Richard Sherman inadvertinly said "the jets QBs sucks"

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by GasedAndConfused, Aug 3, 2017.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Richard Sherman sees Colin Kaepernick saga as 'stay in your place' injustice
    Aug
    8/3/2017 8:24:44 AM
    | More

Colin Kaepernick, who once quarterbacked the San Francisco 49ers to a Super Bowl, still hasn’t been signed by an NFL team. He’s paying a serious price – and fueling more debate – for the social statement in the name of injustice last year that sparked a movement and intense backlash, Jarrett Bell of USA Today reports.

“The funny thing about it, when you’re not being blackballed, you don’t have to say he’s not being blackballed,” Richard Sherman told Bell. “When football’s a safe game, you don’t have to say, ‘Football’s a safe game.’ It seems like the Commissioner always has to say things to justify something.

“But you didn’t even do this with Mike Vick. Vick came back and (eventually) got a $100 million deal.”

Kaepernick – being considered by the Baltimore Ravens amid a report, later denied by the team, that owner Steve Bisciotti may represent resistance while GM Ozzie Newsome and coach John Harbaugh want to sign the quarterback – is still the most striking hot-button issue in the NFL at the moment.

And there is probably no better person to gauge the pulse of players around the league than Sherman, a sharp, thoughtful man whose high profile has been bolstered by his willingness to speak his mind.

“What is it about?” Sherman said. “It’s not about football or color. It’s about, ‘Boy, stay in your place.’

“He played in Chip (Kelly)’s system last year and went 16-4 (TD-to-INT ratio) on a bad team. He played well because he’s a good football player. He may not be the best, but he’s better than a lot of these dudes starting.”

Sherman, an all-pro entering his seventh NFL season and member of the NFL Players Association’s executive committee, doesn’t merely question owners, GMs or the commissioner for how the Kaepernick saga has played out. He thinks fellow NFL players – many of whom he believe share his sentiments – need to speak up, too.

“Not a lot of guys are willing to step out there,” he said. “So the guys not speaking up for him are doing him a disservice. There should be a lot more guys saying something. Most guys are like, ‘I don’t want my job to end up the same way.’

“Mike B, speaks up,” he added, referring his teammate, defensive end Michael Bennett, “but on our team it’s like, ‘They’re a bunch of hippies over there.’ “

Baltimore has moved slowly, with Bisciotti seeking input from fans and others – including Ray Lewis, whom the franchise stuck behind when he was accused of murder and wound up pleading guilty to an obstruction of justice charge – to gauge the acceptance level for Kaepernick.

In Sherman’s eyes, this – on the heels of New York Giants co-owner John Mara maintaining during the offseason that he has received intense feedback from fans denouncing Kaepernick – advances the blackball theory.

“For you to say you have to check with sponsors and fans because this guy took a knee and made a statement?” Sherman said. “Now if you told me this guy threw eight pick-sixes last year and played like a bum, had no talent, that’s one thing. But Ryan Fitzpatrick, Ryan Mallett or whoever is playing for the Jets right now – whoever is starting for the Jets is terrible – have jobs. You’re telling me fans would rather you lose and put a worse player out there because a guy took a stand? That’s where it’s so troublesome to me.”

boozer32 likes this.
  2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

never forget that face, it's how football history will remember him

Woodhead likes this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The kap problem is the talent does not out weigh the perceived head ache(whether that headache justified or not does not matter)
    This is a fact Sherman will learn as soon as he has a down year.

4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Blackballed? Sounds kinda hot.

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don't think Sherman's comment was "inadvertent", it was specific and clear. He's pointing out that in his opinion the Jets don't have anyone better than Kaepernick, so they should be seeking to sign him, and since they aren't, he takes that as "proof" that Kaepernick is being blackballed for his political statement. But there are two other reasons that teams are ignoring him:

1. Although he won a SB, he's not considered an elite QB, able to carry a team by himself. So, unless a team has most or all of the other pieces in place, they're probably not going to look at him as the "difference maker". This is the case with the Jets IMO. They're trying to build from the ground up, and unless they could get an elite QB who will still be in his prime as they rebuild over the next couple if years somehow, they're not going to sign one who would actually impede their progress by enabling them to win a few more games, but leave them with a worse draft position.
    2. "Free speech" doesn't guarantee you the right to make your employer look bad. If you don't like what your employer does or how they do it, you can quit and find a new one, but you aren't guaranteed to keep your job by bad-mouthing them. That's not an "NFL thing, that's basic employment thing.

