Mets Regular Season thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Mets fans in SD loudly chanting Jose Jose Jose after the game as Reyes takes second base as a memento

Collins pulled deGrom, who was pitching another good game, at 100 pitches, so Addison Reed could blow the game.

Homer, groundout, single, single, three run walkoff homer by Blash

except the ball was apparently foul by inches, just missing the foul pole. Blash struck out on the next pitch.

Reed gave up more hard contact to Matt Szcur, the third straight SD pinch hitter, but luckily it went right to Bruce

2. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

So long Dookas. I was never a big fan, but the Rays got themselves a good Big League 1st baseman. Hope he does well. Godspeed son.
    We'll be seeing Rosario soon...maybe Smith too now

Rays get lefty slugger Lucas Duda in trade with Mets

The Tampa Bay Rays have completed a trade with the New York Mets to acquire first baseman Lucas Duda.

The Rays are taking on all of Duda's salary, about $2.5 million, according to ESPN's Buster Olney.

The Rays entered Thursday 2½ games behind the first-place Red Sox in the AL East. They're one game behind the Kansas City Royals for the second wild card.

"I'm excited to join the Rays. They're in the hunt," Duda said. "Kind of mixed emotions. There are guys here I've grown close to, and the Mets are a first-class organization. I was very proud to be a New York Met, and I'm gonna be very proud to be on the Tampa Bay Rays."

Duda, 31, is hitting .246 with 17 home runs and 37 RBIs for the Mets, an organization with whom he has spent his entire career.

Drew Smith, a right-hander, is going from the Rays to the Mets as part of the deal, according to multiple reports.

Smith, 23, had most recently been pitching for Double-A Montgomery. In appearances for four minor league teams this year, he was a combined 1-2 with a 1.60 ERA and a 0.91 WHIP, with 40 strikeouts in 45 innings.

Red Menace likes this.
  3. Walt White

4. Walt White

Conforto ballin' like it's nineteen sixty nine. Dude's a playa. The outfield play is outstanding. He's obviously a driven guy.

Can't wait to see Rosario and Smith...both tearing it up in Vegas
    Love the Ramos trade, two days till the trade deadline, but there will be transactions through the waiver wire as Sandy set's up next year

#7884 Walt White, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  5. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Couldn't get anything for Cabrera, Walker or Bruce? I mean Bruce I would like to keep for next year so maybe its good he stays (even tho we could have re-signed him anyway even with a trade) but I just don't see the point of holding on to these guys. If you really want to keep them (Bruce) just do what the Yankees did with Chapman last year.

6. Walt White

7. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Mets sent Bruce to Cleveland for a mediocre prospect.

I'd rather have the draft pick after he left in FA.

rohirrim665 likes this.
  8. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

It's easy for us to dismiss the $4.3 million the Mets saved by trading him since it's not our money, but that's a chunk of money that could be used in other ways.

I obviously have no idea whether this guy is any good, but his current statistics are definitely misleading - in the first half of the season he had a 1.67 ERA and made the league All-Star team. I think he has a much higher ceiling than "30th round draft pick" would suggest. It appears he can even hit a little - he had a .294/.442/.441 slash line in a collegiate summer league as a third baseman. It's that background as a position player that makes him unusual, since he is a project. His problems in the second half of this season could easily be simple mechanics. We shall see.

9. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

usually you'd get more for a guy like Bruce

yes, he is due to be a free agent, but that does mean a compensatory pick with a qualifying offer

I'm confused as to how the Mets couldn't get something better.

Rumors were the Yankees offered a better prospect but the Mets wouldn't do it.

rohirrim665 likes this.
  10. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

Let's call a spade a spade. The Jay Bruce trade was a salary dump.

rohirrim665 likes this.
  11. statjeff22

There's no way the Mets were going to give the Yankees a player that could conceivably be a key reason they make the postseason or even get to the World Series without getting a quality major leaguer (or close to major leaguer) in return. It would be a PR disaster.

12. Walt White

* Coupon restrictions apply

13. Walt White

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

They supposedly offered two solid prospects but they wanted the Mets to split the remaining $4.3 million with them. Fred wasn't having it and took a mediocre prospect instead of forking over $2 million.

Not sure what the Yankees would do with Bruce though. There's already a logjam in the outfield especially considering they refuse to completely abandon Jacoby Ellsbury. Clint Frazier goes on the DL, Aaron Hicks comes back and we still have four outfielders.

15. statjeff22

Until we know what these supposed solid prospects from the Yankees were there is absolutely no reason to believe any of it. It is obvious that it was the Yankees who leaked this story, and they have no reason to tell the truth about it.

As I said earlier, it would be a PR disaster for the Mets to trade to the Yankees a player who could get them to the World Series. Funny how no one was trashing the Yankees the last couple of years for refusing to deal with the Mets (as has also been alleged) when the Mets were the team with World Series aspirations. This is exactly like dealing with a division rival, and you don't do that unless you're very confident that it won't bite you in the ass.

16. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

A)Ellsbury is done and I don't think Girardi really wants to start him anymore.
    B)The Yankees have no first basemen (without Bird and Holliday) and Bruce can play first.
    C)There's always the DH spot.

Walt White likes this.
  17. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

They also tried to trade for Duda, but the Mets sent him to the Rays instead.

18. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Neil Walker went to Milwaukee for a player to be named later.

The Mets had to pay part of Walker's salary too. Wonder what prospect they'll get.

These moves do not look good.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

A) I hope they just buy out Ellsbury. I believe he has three years and sixty million or so left on his deal. I can't imagine he's a $20 million bench player for the next three years.

B)Headley has upped his batting average and hit much better since being moved to first. Garrett Cooper has been on an absolute year lately too.

C) Yes this one makes sense.

I didn't really want Bruce. Then again the offense had been struggling and he could've given a nice boost for us as a DH. DH's do sometimes worry me. Amazingly enough players sometimes can't hit without being in the swing of the game by being in the field. I remember having that trouble when I played and we had an EH (extra hitter). He's never played in the AL before.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

They are really just tossing these guys away to save half the salary. It's unbelieveable how cheap the Wilpon's can be. Granted they have no need for him really. But I wonder how heavily they were shopped. I'd imagine they tried very hard to get rid of them at the deadline right?

I find it hard to believe they couldn't have gotten more for Bruce though.