Why can't Darron Lee cover anyone?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Aug 30, 2017.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Was surprised to see Engram run by Lee like he was a yellow cone. I thought Mac drafted Lee to cover TEs and RBs?

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  2. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

Mac is fucking terrible. That's the only logical answer. His pics are fucking mind boggling

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JetsVilma28 and boozer32 like this.
  3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Handbags have been a good accessory in completing women's outfit. There are a wide variety of handbags that come in different styles, designs, materials, colors and sizes. These accessories have great significance because of their versatility features. Both men and women carry bags, however, it is just well-known that women use them more than men. Furthermore, handbags are also use to create a fashion statement. Different designs and styles are born each year. Celebrities and popular TV icons are often the first to try trendy handbags to complete their looks. Different variety of handbags were basically designed for different purposes. And to make it widely available to everyone, such fashion accessories are now available in different variety of designs, styles and colors to incorporate with different wardrobes. This is the reason why almost all women have 3-5 different types of handbags in their closet

egelband, joe, Jets69 and 6 others like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Why do you keep making stupid threads and asking stupid questions?

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

6. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Because he is a troll?

7. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Whether this poster is a troll or not, I don't believe he is totally incorrect.

At least by my eye, he has struggled in the passing game, and has been swallowed in the running game.

Still plenty of time to improve, but I'm not exactly enthused by what I've seen.

8. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Thank You! I sure hope Lee turns the corner, but if he's not a great player then the 2016 draft looks like a complete disaster.

Also there seems to be a Pro McCagnan contingent on this board who freak out everytime I post something negative about their guy. These are the same guys comparing Bryce Petty to Brett Favre and put 100 percent of the blame on Bowles for not getting the most out of the studs their hero brings to the Jets.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  9. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Tiny legs on tiny linebacker.

10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

"Anymore"? Being fast doesn't automatically mean you can cover (see Demario Davis).

matt robinson 17 and Red Menace like this.
  11. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

There goes that "stupid" word again, 2 in the same sentence.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

At least Demario catches them from behind.

boozer32 and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Jury is still out on him but this was such a perplexing pick. He's very fast...that's about all he brings to the table. But to be honest nobody around him in that draft is lighting the NFL on fire either. Would've still taken Will Fuller over him

14. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I don't dislike this post, Lee hasn't shown too much. Still doesn't look dominant out there. Not smart or strong enough to be an inside backer and his coverage skills and edge rush skills are below average for an outside backer. Never liked this pick.

boozer32 likes this.
  15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Could [any] Jet LB cover TEs and RBs as of late?

Consider that first.

I am inclined to think that, coaching has more to do with LB deficiencies than the player lacking talent.

P.S. Jethro, stop making stupid threads. Makes you look like a tool that you are. *Or - maybe you made a mistake when you made a nickname here? As in, ya know, JethroTOOL.*

LarryAlRalph and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. There aren't many lbs in football who can cover

I haven't been as critical of Lee as others.Hes always around the ball,tackles pretty well & can play in space.That said This was a Bowles pick all day long.Guy was widely considered a tweener to which Bowles stubbornly proclaimed he could play 3-4 mike.Earlier this offseason Bowles admitted Lee was not a Mike..So what exactly is he Todd?

I think Lee could be a very good Will in a 4-3 under,a quality nickel backer & perhaps a good hybrid "niche" player against certain opponents..but a full time player in Todd Bowles scheme?Not so much

ajax, NCJetsfan, Red Menace and 2 others like this.
  17. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Because Lee is a PROTOTYPICAL 4-3 Linebacker. He is NOT a 3-4 player. It's like Mac decided to draft a less talented version of Jonathan Vilma. Like he never saw what Mangini and Tanny ended up doing with Vilma after the 2006 season?

Bottom line is you are 100% correct. Lee is garbage and Hack is less than garbage. The entire 2016 draft is as bad as any I've ever seen the Jets have? If it weren't for a less amount of picks I would put it right up there with Idzik's 2014 draft.

What grieves me the most is Mac had a deal on the table to trade up 10 spots and select Laremy Tunsil, the best OL in the 2016 draft. Obviously, Mac wanted CHRISTIAN HACKENBERG so much that he was unwilling to part with the Jets 2nd round pick? Mac would have had to give up the 20th overall, their 2nd rounder and the Jets 4th to move up 10 spots. Obviously, Mac believed at the time that the sum of Darron Lee, Hack, and Justin Burris was better value than getting Laremy Tunsil? I wonder if Mac regrets this now?

boozer32, CBG and Red Menace like this.
  18. Red Menace

So if the jets selected defensive players that are more suited for a 4-3 then the questions that need to be answered are...will TB switch to a 4-3? Or why hasn't he made the change to a 4-3?

My guess is stubbornness, he will live and die by his rigid and inflexible philosophy.

Many of us on this board have been critical of this hybrid defense for some time now, it does nothing well. Stick to one or the other and occasionally throw in a tweak just to give the opposition something to think about.

Having a mixture of players that are a good fit for one type of defense or another doesn't make it better, it makes it worse because of the players limitations.

#18 Red Menace, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  19. Red Menace

I agree with the majority of your post, but was there a deal on the table? I remember talk of Mac trying to move up but I don't remember specifics about the deal and his unwillingness to part with 2nd.

FJF likes this.
  20. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I remember on draft day Mac gushing about Lee,,,,,,ugh,,Im sick of guys with hype. You can either play or you can't ! If a guy has talent he can bet coached and shown technique , if he does not have talent --------put it this way the Jets have had many guys who were not as good as advertised . Would LEE be better in a different style defense ? We won't know until he is on a new team alla Vilma or until Bowles changes Philosophy .MY Personal opinion is I just don't think Lee is all that good,,,Vilma was used out of position I don't think thats the case with Lee