Training camp thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FJF, Jul 29, 2017.

1. joe

joe Well-Known Member

...unoriginal take on an old Polish joke . (opposing coach pulls team off the field protesting a call....7 minutes later, Polish team scores)

2. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

This joke predates the internet, I have also seen it used for rugby teams. I can laugh at my own team but when it is over used 20+ year old jokes, not so much.

FJF likes this.
  3. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

You know.. now that I thought about it, the first time I saw this joke it was applied to Lions during their 0-16 season in 2008.

Maybe Jets have hope for that elusive 1st overall pick after all :)

The Waterboy likes this.
  4. Don't fight it..embrace it! It's time to reverse the curse once & for all.

All the haters must really want one of those glourious 2018 top 5 picks we're in firm position for.They hate us cause they ain't us!

5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

#465 Zach, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/08/10_random_observations_from_10_days_of_jets_traini.html

11 random observations from 11 days of Jets training camp
    By Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
    The Jets are well into training camp. Here are a few random takeaways from how it's gone so far.

Random takeaways and observations
    As crazy as it sounds, we're actually through the first leg of training camp. Eleven practices are done, and Saturday's preseason opener against the Titans is on the horizon. For the first time, the Jets will hit someone other than a teammate.

The talk all of camp has been about the quarterbacks, and understandably so. Everyone want to know about Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty. Does either have what it takes to be a franchise quarterback?

But those two aren't the only on the field each day. So we've got a report focusing on everything else.

Here are 11 random takeaways and observations from the first 11 days of Jets camp.

A case of the dropsies
    The Jets receivers haven't done the quarterbacks any favors in camp. That goes back to before Quincy Enunwa's injury. Drops have plagued just about anyone attempting to catch a pass, especially as of late. In the Jets' last three practices, there have been 13 drops.

Jason Vander Laan is much improved
    Jason Vander Laan was an interesting story last year. A former quarterback from Ferris State, Vander Laan converted to tight end and spent training camp with the Jets. He didn't make the team, but did end up back on the practice squad.

Vander Laan never had a chance to make the team last year, but has played awfully well this summer. He could steal a spot, and he's a name to watch in the preseason.

Lawrence Thomas picked up where he left off
    Defensive end Lawrence Thomas was among the training camp stars last year, and, as an undrafted free agent, worked himself into the Week 1 defensive line rotation. His season came to an abrupt end when he tore his shoulder labrum in late September.

Now healthy, Thomas seems to have taken a step forward in Year 2. With a strong preseason, he could again secure a roster spot, and have a role on defense.

Ross Martin is leading the kicking competition
    Chandler Catanzaro may have been the favorite going it, but Ross Martin has been the better of the two kickers in training camp. Which shouldn't come as much of a surprise. Martin was tremendous last summer, too.

What cost Martin a roster spot then were his struggles in the preseason. If he can pass that test this year, there's a good chance he makes the roster over Catanzaro.

Jonotthan Harrison is really big
    Wesley Johnson is the favorite to be the Jets' starting center. In all likelihood, he will be. But right now, according to Todd Bowles, it's an open competition between he and Jonotthan Harrison.

It's tough to grade offensive linemen in training camp. As reporters, we only see the play in real time, and it's difficult to tell how an offensive lineman is doing without the help of instant replay. Observations are few and far between, unless someone is regularly beat.

With that said, here's a takeaway on Harrison: The guy is massive. He's listed as 6-4 and 300 pounds, but he's extremely well-built. When he walks on the field, you take note.

Dink-and-dunk
    I understand the West Coast offense is predicated on underneath passing schemes: Get the ball to your receivers in space, and let them do damage with yards after the catch.

But holy cow do the Jets dump it off a ton. Near every play is a drag, curl, short-out, or short-in. Very, very rarely do the quarterbacks stretch the field.

Maybe this has to do with the inexperience at receiver? Either way, it's a bit much. You have to at least keep the defense honest with the threat of going deep. So far, the Jets haven't done that.

Jeremy Clark isn't close to returning
    The Jets used two late-round picks on cornerbacks: Derrick Jones (Ole Miss) and Jeremy Clark (Michigan). Jones is working with the third-team defense, and having a solid camp. Clark is still on the physically unable to perform list with a knee injury suffered in college.

