preseaon game 1

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FJF, Aug 12, 2017.

1. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

I saw him on the sideline holding a clipboard in the 4th.

2. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Sore shoulder. They held him out.

3. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I thought Hack looked pretty good. He was a lot more decisive than last season and even though most passes were short, showing accuracy in the short passing game is a massive improvement for last year. He couldn't put together a scoring drive because penalties and drops kept putting him behind in the down and distance, but that's expected from the backups in preseason week 1. There are definitely some positives to be encouraged about with him, I hope they open up the playbook for him next week (although by reading practice reports, it seems like the entire offense is quick passes which will be annoying to watch).

4. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I think the game plan was very vanilla . I think Hack played well but it was all dink and dunk but he looked as if he made the correct reads. A couple of drops also or Hacks # s would have been slightly better. Defense looked good but you can also say that the Titans were vanilla on offense as well and did not pick up the blitz well,,,,just my 2 cents. These games are all meaningless I don't care about wins or losses but I want to see the young guys improve and no injuries! BTW Our Kicking game blows,,,,,,,,and Bowels should have let Hack run the 2 minute offense before halftime,,,,,ps burning 2 timeouts before I even watched 5 commercials was pretty bad. As I said I don't get too high or low during preseason but I will say this-----> if anyone gets too excited about this game or got false hope by how they looked tonight I don't want to sound like CHAMP but I believe you will be disappointed as this team will not compete very well when the games matter especially with this coach,,,,,as I said just my 2 cents

tbruner12, sec314 and egelband like this.
  5. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

The gameplan vs the Eagles last preseason was also vanilla/dink and dunk and Hack went 11-31. This is a huge step in the right direction.

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Hackenberg did very well tonight. He played a long time too. I'd like to see him with the 1's more in the next game. McCown played pretty well for his 1 drive. Can't ask for more. Petty continued to not be able to read defenses or feel the pocket collapsing. That was disappointing. I still want to see more from him though.

As for the defense: Best they played looked in awhile.

7. thankyourevis

thankyourevis Active Member

He had 18 completions for 127 yds and a turnover. He didnt shit the bed. He also did not look good. Josh mccown looked good. Is he the future of this team?. Its preseason. Detriot went 4-0 when they went 0-16. We need to have higher standards. He looked not fucking awful. Thats it.

tbruner12, PulseJet and HomeoftheJets like this.
  8. thankyourevis

thankyourevis Active Member

7 yds per completion.... im not sure you understand what dink and dunk means.... even the patriots agree that this is dink and dunk. This is a mediocre step in no direction.

#228 thankyourevis, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  9. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

I actually think Hackenberg did look good. He had a couple of drops that would have kept drives alive, a bunch of holding calls that killed drives, and terrible playcalling. I thought his statline actually underachieved. He dropped some nice dimes for 3rd down conversions and looked very comfortable in the pocket.

He's actually given us progress in a QB which is something this team hasn't seen when starting out a QB. It's always been, throw the guy in and watch him be a trainwreck. Baby steps with Hackenberg and I like where it's going. Next week they'll open it up.

hwismer, NCJetsfan, Skicats and 2 others like this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Under ordinary circumstances I would say Hack was meh. But considering how bad he looked a year ago, this was an encouraging performance. He isn't ready to start but at least he's capable of improvement. Fingers crossed...

papapump, PulseJet and Cman68 like this.
  11. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

The D looked like it could be pretty good, but the offense had a LONG way to go

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

12. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

I've already assumed McCown is starting the season as that is generally how these veteran-young competitions go to start seasons. It's a shame because there's no future in McCown and I hope he doesn't get us to 4-7 before we switch over to Hack. Hope he either sucks or looks like Namath right off the bat.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  13. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I want to see more Robby Anderson. I know he was working with Chad Johnson in the off season. Maybe it will pay off. The defense looked pretty decent. It was cool seeing Decker and Bowles hug at the end. Bowles is wishing we never cut him now for sure.

Greg Buttle needs to retire. I almost muted the game at one point. He just kept getting things wrong, mixing up the teams, player names, etc. He actually said the Titans were favored to win the division again this year and make the playoffs. I was like, huh? I missed when that happened. Did he forget the Colts and Texans were there and that the Texans won the division last year?

#233 Sam Hammer, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Red Menace and sec314 like this.
  14. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Bowels is an idot. Can't wait till he's shown the door.

15. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

How bout saying a half dozen times that would have been a penalty in the regular season when there was no infraction. Since when do refs call a game different and let things go? Never. He's a dope and does not make sense. And he got fat

Sam Hammer likes this.
  16. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I was pretty happy to see Hack looking comfortable in the pocket.. like a few have said, he had a few drops that would have sustained drives and some penalties that didn't help along the line , but overall I think he did ok.
    I want to see a lot more playing time for this kid over the next 3 games.

17. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Not trying to be a homer but Hack looked like a completely different QB out there. A year goes by, his mechanics are much cleaner, went through progressions, played smart, had good pocket awareness. Would have liked him to take a few more chances down the field, but Bowles said that the Titans were not trying to get beat over the top. I also think that Morton and Bowles want him to get his feet wet, make a few completions, and going forward there will be more down the field pressing.

The defense was playing fast, creating a good amount of pressure, very encouraged by that. D line was running wind sprints all game when they weren't in.

Josh Martin is a beast, strip sack and was all over the place last night.

Jets gotta clean up the mistakes, drops, offensive holding penalties. Also, I am concerned with Lachlan Edwards' inconsistency and our full backs looked bleh yesterday.

If a Punter shakes free through roster cuts, I would jump all over that, and I would also look to add a full back who doesn't drop the ball.

18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I think Robbie is going to be huge for us this year.

Something else that I loved about the offense, they kept the QB under center, I believe that helps the QB so much in terms of play action pass.

Our TE's are going to be lethal this year, and I believe that Jonathan Harrison is going to displace Wesley Johnson as our center, if not this year then next. He is a big center and he looked comfortable in that role, with some more experience and coaching he looks like he can be a long term solution.

NCJetsfan and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

It's early, but I saw a team with chemistry and a STRONG bond being developed.

Coach has done a good job so far, establishing the chemistry after a bad year. If Bowles continues to improve other facets of his coaching, he's staying around.

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

And how about Julian Stanford? Him and Martin are going to be decent depth players for this team.

boozer32 and Red Menace like this.