac

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  8. I don't know how I feel about Mac and Bowles.

6 vote(s)
    6.2%
  9. I don't know how I feel about Mac, but not confident with Bowles

11 vote(s)
    11.3%
  10. I don't know how I feel about Bowles, but not confident with Mac

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I like Mac, but his approach to the OL may be a fatal flaw that does him in.

Bowles is even shakier imo. I think his achilles heel is Kacy Rodgers.

2. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

Maybe you're not looking at the overall picture. You don't just draft a QB because you need one. Like I said, if you whiff on a high QB pick, it sets your team back by ten years. We don't need an ok QB, we need a franchise QB, and Mac felt that he had a better shot at getting it right in 2018, than getting it almost right in 2017. Drafting Hackenberg at 2 has already set us back a few years. We may just have mortgaged the farm to move up 5 picks to get Trubisky had we not had Hackenberg.

Red Menace likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

We've been set back already...47 years. If a GM is worth his salt, then he should know how to evaluate QBs. If he couldn't tell that Mahomes was better than Hack, he should be fired right now.

We've - not necessarily you and I - ave argued about whether its worth the risk to draft a QB with your first pick, and those who say no would have to see a QB guaranteed and anointed by Namath himself (or whomever they put the most faith in) before they would ever take a QB with the 1st pick. I'm pretty sure most of these people also believe in defense first, last, and always. But given the massive impact a FQB makes, you HAVE to roll the dice when you have a decent shot at one. And unlike KC, they wouldn't even have had to use picks to trade up!

IMO had Macc drafted Mahomes, then MAye, then Hunt, the Jets would be waaay ahead on the rebuild.

4. ChrebetCrunch

I don't think for a second that Mac thought that Hackenberg is better than Mahomes, but I do think that he didn't think it was worth such a high pick. Bryce Petty is better than Hackenberg, so I'm not sure how Mahomes being better than Hackenberg justifies taking him at 6.

5. ColoradoContrails

The consensus was that Mahomes was possibly the #1 QB, certainly one of the top 3, which is better than Petty was ranked, meaning Mahomes has much higher upside. Obviously Macc didn't think Mahomes was worth it, but that's my point - he doesn't know how to judge QBs.

6. ChrebetCrunch

It's irrelevant whether or not Mahomes is a better option than Hackenberg or Petty. Many QBs are better than Hack and Petty. He felt that Jamal Adams was a better safety and a leader, than Mahomes was a franchise QB. He quite possibly could be wrong, but he also may be right.

I'm not going to determine whether or not Mac can evaluate QBs after three years. If we don't have a franchise QB in 2018, then I'll make that determination. We are arguing opinion, and we can't determine whose opinion is right until 2019.

7. ColoradoContrails

Of course we are, that's all any of this is, regardless of how many facts or stats we may use, in the end we choose the ones that support our case, but there ones we ignore if they don't help our case.

It's clear though that at this point neither is convinced the other is right, so as you said, we'll just have to see how things unfold.

boozer32 likes this.
  8. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Well, you'll be seeing alot of them this year because they will on the field alot. Macc traded down alot in this years draft and its not looking so well. But we will see how they develop.

9. boozer32

I think he was wrong Mahomes was the better pick for the Jets. Macc could have traded down and still got Mahomes. Safeties are not gonna win you games. Let's just put that out there. The Jets knew their offense was awful last year and they knew Hack was a human turd and they looked the other way and went once again to the defense. A defense coach by a defensive coach who can't coach.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. boozer32

It would have gone a long way in getting the fanbase excited this year. You would think with defense drafted high every year they would be stellar. I'm talking Steel Curtain, Fearsome Foursome like. Instead its just a bunch of guys running around chasing the opposition. No sack masters, blitzes are a joke, definately not a stout front four.

11. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

How the hell did drafting Hackenberg set us back?

12. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Picking a 2nd round QB, and then stripping all the talent around him = second round pick being set back even more. I liked Hack, thought he was screwed over at Penn State. Sits one year to get his head right and to focus on his mechanics (which does look improved) but now he has a lackluster grasp on the offense (learned 2 offensive systems in 2 years), the o -line is garbage, and we don't have safety nets in Decker and Marshall anymore.

So assuming Hack doesn't turn out to be anything, or he doesn't until next season, that would mean 2 second round picks (Smith and Hack) who haven't had any immediate impact on a team that lacks talent to begin with.

13. ChrebetCrunch

1. We could have still drafted Hackenberg at 3 or 4, and chosen someone better with our second pick.
    2. He hogs a roster spot
    3. We didn't draft another QB because of the sunken cost theory.

When you draft a QB at 1 or 2, you are stuck with him until you have tried to squeeze every ounce of toothpaste out of him.

14. ChrebetCrunch

Defense wins games by allowing fewer points than the offense scores, not to mention the points off of turnovers. This fallacy that a defensive player can't win you games is just flat out wrong. Playmaking defensive players win games both directly and indirectly.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  15. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

I don't know what to think about Mac. He tries and some of his picks have promise but his focus seems to be rather narrow and directed. It almost seems like the gameplan is to overload on one position group at a time and hope something shakes out. It's a decent enough idea if that's what it is but these picks need to start showing up as something more than average. I like how well he's done with sifting through the scrap heap for players though.

Bowles on the other hand seems like a lost cause. Dude had almost zero growth as a coach in year two and showed no inclination towards it in the preseason either. I suppose we'll see if he can get his shit straight in regards to clock and personnel management but I really don't have very high hopes of it happening. He did let the kids play in the preseason, so that's something I guess.

#75 hastygreen, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    boozer32 likes this.
  16. boozer32

I agree but we are nowhere near that type of defense nor do we have a coach that can get them there. So why keep having a draft statergy like that?

17. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

1. You have no proof of that
    2. Lol what!
    3. He was a talented QB with upside.

We aren't set back because of him

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I chose [Cautiously optimistic with Mac, but not with Bowles] option.

If anything, Mac knows how to shed [suck] out of the roster. A big plus, if I might add.

If he learns to address the OL this coming spring, then he probably has done about as much as he could have by that point.

19. ColoradoContrails

Defense CAN win games as you say, but when your offense sucks, and turns the ball over and can't consistently score, your defense is going to break down, and isn't that what we've seen? The only exception is when you have a MONSTER "D" that can consistently shut down an opponent (86 Bears; Steel Curtain; Purple People Eaters; etc.), then you might get by with an offense as shitty as the Jets have had. But the Jets have nowhere near that type of defense, despite having invested 7 straight #1 picks, in addition to the majority of higher picks and FA money on the unit, AND hiring Defensive Coordinators as HC! FInally, the NFL has been transformed into an "O"-slanted league, and the Jets are going against that trend by trying to win with "D".

If they don't show me this year that they get this, I'm done.

20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I would hope that no GM would mortgage the future for the possibility of a FQB.

The draft has proven that a FQB can be taken with a second or 3rd round pick as long as there is a good CS and a good supporting cast for said QB to come in and be developed.

The days of Elway and Manning coming out of the draft and winning games solely on their arms and willing their teams to victory with very little to work with are done, college QBs are not being developed like that anymore.

I wholeheartedly agree with your point regarding taking a QB just because you need one, we have seen many teams reach for QBs, Weeden, Manziel, Akili Smith, Paxton Lynch, Goff.

These are some of those examples where teams have been hurt by the mentality of grabbing a QB high.

While Mahomes has a good HC, he and Mitchell have done the same thing that Petty has done in preseason against the number 2s and 3s of the opposing team.

When those guys prove themselves in the regular season with a talented team around them, like Wilson and Dak Prescott then we can be upset that the Jets passed on them.

ChrebetCrunch likes this.