And it doesn't look like he's returning anytime soon. Here's what Bowles said when I asked when the Jets can expect Clark back:

"To me, if you’re not in pads and a helmet you’re not coming back anytime soon," Bowles said. "So until they tell me otherwise we’ll continue to keep him where he is."

Romar Morris is a tough little guy
    Give Romar Morris credit: The reserve running back knows how to take a beating.

I'm not sure I've seen someone take as many shots in training camp as Morris his two years with the Jets. It seems like anytime there's a collision, No. 30 is involved -- for better or worse. On running plays, he's always going up against guys bigger than him. In pass protection, he has no issue throwing his body into blitzing linebackers.

He plays much larger than his 5-10, 190-pound frame. I don't think Morris will make the team -- numbers game -- barring injury, but with a strong preseason, he can make his way onto someone's roster.

Demario Davis is back with Jets ... and awfully physical
    The punisher on quite a few of those Romar Morris hits? Demario Davis. The linebacker is back with the Jets, and armed with a renewed sense of determination. He's much more physical than I remember. He seems motivated. That's a good thing for the Jets.

Don't sleep on Darryl Roberts

Back in organized team activities, we talked to defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers. He said his big regret from 2016 was he didn't play cornerbacks Juston Burris and Darryl Roberts more.

Well, Burris is playing an awful lot now. He's one of the three starters -- Morris Claiborne and Buster Skrine the others -- in the nickel package. Roberts, though, is with the second team. But don't sleep on him. He could very well take over one of those cornerback spots ... even from Burris.

Burris had a nice, strong start to camp, but has come back down to earth. He has given up a couple long touchdowns after biting on double moves in recent days. If that continues, the Jets won't hesitate to put Roberts in. He's a talented player.

These coaches are loud
    One of the biggest takeaways from Jets camp? These coaches are loud.

Between Dennard Wilson (secondary), Stump Mitchell (running backs), Brant Boyer (special teams) and John Morton (offensive coordinator), the Jets have an awfully vocal staff. That certainly wasn't the case last year.

Bowles actually had a tremendous quote when describing Morton's yelling habits earlier in camp:

"He’s going to be a great old man," the coach joked, "because when he gets old and starts yelling at kids, his voice is going to scare a lot of people."

7. NCJetsfan

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/20...nues_to_shine_at_jets.html#incart_river_index

Austin Seferian-Jenkins continues to impress at Jets Camp: Could he be No. 1 option for offense?

By Connor Hughes

chughes@njadvancemedia.com,

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

FLORHAM PARK -- This was the final play of the Jets' eighth training camp practice, an untimed down in a last-second situational drill just outside the goal line. The offense would either score, or the defense would win the day.

Quarterback Josh McCown took the shotgun snap, and floated a ball high for Austin Seferian-Jenkins near the back of the end zone. The big-bodied tight end high-pointed the ball with Demario Davis draped all over him, and held on despite a few last-second desperation swipes from the linebacker.

The referees signaled touchdown, and Seferian-Jenkins spiked the ball with such ferocity Rob Gronkowski would be proud.

"I like 1-on-1 plays," Seferian-Jenkins told NJ Advance Media. "I like myself against anybody 1-on-1."

You'd be hard-pressed to find a player more impressive than Seferian-Jenkins these first three weeks of camp. Armed with a renewed sense of determination, and a suddenly-chiseled 6-6, 265-pound frame, the fourth-year pro has dominated most who attempt to cover him.

On Monday, it was Davis. On Tuesday, Seferian-Jenkins beat two defenders for a red-zone touchdown, and made another long catch up the seam while covered by cornerback Morris Claiborne. He looks very much like a legitimate offensive weapon.

And boy could the Jets use one of those.

As part of general manager Mike Maccagnan's offseason roster purge, the Jets cut receivers Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker. This week, they lost top wideout Quincy Enunwa for the season with a neck injury. Charone Peake and Robby Anderson, two players who have struggled mightily throughout camp, are suddenly atop the depth chart. A less-than ideal situation.

