Blake Bortles

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by JethroTull, Aug 23, 2017.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Sorry for the new thread, but I think there is going to be some speculation in the coming days. Reports out of Jacksonville seem to indicate that he will likely be cut if Chad Henne plays well in their third preseason game.

This is something to keep an eye on. I personally believe Bortles has much more upside than either Petty or Hackenberg, and would be open to bringing him into the mix.

Two years ago Blake Bortles threw 35 TD passes on a bad team. Perhaps getting away from Marrone and Coughlin (two huge blowhards) will be his elixir. Also bringing in Bortles means that there is a chance that we don't ever have to watch Hackenberg (the worst NFL QB since Ryan Lindley) ever play a down in a Jets uniform.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Regarding the first sentence of this thread, no you aren't. How many bad threads have you made? And now you're sorry for this one? Not buying it.
    Regarding the second sentence. If they are waiting for henne to play well before they release him, he has nothing to worry about.
    Now if they do release him, there is no chance he is coming in and starting straight away. But if they feel he can come get acquainted and play down the stretch wouldn't hate it, wouldn't expect much either

TonyFtLaud and stinkyB like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I just read what Adam Schein said on nfl.com about how things are in Jacksonville with Bortles. If what he said is anywhere near true, I don't want any part of Bortles. I never thought he was that good a prospect anyway. I sure don't want to bring him in and give him a shot over Hack or Petty. It would be our luck that he'd play just well enough to screw us out of a top 3 draft spot next year.

4. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Bortles was a top 3 pick. He went about 35 picks ahead of Carr.

I remember when Dave Caldwell turned down an interview with the Jets the year we hired Idzik. Man did we dodge a bullet there-his drafts have been horrendous. Three top 3 picks and you end up with Luke Joekel, Blake Bortles, and Dante Fowler Jr.

5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Think about this for a second...Bortles mechanics are WORSE then Hackenberg.

6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

hey whaddya talkin about?????...... Bortles Petty Hack McCown thrown together thats some great goulash with noodle thread!!

7. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

We sure don't need another also-ran QB. Bortles had his shot and got worse as time went on. How he threw 35 TD's two years ago is still a mystery. His delivery is poor and he has little pocket presence.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

That won't matter here as he will rarely have a pocket to throw from

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

if we can get him for cheap why the hell not? we're paying a crappier QB in Mccown $6mill. At least Bortles isn't 50 years old. He's not good but neither is Hack, Petty and Mccown

I feel the same way about Osweiler. I'd take on a redemption project over a guy like Mccown just trying to collect another paycheck for his retirement nest egg any day

FJF likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

11. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

His throwing motion is completely different now, he could barely throw on the run with accuracy, let alone in the pocket. Movement in the pocket is awful as well. That's one hell of a transformation.

Perhaps the same could happen with Hack too, but the Packers know what they are doing when it comes to QBs.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

it was like his feet and his upper body were completely separate with minds of their own!

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  14. 101GangGreen101

Seriously, makes you wonder if the 49ers went and took Rodgers what would happen? He might be out of the league ... Then what if Alex Smith went to the Packers?

15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Same here.

Blake Bortles: . at best, Zack Mettenberg with wheels.

[​IMG]

BrowningNagle likes this.
  16. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Speaking of the Jags, I read a Rotoworld blurb that says Allen Hurns has fallen out of favor and may be on the trade block. If he was cut or available for a player trade, I'd want the FO to do their homework. He's young, has some NFL experience/success, and easy to move on from with his salary after this season. Whoever plays QB should have somebody more established to throw to

17. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I am on board. I would sent a conditional 4th to them.

18. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

It sounds like he came off of a down-year in 2016 and does have a ~$8m salary in 2017 so it could be cheaper I suppose. I'd rather not give up picks though. Don't know exactly what they need, but I'd prefer a player-based trade if possible.

19. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Salary would be $3.23M, the other $3.33M is prorated bonus which would be on Jax cap. Of course they would need to make sure they got a good look this season because next season it jumps to $19M.

20. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

You just screwed Jethro out of his next thread." Brock Osweiler"