2018 QB's

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, May 1, 2017.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Geno is one tough SOB, I have to give him credit. It's truly a shame he got punched in the jaw and the torn ACL. Too bad his decision making on and off the field was completely suspect. Remember when he came in during the Raiders game and tried taking on that defender instead of going out of bounds?

Jonathan_Vilma and Br4d like this.
  2. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I think it was his mental insecurity about the position. He was so afraind to make mistakes they became unavoidable. A therapist would have a field day with Geno. Physically, he took some shots and he knew they were coming. I still think abut the one on the sidelline in, where was it, Oakland? All he had to do was step out

JethroTull and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree his problem was mental, but not insecurity. He had a way bigger opinion of himself than his abilities warranted. He never put the effort into becoming the player he might've been because he didn't look at his flaws and try to fix them. His whole attitude was "Me first" "I'm great", and he put himself before the team by the choices he made. Maybe he can learn from this and live up to his potential, but at his age and stage of career, teams don't pay too much for "potential", especially when it's never been reached.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Geno got some bets going as I speak with OBJ and Eli about their trip to Nathans in Coney Island...something about who can eat the most hot dogs

5. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

false bravado

Kris 15 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

Kizer can ball.

FJF likes this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

Forgot to add the video:

1:34 mark is a TD throw. I love this kid's pocket presence.

8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Good stuff. A lot of the throws though were to his first read who against the Saints defense were always open. Would want to see him have to go through his progressions.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Well if you subscribe to the Ron Wolf philosophy (I think its him) you keep drafting a QB every year till you hit gold

The abysmal Jets do no such thing except obsess and scratch their heads...in this last draft could we have not taken a flyer on ANY QB?? As if we are all set at the coming miracle from McGown. Petty and of course Hackenberg ..all future back ups. Instead we get TWO DBs?? This is all Bowles dopey decisions trying to save his job..those picks will be very good but of the same position??? ...Ridiculous bullying of Mac by Bowles

One manager Andy Reid, did no such thing who without any hesitation grabbed P Mahones a kid you can train into an NFL player. Smart move by a smart Coach .

JMHO

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I know it's just your opinion, but I disagree. :p LOL

If the Jets had taken a QB, they would have had 4 QBs that they had to divide the snaps between, and it would have hurt all the QBs. Unless they hadn't signed McCown or were planning on cutting Petty, drafting a QB in 2017 made zero sense imo. It would have been wasting a draft pick because unless that QB was taken in the first 3 rounds, the chances that that QB would have beaten any of the three out (unless they had given up on Petty, which they obviously hadn't at that time) were nil. With all the other team needs at other positions, it would have been dumb to take a 4th QB in one of the first 3 rounds and ignore other positions of need.

I liked Mahomes A LOT!!!! He was too risky for the Jets to take, however, especially that high. If he had fallen to their pick in the 2nd round, he might have been a consideraton, but not in the 1st. He needs to sit behind a solid, established veteran for a year or two. He couldn't have done that with the Jets. The Jets already have a QB in Hack that is in a similar situation that they're trying to groom.

Andy Reid is also the perfect coach to work with Mahomes, Bowles not so much.

As far as taking two safeties, the move was questionable at the time, but now looks to be brilliant. The Jets can now wind up with one of the NFL's best safety tandems for the next 10 years. Both are fast, athletic, hard hitters, good in coverage and leaders. They will make the CBs better and improve the run defense. They will create more TOs and will tighten up the pass D and should prevent all the long gainers and TDs against us last year.

11. 101GangGreen101

Agreed, long ways to go, but I do like how he operates in the pocket and how he moves around.

Mahomes looked pretty decent as well. Some of those skills are translating to the next level ie his play-making ability to make something out of nothing. He moved up the depth chart, still a long ways to go but him and Reid will make beautiful music together [no homo as they say].

12. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Mason Rudolph and Luke Falk each had monster days to open the year. Seems like they're in the tier below right now, but who knows if that can change. There's a lot to like about Falk's dedication and approach to the game

HAYN likes this.
  13. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Stat-wise draft eligible QBs who had a good opening week.

Allen and Darnold may have had bad days but there was certainly good QB play this first week. Baker Mayfield in particular. If he was two inches taller and had a slightly stronger arm he'd be the number 1 overall pick.

14. legler82

Where's the Stidham love? I'm guessing he needs to play better to get his own thread. Until then I'll continue to be the lone wolf driving that band wagon. He still IMO has the best combination of footwork, accuracy and arm talent in the class. I wish he would use his athleticism more to create plays downfield with his arm rather than tucking and running a lot of the time when the play breaks down. Hopefully as the rust wears off we start to see more of that. On to Clemson!

15. TouchyFeely

Here's a real dark horse. He's been getting some buzz in league circles and in the media lately. Rumor has it when he went to the Manning Academy Archie had a lot of good things to say about him, as far as saying he put Jared Goff to shame the year Goff went in the first round. Supposedly there was no comparison. He went again a few months ago and there's even more buzz about him after another strong showing.

6'4 220 with a live arm.

He quietly had a good game for Nebraska and made some impressive throws. He clearly has a wide field of vision when reading the field and uses his eyes to manipulate DBs before fitting the ball accurately in tight windows. And he throws a great deep ball.

#55 TouchyFeely, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    legler82 and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  16. legler82

Stidham may have the skill but it seems he lacks the will necessary to be a great QB. I think I need to change my avatar.

17. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Anyone have any thoughts on Mayfield?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

18. TouchyFeely

Physical limitations will preclude him from being drafted in the first but he's the most experienced, most accurate, shows up in big games, doesn't get rattled by pressure and he's a gamer. If he was 2 inches taller and could throw the ball 15 yards further he'd be an obvious first round QB and may still be despite all that. He's the kind of guy you trust to make the big play on 3rd and long or 4th down. Immature? Maybe, I don't know the guy personally.

If Cody Kessler can find limited success in the NFL, Baker Mayfield definitely can. He has a better arm than Kessler, is similar in stature, has better mobility, and is a rock solid college QB (as Kessler was). Baker Mayfield is Cody Kessler if Cody Kessler could play like Russell Wilson.

As of September 10th, 2017 Baker Mayfield is the best QB in the nation.

19. legler82

Lee has like 6 INTs in his last 5 quarters and something like 3 picks 6s. Yikes!

20. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I'm a huge Baker Mayfield fan. The guy is tough, gritty, a born leader and finds a way to get it done. I think he will be a successful NFL starter, but may not become a top 5 elite QB, which they're so few.