Predict the 2017 Jets Record:

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Sep 3, 2017.

?

What will the 2017 Jets record be?

Poll closed Sep 10, 2017.
  1. (10-6) or Better

4.5%
  2. (9-7)

0.9%
  3. (8-8)

0.9%
  4. (7-9)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. (6-10)

7.2%
  6. (5-11)

6.3%
  7. (4-12)

26.1%
  8. (3-13)

23.4%
  9. (2-14) or Worse

30.6%
  1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

then i'll change my vote to 5-11 lol
    I sitll fail to see how we are worse. did anyone here completly forget about how bad we were last season?
    Since apparently i'm going for 5 wins give me a sweep of buffalo, split with miami, browns, and chargers as wins

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Before last season did you think the Jets would be horrible/awful, especially considering how good they appeared to be in 2015?

3. GasedAndConfused

Of course not. i expected a similar 8-10 wins. obviously it didn't go well. fitz went from a top10 QB to the worst in one off season (stat wise he was a top 10 QB in 2015) marshall was half assed effort and half unjured, decker missed pretty much the whole season, and aging vets underperformed. wilk came back and was terrible off the injury. it was a disaster of a season

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Precisely. While we have a bunch of young, supposedly "hungry" players this year, no one knows how well they'll play. We have no evidence at this point that Bowles has learned anything and improved in his weak areas (having the team prepared to play, holding players accountable, game planning, making in-game adjustments, managing the clock, etc.). Based on the way he handled the QBs in TC, perhaps the K competition as well, and that he coveted another team's LS over our own who has been mistake-free in his whole career, it appears that Bowles hasn't learned anything and is in over his head. We know that rookies make mistakes that cost their teams wins. They also make some plays that lead to wins. Supposedly, we have the worst roster in the NFL. We know that the OL talent is underwhelming. Perhaps they'll play better than expected as a unit, but individually, none are all that good except Carpenter, and several are below average. Our QBs are underwhelming at this point.

IMO the only real reason for optimism this season or hope going forward, is that Mac's draft picks from the last 2 drafts and FA additions will prove themselves worthy and develop this year, and all the top picks that we've invested in the D will bear fruit and the D will play at a high level. We have hope that Greene will have been able to coach up his OLBs and produce more pressure on opposing QBs, but until we see it on the field, we don't know that it will happen. We hope that Morton will prove to be a good OC and that the WCO will be a good fit for our personnel, but that remains to be seen.

Thus, I can't see being that optimistic about the number of wins we'll get this season.

5. GasedAndConfused

that is one move i don't understand. a long snapper is like a kicker. if they arne't fucking up, no reason to replace them.

as far as bowles, i agree, the jury is still out but not looking good for him. even his one area of expertise (running a defense) didn't look very good last year. I can understand not being optimistic, it's more of, how could this be worse then last year? as far as the worst roster IDK about that, funne enough we COULD finish 2nd in our divison. The bills roster isn't very good at all and the fins took a huge blow with tannehill. If any QB could play worse then our's it's cutler. The browns have a rookie QB, no WRs for him , no o-line outside of LT, and a poor run game. and their D isn't very good.

6. joe

joe Well-Known Member

buzzkill.. .. 2-17

Not to be picayune, but Jets-38, Raiders-0 in Oakland (the Sanchez "hot dog" game).
    [​IMG]

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

that was great. trolling the raiders by beating their ass and having a hot dog. Would've been better if he drank a Corona along with it

NY Jets68 and Peebag like this.
  8. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

The only games I give them a real shot at are both Bills games, Jacksonville and Cleveland and I'm not sure they're good enough to beat any of those teams. I went with 4 wins but only because Vegas odds are 4 1/2 and they're the professionals. My gut says 2-3 wins at most.

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If you expected fitz to repeat the 2015 season you did not know what fitz is. His whole career has been the roller coaster he displayed here. That's why many here were hoping they would not come to an agreement.

Red Menace likes this.
  10. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I said 4-12, and I stand by that. Predominately because the Jets ALWAYS surprise you. When you think they have a good roster (last year's was considered at the very least above average) they crap the bed and underperform. And when you write the Jets off and think they will suck they seem to find guys that play above their head. But there are other reasons to think they can outperform this year:

1) First off, the schedule looks relatively easy for them. Only 2 west coast trips and the rest on the east coast. At least 6 games will be played against teams not projected to make the playoffs including the Bills, Browns, Jags and Fins.

2) On a position by position basis, there is a case to be made for improvement:

Last year the D-Line had 17 sacks. That should go up.
    • Leonard Williams is primed for a breakout year. He had 7 sacks and 40 tackles last year. Can he improve on that? I think so.
    • Mo Wilks had a bad 2016, but he is still a decent player. Even reverting to the average his sack and tackle numbers will improve.
    • I think Kony will give you at least 5 sacks. 4 more that Sheldon had last year.
    Linebackers: Not having Harris hurts, but Davis should do OK and Lee and Jenkins will be another year in system. I think that Kevin Greene will get the best out of the OLB's and we will see better pass rush from them this year compared to last year.

