Looking Into First Pistol

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Greenday4537, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

So, the wife and I are looking into getting into shooting. Our first real date was a shooting range up in the Poconos where they had all different types of pistols and rifles with different combinations of accessories. We've actually gone back once because it was so fun. This past weekend, we went to a range not too far from where we live that had some rentals. Staff was awesome, prices were good. So helpful.

My wife wanted to get a Desert Eagle but I managed to convince her pretty fast that it was a bad idea for our first. Super expensive gun, super expensive ammo. That'd suck half the fun out of it for me and it's not really for self-defense.

This weekend we shot a Walther P22 and a Beretta 92 FS. I'll tell you what, the P22 was fun as hell. $15 for 100 rounds isn't bad. .22 rounds make it perfect for target shooting. Like no kick, very comfortable in my hand, the magazines were super easy to reload. I struggled to be accurate on the first shot of each magazine. The double action on the 9mm is much rougher than the .22. After the first shot, the single action isn't bad at all.

For my third time shooting, I did a solid job keeping my shots in the center. I'm leaning torwards a .22 just because of the price and how fun it was. It's so effortless to shoot that I could imagine firing tons of rounds per outing. Only downsides I'm seeing is from my research online, some people find the P22 to be a bitch to clean and put back together. Also, it's kinda picky about the ammo you use. Gotta be high velocity and not crappy.

I liked it a lot compared to what I've fired previously but I'm always open to suggestions and can see if the range has one for rental. Gotta try it before you buy it.

Royal Tee likes this.
  2. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

As far as 22's go, the Ruger SR22 is very simular to the Walther(almost a clone), but less picky on ammo.
    If you want something a little more accurate, better trigger and upgradeable grips and such, the Ruger MK series are excellent guns. Id suggest the MK 3 or MK4. The MK4 is s recent redesign, much easier to take down for cleaning. These are the guns that started Ruger in the gun industry.
    S&W also has a very good 22, the Victory. I haven't shot one, but it gets very good reviews.

The Browning Buckmark is also excellent.

The Browning, S&W and MK series will be a little bigger than the P22 and SR22, but IMO, much better guns.

If you want a larger gun in 9mm, I can give you a list to look for... and those to stay away from.

RuJFan likes this.
  3. Bellows1

Also, gun shops are the worst place to ask for advice about guns.

How much are you looking to spend? Any interest in revolvers?

4. Greenday4537

Not really interested in revolvers.

Really I'm just using their shop to use rentals. This way I can try them out first before blowing a few hundred bucks.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

5. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I have been looking at some revolvers lately, what do you think of the S&W 642 Airweight?

6. Bellows1

That depends on what you want it for. If it's a concealed carry/home defense gun, good choice, very nice guns. If you want something for the range/target shooting, it wouldn't be my first choice. The 642 is double action only, pretty long heavy trigger pull, that doesn't make for accurate shooting. The 38 special is a great plinking round for the range, very mild recoil, but there are some impressive defensive rounds available for it also.

7. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

It would be mainly for cc/home def. so if I ever did have to use it would be close quarters so accuracy shouldn't be too big an issue. Sticking with revolvers since figure if the wife ever has reason to pick it up ease of use/loading is important.

8. Bellows1

I didn't mean to imply the shops are crooked or are looking to rip you off, almost every shop I've been to, were very helpful. They can be too brand loyal though... and they are out to make a profit.

The Ruger MK3 MK4 this is available in may colors, barrel profiles...and prices.
    [​IMG]

Royal Tee likes this.
  9. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Do you work in the post office?

Red Menace likes this.
  10. Bellows1

Ruger SR22

[​IMG]

Royal Tee likes this.
  11. Bellows1

S&W Victory

[​IMG]

12. Bellows1

The S&W M&P22 is also very nice. Lighter than the Victory and Ruger MK series.

Picture posting is not working well for me today. Google them. :)

13. Greenday4537

LOL No. My stepdad does though. I'm squirreled away in a laboratory.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  14. Greenday4537

I think they were running a special for the SR22. Comes in like every color and four mags.

Bellows1 likes this.
  15. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Red Menace likes this.
  16. Greenday4537

Basically yes.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is still the military grade sidearm. It was when I was in the army. And yes, it kicks ass. Not too much kick, but hits like a truck. Accurate at 25 yards, provided you have solid shooting form.

[​IMG]

Red Menace likes this.
  18. Bellows1

Revolvers are simple machines, very reliable. Most semi-autos made today are also very reliable and simple to use. The advantage of the semi-auto is capacity and speed/ease of reloading.
    Today's modern semi's have the advantage of light weight, while still holding 12-15 rounds of ammo. A good 9mm will be in the 23-26 ounce range vs a revolver holding 5-6 rounds at the same or heavier. If you watch the news at all, bad guys have become more violent, often in multiples, often carting weapons themselves.

IMO, semi-autos are a better choice all around for personal or home defence. 9mm is the best caliber, it's cheap to shoot, low recoil and very accurate out to 50 yards if need be.

Semis can be left loaded with an empty chamber. If you have small children who might stumble across it, they won't be able to rack the slide... That is not an excuse for improper gun security, ya gotta keep your guns outta the hands of little tikes, but if they do happen to access it, they're less likely to do anything with it. It does allow you rapid deployment if the need arises. Of course you can also keep it completely empty, while still having rapid loading. Loading a revolver under stress can be challenging for those not practiced at it.

What ever any of you choose, spend the extra money to get training with it. Buy a good biometric handgun safe for home/vehicle use... be safe.

19. Bellows1

Thank you for your service Zach. Yes the Beretta 92 is a classic, excellent gun...heavy to carry.

20. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I used to carry Makarov 9mm as the sidearm. Never liked it, but got partial to the caliber so I have SZ 75B.

9mm is definitely the piece for home defense, but for target practice get 22 cal.