If Seferian-Jenkins can continue his strong play into the regular season -- although he's suspended the first two games -- he could be the team's No. 1 option in the passing game. At least right now, though, that's not on his mind.

"I'm not worried about anything like that, or thinking anything like that," Seferian-Jenkins said. "We'll see who's the No. 1 guy. I have no problem being No. 20 as long as we win games ... I'm going to do my part. When I have my opportunities, I'm going to cash in on them."

To this point in his career, Seferian-Jenkins has been a bit of a disappointment. A second-round pick by the Bucs in 2014, he has just 55 career receptions in 25 career games. He's known more for his off-field troubles -- two DUIs and a damning video leak by TMZ-- than on-field success.

ASJ vs. Adams is camp's top battle

This offseason, Seferian-Jenkins knew he needed a change. So he sought help to get his personal life in order. Once he did, the rest started to take care of itself. He cut alcohol and fast food out of his diet completely, lost 33 pounds, and returned to One Jets Drive for organized team activities, seemingly, a new man. His head coach took notice.

"He lost a lot of weight, he re-shaped his body, dedicated (himself)," Bowles in early August. "Obviously all the things you heard, he made a dedication to himself, so that's a credit to him. He's come in lighter, quicker, leaner and he's moving a lot better."

For now, though, the only people to see this "new Austin," as Seferian-Jenkins calls himself, are those at the Atlantic Health Training Facility, a few reporters, and several fans who made random trips to practice. Most throughout the NFL still believe he's the disappointing second-round pick who didn't make it in Tampa Bay.

When the Jets open the preseason against the Titans this Saturday, Seferian-Jenkins will have a chance to show the world that's not the case anymore. Are the nerves starting to set in? Pressure to prove naysayers wrong?

Not exactly.

"I'm super chill," Seferian-Jenkins said. "I don't get nervous or any of that sh--. I'm just ready to play, man."

NYJalltheway likes this.
  8. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

No Mauldin tonight...in the tub

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i was told that he was a really good 3rd round pick

10. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yes, I saw that. I've been told that also.

FJF likes this.
  11. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

a fair question. maybe both.

K'OB likes this.
  12. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

the bills are also in tank mode now, after friday's trades.
    and, unless the jets have pick #1, bills have more draft picks (6 in rounds 1-3 , 2 in each)to trade up ahead of the jets. the pegulas can match woody $$$ for $$$ in a player battle. our advantage is the big apple stage against a minor league city with a team bought cheaply by ralph wilson, and a nhl team that survives because canada is right across the river, and a vast area of southern ontario can't get torornto maple leaf tickets.
    jets could end up with #2 pick, only to have buffalo trade up in front of them to take their target instead.
    historical precedent: none other than brett favre. we then ended up with browning nagle.
    how'd that work out? see what i mean?

#472 mr nyjet, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I see what you mean, I just don't know what it has to do with my response to an old joke.
    But sure... the possibility and your wisdom are duly noted :)

FJF likes this.
  14. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

The Bills had the draft capital to trade up before the trades.
    The Browns also have the draft capital to trade up ahead of us.
    As far as the $$$ , your obviously not aware of the salary cap. Woody will have close to 3 x more $$$ at his disposal if the team was to entertain a player battle.
    I wouldn't say the Bills are in tank mode. Watching has not worked out in Buffalo, always injured and the Bills had no intention of resigning him. They just declined his option year. In return they received a decent possession Reciever and a third round pick.
    I don't get the Darby trade at all. Unless it's because of his injuries last season.
    The Bills are in transition , again. But they have plenty of talent and vets. Just another staff trying to form the team to their likings. With 6 premium picks, and as of now 10 picks total they are in good position to accomplish their goal.
    The signing of Bouldin actually will give them the chance to add a 3rd round compensatory pick and they could potentially add a 4th round compensatory pick .

15. NCJetsfan

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/08/jets_brush_off_training_camp_fight_between_lorenzo.html

Jets brush off training camp fight between Lorenzo Mauldin, Kelvin Beachum

By Connor Hughes

chughes@njadvancemedia.com,

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

FLORHAM PARK -- The Jets' 12th training camp practice had a bit of a mixed martial arts feel.

