2017 General Manager and Head Coach Confidence Poll

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ChrebetCrunch, Sep 4, 2017.

?

What is your confidence level of our GM and HC?

1. I have complete confidence in Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  2. I have NO confidence in Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles

19 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. I have complete confidence in Mac, but not Bowles

9 vote(s)
    9.3%
  4. I have complete confidence in Bowles, but not Mac

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I am cautiously confident in Mac and Bowles

9 vote(s)
    9.3%
  6. I am cautiously confident in Mac, but NOT with Bowles

41 vote(s)
    42.3%
  7. I am cautiously confident in Bowles, but NOT with Mac

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  8. I don't know how I feel about Mac and Bowles.

6 vote(s)
    6.2%
  9. I don't know how I feel about Mac, but not confident with Bowles

11 vote(s)
    11.3%
  10. I don't know how I feel about Bowles, but not confident with Mac

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

That $6mil heist Fitz pulled off was on the GM. Drafting defense early and often we were told was a group effort with input from everyone (their words). Share the success, share the blame.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

After reflection I sit back and, I think Bowles handled this QB issue better then I thought. If Hack is as bad as indicated, perhaps he could've gotten Petty more snaps, but at least he gave Hack an opportunity to show what he could do.

I voted for, "I don't know how I feel about Mac and Bowles."

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Mac stamps the card. Gms get graded for the personnel decisions. If he is deferring the responsibility we might as well just hire a negotiator for contracts and let the coach go nuts

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  4. FJF

I feel like he did backwards. If he wanted the kids to win the job he should have gave them the bulk of reps when camp first started and there was more time for coaching, if it was obvious they weren't going to grab it they could have used that 3rd game to give mccown his reps and the 4th let the kids split.

Red Menace and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I know McCown is bad and all, but perhaps he didn't like what he saw from the other guys hence that kindergarden comment earlier in OTAs. He gave Hack the opportunity to take the reigns. I mean at least he gave them a shot, I don't think he gave Petty a fair assessment, but it's tough to evaluate both QBs.

It was Mac's responsibility to bring in a vet, not sure if it was a good move at all. The thing about Bowles is, he is going to play the best player no doubt about it. Hack was right there with McCown earlier on and received more reps, but that went down-hill really quickly as TC continued on. He gave him a shot. He could've handled it better, he wasn't perfect but he gave the kids a shot. I don't think he thinks much of Petty to be honest. Something in camp he saw he didn't like.

FJF likes this.
  6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

We had that in Idzik and Tanny but they made them both GM's. Baad Moooves..

Mac may stamp the card, but not without input from the HC and he gets his input from his CS. At least in a sane organization so perhaps I'm wrong in this case.

7. FJF

He is the gm,the draft is his baby. Just like I won't blame him for a bad timeout or challenge and I can't blame Todd for a bad pick.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  8. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

oh please. Bill Belichick never did much when he was coaching the browns. His first year in NE he was 6-10. In his second year he was 0-2 then Lewis knocked out Bledsoe. Enter Tom Brady and they win the super bowl. In 2008 when Brady went down in game 1 Bellichick did not make the playoffs. Check his record in games Brady did not start and it is under .500. Brady has made him look like a genius.

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Belichick didn't make the playoffs, but he went 11-5 with Matt Cassel. It was the only time an 11-5 team ever missed the playoffs. I don't think he did much early in his coaching tenure because for all his brilliance he had to learn how not to drive his players crazy.

10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Bill Walsh had 3 straight losing seasons 2-14, 2-14 and 6-10 when he was hired as HC of Niners, he drafted Montana in the 3rd round in his second year and developed him in his third year. Well I think you know the rest.

TwoHeadedMonster and tomdeb like this.
  11. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Aggregating the results so far it would seem that the average poster (like myself) wants Bowles gone and is not sure what to make of Mac.

ColoradoContrails and boozer32 like this.
  12. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I was a Macc fan till this last draft. Did not like the back to back safeties. But now looking at his 3 drafts he left alot of talent on the board. Lee and Hack aren't looking so good either. His best attribute has been UDFA. That is no way to build a team. That is why I went 2nd from the bottom. I'm crystal clear about Bowles and he needs to retire or take up gardening. Coaching is not his present or future.

13. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

I LOVE the back to back safeties picks. Both safety positions were a glaring need, and bookmark safeties were available. If this pans out, we don't have to worry about safety for the next 10 years. We have 9 picks to find bookend tackles, guards, and center. If he uses the first three picks on a QB, and two OL, I'll be a happy man. If he drafts defense first, I am starting a petition to fire his ass. Unless a can't miss QB is available at 1, 2, or 3, I wouldn't mind trading down a few spots for more picks.

boozer32 and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You're certainly entitled to your opinion - and I often appreciate the points you make - I would suggest that you keep score of how many games these two safeties win compared to the number that might well have been won with a QB or RB taken with that 1st pick. Safety was an area of need, but nearly as big a need as upgrading the offense IMO.

It goes without saying that I fully agree with your point about if they draft defense first again.

15. ChrebetCrunch

Thanks. I'm glad that someone actually enjoys my posts.

This is a finger in the dyke situation. We stuck our fingers in the safety holes and left a hole at QB and OL. If we plugged only one safety hole and drafted an OL, we would still have a hole at safety. Jamal Adams was a no brainer at 6. Best available player and best available safety. I'm not sure if Marcus Maye was BPA, but we did add a bookend safety who is a known leader on the field and in the locker room. The theme of this offseason was unloading locker room cancers, and adding some leadership. The 2017 OL draft class was weak, and it may have influenced Mac's decision. We likely could have found two OL in the 3rd and 4th round, so the Stewart and Hansen picks are a bit suspect, but at least the picks were offense.

16. ColoradoContrails

There are several problems I have with what Macc did this year.

First, drafting "D" with the 1st pick AGAIN! You say that Adams was a "no brainer", and I'll counter an say that it showed no brains. The Jets have focused on the "D" for YEARS, and where has it gotten them? As good as Adams may be, he will never be the centerpiece of the team. Look at Revis in his prime, or Ronnie Lott to use a Safety - they were great and did influence games, but they never carried a team on their back the way a great QB - or even a great RB - can. This leads to me second problem...

Macc hasn't shown that he has an overall plan or blueprint for building this team. Given that he's taken 2 "D" guys with his first two #1 picks you might even say if he has a blueprint it's "Build a great defense and win". But I don't even see that because every great defense has at least one great pass rusher and where is his? His "blueprint" seems to be only based upon BPA - whatever the market has "on sale" at the moment is what he's going to serve for dinner. If he was running a restaurant he'd probably name it "Leftovers". There is really no team identity - which pre-dates Macc by decades, but still you would think if he had any idea of how to build a winner he would address this right off the bat.

So in looking at what he's done, it's a hodgepodge. He's cut a lot of the locker room cancer, eliminated most of the inflated contracts, and cleared up cap room, but none of that puts fans in the seats. And he inherited a team with lots of cap room and decent talent and what did he do with that? Is this really the guy we want to continue counting on the finally make the Jets winners? I don't think so.

I'm willing to see what he does with the off-season this year, but that's it. If he doesn't hit a home run and transform the offense into a SB-capable one (not saying they need to go to the SB next year, but they need to show the ability to get there soon), then I'm done with him, and maybe even the Jets.

17. ChrebetCrunch

When you have a hole at safety, and the best player available is a safety who is known as a vocal leader, it's a no brainer. You may not notice when you have a great safety, but you sure do notice when there is a hole in center field.

This is Mac's third draft. His first draft yielded a hall of fame caliber DE. The rest of that draft is a load of shit. His second draft yielded another 2nd round doozie, but his grade is incomplete until a few more years have past. His 3rd draft is by far his best, and has demonstrated much improvement. You don't seem to like the safety picks, but I do. You're entitled to your opinion.

You may be done with Mac, but you're not going anywhere. You'll be here suffering with the rest of us.

18. ColoradoContrails

What? After 55 years, I can quit any time I want! (Is there a rehab for Jetaholics?).

Peebag likes this.
  19. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

This.
    Last year when the team quit on Bowles, I did the same.

20. ColoradoContrails

Yes, most people would agree with your claim that Adams was a No-brainer, but that's because they're not looking at the overall picture, they're just looking at the single pick. Of course there was no way of knowing that Maye would be available with his 2nd pick, but there was reason to suspect he would be, or that another very good Safety - or perhaps instead pass rusher, and even more needed hole to be filled IMO - would be. What he almost certainly knew was that one of the top QBs or RBs - positions that could make a much bigger impact and around whom he could build upon - would NOT be available with his 2nd pick. So, know these two facts, I think he should've passed on the "no-brainer" and taken a gamble with a franchise-changing QB or RB with his first pick. If you look at what Mahomes, Watson, and McCafferey are doing, he would be looking like a genius right now.

boozer32 likes this.