Start McDougle--nothing to lose

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by tomdeb, Aug 25, 2017.

1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I was very critical of Idzik when he passed on massive OG Gabe Jackson in the 2nd round of the 2014 draft to select Amaro. I couldn't believe our luck when Jackson fell to the jets our pick in the 3rd round. NFL.com had jackson ranked as the 30th best PLAYER in the whole draft and here he is available for the OL-poor jets in round 3! Idzik the idiot reaches for CB Dexter McDougle instead--NFL.com had McDoule ranked as the 245th best player in the whole draft. Oakland takes Jackson with the very next pick and he is now a stud on their OL.

Now 3 years later, McDougle is finally healthy, has dropped 15 pounds, had a great camp and played well in two preseason games, albeit against 2nd and 3rd stringers. I say start McDougle at CB this year--the jets are not going ANYWHERE anyway, why not see if he cuts it instead of overpaid Buster the penalty machine? McDougle will be a free agent after this year, and if he plays well this year perhaps the jets finally have a decent starter. Buster is not our future at CB (not sure McDougle is either) but why not give McDougle a shot on this piss-poor team? It would be just like the jets to lose McDougle after this year once he is finally healthy and watch him play well for another team starting next year.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I broke your balls for the Doogie criticism, more than once prolly. You're not the only one tho :). But he rose late in the draft process and the clueless media bashed him because he was under their radar.
    He was actually Dennis Thurman's guy because Thurman was familiar with him down in Maryland, and they liked him at his Pro Day.

There's no guarantee here that he makes it, but I think he might as a second Nickel/dime back. He has the quickness to do that on slot guys on the inside, and that could be his role in the future; as a Nickel back, and maybe even as Skrine's replacement. I think that may be his strength.

I've always rooted for this kid hard. The clips of him all showed good athleticism, and instincts. Hope he gets a nice pay day.

#2 Walt White, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Why would you start McDougle over Burris?

Jets are 5 deep at CB that aren't going anywhere (4 if you don't count Jeremy Clark). He needs to beat out Marcus Williams and Darryl Roberts. Totally do-able, but lets not get ahead of ourselves with starting talk.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Good idea. Forget the $6 million & $5 million we have invested in either Buster Skrine or Mo Claiborne for the year. Shouldn't have even signed Claiborne.

5. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Hope you're right, Walt, and I hope he gets that payday from the jets. If there was EVER a time when Bowles should be looking at guys like McDougle, who have potential but haven't played much, it is now. Further, my problem has never been with McDougle himself--not his fault Idzik and Bradway reached for him (in my opinion) in the high 3rd round. I just think with all the picks the jets had in 2014, they could have had McDougle at least 2 rounds later, maybe more. In addition, the jets ALMOST NEVER (save 2006) want to address OL in the draft and Jackson was a great value (30th overall prospect) in the 3rd round, as the Raiders found out.

6. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

If you would have even casually read my post, you would see that nowhere in it did I mention Claiborne or him being replaced by anyone. I advocated for McDougle over Buster since Buster is not our future or even our past with his numerous penalties and grand total of 2 picks in 2 years. Under your theory that "we have money invested in other guys so we HAVE to play them," then I guess we should be playing Revis at CB THIS year since we owe him (and in your words "have invested") $6M in him for THIS year. Naw, don't give a young hungry guy like McDougle a chance, let's keep playing Buster because he has a bigger contract (and has sucked for 2 years). You probably supported Bowles playing Fitzpatrick and Revis all last year even though they stunk because "we have invested in them."

Freddy Mondo and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

McDougle should make the team as he is the only CB other than Skrine with the skill set to play on the inside. All the other guys are outside guys.

8. xxedge72x

Having the talent to compete with Skrine inside is a far cry from starting. I'd say a bigger issue is Skrine playing outside.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

9. Walt White

That's why I think he's gonna make the team. They need one of the other guys other than Claiborne and Burris out of Williams and Roberts to play well on the outside, not Skrine and McDougal. But you never know, hopefully McDougle keeps getting better. I don't know if he'll ever be a 'physical' guy on the outside tho.

tomdeb likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Because he's playing better?

Based on what I've read, Burris was very good early in TC, but has tailed off considerably and hasn't looked very good in the preseason games. McDougle has come on strong the last couple of weeks of TC and has been playing well in preseason, and I think vs. the Titans he was the Jets' top-rated DB. He's also already ahead of Williams and Roberts on the depth chart and pushing Burris.

tomdeb likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

If he's playing better than Skrine, he's supposed to sit because Skrine is being paid more? Seriously? Skrine isn't the future and this is a rebuilding year. It's the perfect time for McDougal to start IF he makes the team and has earned it.

Also, Tom didn't say anything about starting McDougal over Claiborne. You jumped to that conclusion and overreacted. He specifically mentioned BUSTER SKRINE. Maybe you need to read more carefully before making snarky, sarcastic comments. The yolks on you.

tomdeb likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

Tom, I hear you. I really wanted the Jets to take Gabe Jackson and couldn't believe they passed on him.

Skrine is not very good, and you're right that he isn't the future. If McDougal makes the team and is playing anywhere near as well as Skrine, if nothing else, the Jets ought to give him a long look with the #1s in practice. Then if he does well, either work him into games slowly or give him a start or two and see how he does.

13. Walt White

We'll see tomorrow. So far in the preseason games Skrine played the slot wr in the 1st half, McDougle in the second half. Those are the two guys playing that role pretty much, I believe. Can anybody else play that role?
    I think it's other guys battling for spots on the outside after Claiborne and Burris. Roberts may have the edge on Williams too.

14. NCJetsfan

Skrine sucks. If McDougal is playing well (and he seems to be), there can't be as big a gap between the two as you state. Skrine is not the future here. This is probably his last year with the Jets. They can cut him following this season, have a $2.5 million dead money cap charge, but save $6 million on the cap. Skrine has shown some leadership in the DB room this year; otherwise, there's no good reason why the Jets shouldn't give McDougal a shot and see what he can do. After all, the purpose of this year is to see which players can help them going forward and develop them.

tomdeb likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

I hope that Bowles will give McDougal some time with the starters tomorrow night, and let him play most, if not all of the game next week and see how he does.

16. Walt White

I'd like to see him play more also. He's looked good. Let him get some more valuable experience.

17. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Hey I just think he should make the team. Going from a fringe roster player to starting is crazy talk.

18. Mcdougle has always played well in spurts.He's not perfect & really his biggest problem is staying healthy..I really wouldn't be opposed to him as a #2-3.

Burris I worry is a tad too slow for better WRs on the outside.And truthfully think he'd be s very good fit as that hybrid 3rd safety Bowles is always referring to.Not sure if this has been considered however

19. xxedge72x

I agree on your points about Skrine, and frankly, it isn't what I was responding to earlier.

20. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Lol

Royal Tee likes this.