Midway through the workout, a fight broke out between outside linebacker Lorenzo Mauldin and left tackle Kelvin Beachum. Mauldin was seen standing over Beachum -- who was laying on his stomach. Mauldin threw several punches to the back of Beachum's helmet-covered head before teammates intervened.

"There's one in every camp," coach Todd Bowles said. "This just happened to be the one. So, officially, training camp started today."

After the incident, Bowles made the entire team run a series of gassers, and called a mid-practice meeting. There's a difference, the coach said, between pushing and shoving, and a "melee." When one turns into the other, enough is enough.

"They needed to know why they were running," Bowles said. "They needed to take onus on themselves. If they've got enough energy to scuffle, then they've got enough energy to run. If they've got enough energy to scuffle and run, then they should have enough energy to practice."

Beachum and Mauldin spoke to the media after practice, but neither detailed why the fight started. Mauldin only said the two got "frustrated," while Beachum chucked it up to it being "training camp."

More alarming than the fight itself was the fact the Jets again needed to be urged midway through practice to pick things up. On Aug. 4, defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson called the team together for a mid-workout meeting. Four days later, defensive tackle Steve McLendon did the same thing.

Beachum insists the Jets are working on bringing a high-level of intensity throughout practice.

"Coming off an off day, guys just have to come in more focused," he said. "Understand what's at hand, understanding the urgency right now. We've got a game in a couple days, regular season coming about. We know what's being said.

"We need to take care of business and come out a lot faster than we did today."

Kudos to Bowles for immediately stepping in and delivering a message to the team.

I also like that the team (or at least part of it) seems to have a sense of urgency.

16. NCJetsfan

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/08/christian_hackenberg_jets_qbs_sacked_12_times_in_p.html

Christian Hackenberg, Jets QBs sacked 12 times in practice | QB report (8/14/17)

By Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

It wasn't the best day for the Jets quarterbacks... but that's entirely their fault. The offensive line allowed 12 sacks.

How'd the QBs look on Monday?
    There's never a shortage of criticisms surrounding the Jets quarterbacks in training camp. Maybe one will stand out on some random day, but even then, the other two provide plenty of negatives to fill a notebook.

With that said, it's hard to get on Josh McCown, Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Pettyfor their play in Monday's practice: The offensive line did them absolutely no favors.

By my unofficial count, the Jets allowed 12 sacks. Seriously. A dozen. Nearly half the defenders were completely unblocked. The line hasn't been good throughout camp, but this was easily their worst showing.

"It's tough to hold on to the ball when they’re not blocking the guys in front and guys are running scot-free," coach Todd Bowles said. "We've got to pick up some blocks to help the guy(s) out."

Aside from the abundance of pressure, how'd the quarterbacks look? Here's the report.

THE ROTATION
    It was the same as it has been all camp — McCown, followed by Hackenberg, then Petty — but Hackenberg did receive an abundance of first-team reps. Eight, by my count. Through the first quarter of practice, Hackenberg took all but two reps with the first-team line.

This could be for one of two reasons: Hackenberg is closing the gap on McCown, or the Jets actually want to get him behind a front that can block. From what I've seen, I'd say it's likely the latter.

REP COUNTER (practice):
    • Josh McCown: 28
    • Christian Hackenberg: 31
    • Bryce Petty: 11
    REP COUNTER (camp)
    • McCown: 259
    • Hackenberg: 235
    • Bryce Petty: 166

THE STATS
    It wasn't pretty, but again, none of the three quarterbacks had a chance. The lone touchdowns came in the red zone when Bryce Petty found receivers Chris Harper and Myles White.

TEAM DRILL STATS
    Josh McCown
    • 8 of 16 | 5 sacks
    Christian Hackenberg
    • 7 of 16 | 7 sacks
    Bryce Petty
    • 5 of 8 | 2 TDs | 2 INTs

CUMULATIVE CAMP STATS
    Josh McCown
    • 103 of 159 (64%) | 6 TDs | 3 INTs
    Christian Hackenberg
    • 69 of 140 (49%) | 5 TDs | 4 INTs
    Bryce Petty
    • 60 of 95 (63%) | 5 TDs | 4 INTs

Josh McCown: THE GOOD
    He looked really comfortable to start practice. In the first set of team drills, he connected on all three of his passes, and took just one sack. McCown clearly has this offense down. He's mostly hurt by a lack-of weapons. All quarterbacks are dealing with that, though.