But as TC and the pre-season, and then the season unfolds, and the Jets show that none of their QBs are usable, how many here will begin to call for signing Kaepernick, even if if means they sink down in the draft position? And I wouldn't be surprised if Woody gave into them.

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I would put the over/under at zero.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Gimme the under

8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

So what is it exactly that he did that was so bad btw ?

9. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I'd like to take a moment to quite intentionally state that no matter which QB starts game one for the Jets this year--he sucks.

Petty and Hack both have potential to grow and develop, and maybe by the end of the year, they won't suck anymore. But as of today, they suck as NFL quarterbacks.

NYJetsO12 and boozer32 like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

He refused to stand for the National Anthem before a game, and remained on his knee.

boozer32 likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Don't put this in a facebook or twitter topic. Social Justice Workers will find out your address.

FJF likes this.
  12. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

That and wore socks with kill pigs or something on them. Some other stuff as well I believe

13. GasedAndConfused

I mean inadvertent as i didn't see it as an intentional insult but more him just making a comparison. Also cpa hasnt' won a SB. he played in one but lost. his record since then is 11-24 in the playoffs that season he threw 3 TDs and 3 INTs and under 55% completion. he also threw under 600 yards in 3 games (192 YPG) he played terrible that playoffs and hasn't bounced back since. he was carried by a good defense and run game. much like sanchez did for us. matter of fact sanchez has better stats in his 2 playoff runs then cap. his QB rating was 74. he's never been in a probowl and his career record as a starter is under 500. I don't see how he's any better then what we have personally.

I do agree with everything you said however, free speech doesn't mean you can be an asshole to people. especially when you ign an agreement saying you'll follow the code of conduct which basically means your :free speech" is now limited based on a contract you signed. The president can't give away confidential info because free speech.

14. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

While at this point, Kap would be the better option to win games for the Jets, the reality is the Jets signed a veteran QB that will provide guidance/mentoring for 2 young QB's that they have to find out about this year. Kap, and the circus that would make his signing by the Jets a complete disaster, wouldn't provide either of those attributes, because he'd be coming here to start, not mentor.

zace and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

yeah he'd likely be better then mckown but he wouldn't be our future. I still say the best thing for the jets is starting hack and finding out what he's got. i think that is more important then an extra win or 2

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I thought that was all he had done, we have a leader of the opposition party that hates the Queen and he very nearly toppled the government this last election.

Yet you (not you personally) outcast a sportsmen for making a stand (no pun intended) against racism, something America is still steeped in after all this time and at the end of the day it is only a tune :rolleyes:

Maybe being English and not having our national anthem rammed down our throats everyday (well in fact we never hear England's national anthem played, as we get the Great British national anthem instead, Land of Hope and Glory is England's not God save the Queen/King)

Just seems an over the top treatment of a person myself.

westiedog1 and Mogriffjr like this.
  17. zace

zace Well-Known Member

This for the win

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

18. ColoradoContrails

I don't know how it is in England, but in America it's all about "symbols over substance". I'm not going to get into a political rant here, but the fact is that not standing for the National Anthem is seen as a big "Fuck You USA!" by a lot of people. Personally I don't agree with that, and couldn't care less if he or anyone stands or kneels, but he knows what his employer expects and defied them, so he shouldn't really be surprised, or crying about it.

19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I agree with him.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  20. Nothing new. Folks take tasteless shots at the Jets all the time. Do the Jets ever stick up for themselves or do anything about it? Nope. The very same day this article comes out there's a CImini fluff piece w. Jet players current & former kissing Brady's ass on his birthday. There's no fight or sense of a team shield. No different on game day.

We fans used to take on the burden at least w. other fans...why bother anymore? The team is absolutely hopeless,can't get out of its own way & doesnt have a backbone.

Yes Richard Sherman our QBs suck..and guess what? Kaepernick wouldn't change anything than an even further divided locker room & a couple more measily wins that'd push us out of the only glimmer of hope fans have left.

egelband likes this.