Secondary: The Jet secondary was awful last year, especially towards the end. You would think the rookie safties will be decent so if Clairborne, Burris and Skrine can cover better than Revis did it will be a better unit than last year. I'm not really confident of that, but its very possible.

OL: Was a MASH unit early last season, but solidified as the year went on. The unit remains largely intact (++ Beachum, Harrison) so I think they will be no worse than they were last year and they have alot of depth. Mediocre depth, true, but alot of young guys with game experience.

Backs and Receivers:
    The loss of Enunwa hurt alot. He had over 800 yards receiving last year and that production (+ Marshall's 700 yards) was likely to go up and is difficult to replace. I think it was smart to sign Kearse and Kerley. They are not as good but could get you 500 yards each and you hope that Anderson will improve on his 500 yards last year. And if you get decent production out of your rookies (300 yards each from Stewart and Hansen) that will fill the loss of Marshall and Enunwa. Also you would expect more production from the TE's. I think ASJ wont show anything, but Tye is a nice add and Jordan Leggitt will come on as the season progresses. RB effectiveness will be dependent on the passing game, but you know Powell is solid and Forte quietly gathers yards. And I think the Jets have a viable 3rd option in McGuire where last year guys like Khiry Robinson and CJ Spiller showed nothing when called upon.

QB:
    The wildcard. Last year the QB's threw 16 TD's and 25 INT's and had a completion percentage of 56%. That is piss poor production. Second worse completion percentage in the league, the most INT's and 28th in TD's passed for. So bottom of the barrel. I think the only way the Jets can have worse numbers is if they play Hack most of the year. I think McCown and Petty can improve upon those stats last year and if they do the Jets will very easily win 4 games.

playtowinthegame likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

i know he's a mixed bag but he has had some great seasons for buffalo, houston, and us usually in contract years he plays great. 2016 was a contract prove it year as well. had he played well he would have earned a ton of money.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Good analysis. I can see your projections happening, but of course they may well not. What will be the difference is how well can the "D" hold up, quarter after quarter, game after game. Also, if they can somehow split their first 6 games, it might give them the belief that they CAN win, and spur them to continue striving longer than they might otherwise. OTH, if they are 1-5 or 2-4, they might well throw in the towel as the adversity continues. MOMENTUM swings both ways.

PulseJet likes this.
  13. Jets007

Jets007 Well-Known Member

People actually voted 10-6 or better? LOL

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Not a mixed bag, a bad qb that managed to grab a few paydays, always turned the ball over,never been to the playoffs and been bouncing around from team to team since day 1. There was nothing about him to suggest it would go anyway but the way it went with him.

Red Menace likes this.
  15. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Week 1: @ Bills - L
    Week 2: @ Raiders - L
    Week 3: vs Dolphins - L
    Week 4: vs Jaguars - Maybe a Win
    Week 5: @ Browns - Maybe a Win
    Week 6: vs. Patriots - L
    Week 7: @ Dolphins - L
    Week 8: vs. Falcons - L
    Week 9: vs. Bills - Maybe a Win
    Week 10: @ Buccaneers - Loss
    Week 11: BYE
    Week 12: vs. Panthers - L
    Week 13: vs. Chiefs - L
    Week 14: @ Broncos - L
    Week 15: @ Saints - L
    Week 16: vs. Chargers - L
    Week 17: @ Patriots - L

I think we can win anywhere from 1-3 games.

16. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Solid post. Jets can have a top 10 defense with a +5 or better turnover differential if, and it's a big IF, they get average to above-average production from their quarterback position while limiting the turnovers in the passing game. Hope the offense (and Petty) surprise us.

PulseJet likes this.
  17. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Jets ranked dead last on Yahoo Sports.

18. GasedAndConfused

breet favre always turned it over and is one of the greatest lol. yes fitz did throw a lot of picks but not counting his 1st 2 years we he played 5 games total he had 4 bad seasons, 3 good seasons and 2 average seasons. like i said he's a mixed bag. it was a 50/50 shot to either duplicate 2015 or play like he did in 2016. I don't think it's fair to say it was guaranteed he would play bad

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

But the bet was not worth $12 million. At that price, Macc should've said "Pass".

20. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

And I think that Morton will be a solid OC in his first year. Another consistent trend with the Jets, 1st year OC's do OK, at least for OC's that are the least bit respectable (Sparano doesnt count!). Chan was solid his first year, did poorly the second. Schotty had a few good years before the wheels fell off. I just dont see a first year OC that came from several very good systems not be able to improve the Jets showing from 2016. Particularly in completion percentage and turnovers.