Josh McCown: THE BAD
    The Jets pumped in crowd noise and threw in a play clock midway through practice. I believe this was the first time they did both this summer. McCown struggled with it.

On the first set, he failed to get the team lined up twice, and took delay of game penalties as a result. He then had a very heated interaction with offensive coordinator John Morton.

You'd expect play clock miscues from Hackenberg and Petty. They're the young guys. But McCown? At 38, he can't make silly rookie mistakes.

Christian Hackenberg: THE GOOD
    Hackenberg made a beautiful pass on the run to Jalin Marshall. He rolled out to this right, then rocketed one between three defenders for the first down. It was just another example of the quarterback's cannon arm. He has talent few do. Only a handful of guys can make that pass in the NFL... and Hackenberg made it look easy.

Christian Hackenberg: THE BAD
    Some of the sacks weren't on him... but a decent amount were. Hackenberg is struggling a bit with line adjustments. On the second play of the first set of team drills, nose tackle Steve McLendon bulldozed center Jonotthan Harrison into Hackenberg's lap. The next play, Bryce Petty was in at quarterback. You have to assume this was a mistake on his part.

Hackenberg also had a difficult stretch in his set of red zone drills. In six plays, he threw three incompletions, took a sack, and completed just one pass. The Jets ran on one play, also. The offense didn't score. Not good.

Bryce Petty: THE GOOD
    He was the only quarterback to throw a touchdown, and he tossed two. Both were nice passes to Chris Harper and Myles White.

I keep writing this, but Petty has that Brett Favre-like playing style. He can make every throw, but then he tosses some up like, well, we'll get to that in the negative section.

Bryce Petty: THE BAD
    His two interceptions were just horrific. The first was a wounded duck under thrown into triple coverage. Derrick Jones easily picked it off. On the second, Petty threw a pass telegraphed for Jones. The rookie couldn't hold on, but deflected it high in the air. Linebacker Connor Harris then camped underneath and caught it.

THE HIGHLIGHTS AND LOWLIGHTS
    Here are additional plays that stood out — for good or bad reasons — not mentioned previously in this report.
    • Bryce Petty found receiver Jalin Marshall for a long touchdown in receiver-cornerback drills. Marshall beat cornerback Derrick Rivers with an out-and-up move.
    • Christian Hackenberg connected on back-to-back long touchdowns in receiver-cornerback drills. The first came on a deep pass to receiver Robby Anderson, who beat cornerback Juston Burris. The second went to receiver ArDarius Stewart, who beat cornerback Derrick Rivers.
    • Josh McCown had a nice back-shoulder pass to recevier Marquess Wilson for a first down in team work. He beat cornerback Juston Burris.
    • I counted three drops by the receivers today — Robby Anderson, ArDarius Stewart, Jalin Marshll.

WINNER OF THE DAY

Tough to pick one, but we'll go with Josh McCown. He was the least-bad (I've written this a lot) of the three.

TRAINING CAMP QB SCORECARD
    McCown:
    8 practices "won"

Hackenberg: 2

Petty: 2

Giving this practice to McCown is BS. He's a veteran and couldn't handle the play clock. He got in a confrontation with Morton. He completed only 50% of his passes, threw no TDs and took 5 sacks. Petty threw two ugly interceptions, but he was the only QB to throw a TD (and he threw two), he took no sacks and completed 62.5% of his passes.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

By now, they should stop giving McClown any more reps. Especially 'youth movement' is the idea this year.

18. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

But we have to compete. Gotta make sure we go 5-11, and not 3-13.

Cman68 likes this.
  19. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

When I look at all the reps McCown has got so far, I can't help but think how much more productive it would have been to give them to Hackenberg. Is there a limit to the number of reps an individual player can take?

They could have halved McCown's reps and given an extra 130 to Hack. That surely would've helped the kid develop.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Giving all the practice reps to Petty/Hack would have been much more productive.

NCJetsfan and Cman68 like this.