The Official Fishing Thread is here!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Mar 26, 2013.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

went offshore bottom fishing yesterday..... VERY slow for everyone, including pro charter boats.
    We fished hard and only had a handful of pink porgies, vermillions, and a small mahi that i got on the freeline...... we did have a BIG snapper (prob wouldve been 30#) get axed in half by a shark (assuming as he just pulled up the head)

Luckily for me, my buddies dad didnt want any gas $$

Cman68 likes this.
  2. stinkyB

Ha, it's not too bad....... buy Hayn wins.
    He gets big waves too!

where I live in FL, the fishing is great because we have to work harder by running alot further offshore to find that blue water. Inshore water has a "marsh mud" ice tea color to it most of the time. I caught that pomp 25++ miles out. yesterday we ran 40+
    It gets expensive ;)

Cman68 likes this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Going bottomfishing on Saturday. Hopefully the blues will start running again but if not, I'll be bringing a rig capable of bottomfishing and bluefish jigging. Strange year for Blues and Stripers off Jersey. They're staying pretty far offshore. Damn near Hudson Canyon. Not sure what the issue is but things have been strange since Sandy. You can almost quantify the bites as Pre-Sandy and Post-Sandy.

#803 Cman68, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  4. stinkyB

that's a far run for bluefish......
    as far as bottom fishing I just gear up heavy..... then bring a stout spinner in case you see something higher up in the water column

5. Cman68

All the headboats increased their pricing for 2017 by $5. Now its $70 for a 3/4 day run, 40 for a 1/2 day. They also tightened up on bag limits for all the fun fish. I dont Fluke anymore because it doesn't make economic sense to. Bottomfishing at least gives you the chance to fill a cooler for your 70buks. I've also got my freshwater boat and gear ready for some lake action in August when its too hot to make the Jersey coast run. Either way, I'm fishin this summer and during this upcoming Jets debacle of a season!

6. stinkyB

ha, yeah.....
    IMO half day charters "offshore" are worthless. I'd rather fish less often, but make em count.

Go get "Fluke" in the back waters / bay in your little boat

Cman68 likes this.
  7. Cman68

Not sure if I posted this site before or not but its a pretty handy tool for us salties...

http://www.tides4fishing.com/na

Give it a shot Boyz. I think you'll be impressed. :)

8. stinkyB

yeah, been using that site for a few years now.... pretty good, but there are alot of variables with the "bite" and the solunar table..... especially the fullmoon days. Dont bother wasting gas $ to troll the the days following the full moon

The one constant seems when it says "zero fish day", its best to stay home and do chores..... and the "hot bite" definitely seems to coincide with "major feeding periods"

Cman68 likes this.
  9. Cman68

Yep.. its really helped me target the productive days to make the Jersey run. Between that site and watching the barometer, I almost got this inshore/offshore thing dialed in. m

Funny, but I noticed the fish in my tank's behavior when a storm is inbound. They all head to the bottom 1/3 of the tank and stay there until the storm passes.

10. stinkyB

Yeah, usually the day or 2 before a front passes through, the fishing heats up...... pair that with a "new" moon and they should be chewin.

Offshore it's best for us when there's a light SE breeze.... for whatever reason SW usually sucks (churns up coulder dirty/cloudy water?)

11. Cman68

A SE breeze just makes the water choppy up here. Offshore breezes flattens the water out and makes for a great day. More often than not, bottomfishing here means shrewsbury rocks or the mudhole.

Saturday's forecast is for 3ft seas and the website is calling for a high activity day. I just hope the blues are hitting. If not, I can live with the usual bottomfishing suspects.

12. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

yes and my bad, they are known as Kagami out here. looks very similar to Ulua and you're right that they don't get as big. regardless, awesome catch! they are damn good sashimi.

we are definitely spoiled by not just great conditions here but the variety of fishing. I can drive 5 minutes to one of my favorite spots and start whipping for lots of different types of reef fish. really wish I had a boat tho, and I still dive but not as much these days.

come out here some day bro!

stinkyB and Cman68 like this.
  13. stinkyB

Thanks..... and yes they are. I ate a few slivers while I was cleaning it :D

HAYN likes this.
  14. Cman68

Heading out tomorrow am. Blues still MIA so its bottomfishing time! With any luck, we might see some other sealife. Lately, there's been whale and dolphin sightings and those are always fun!

zace and HAYN like this.
  15. stinkyB

I'm guessing it was an unsuccessful day ;)

Got an invite for an overnighter.....to bottom fish 100 miles offshore in the Gulf this weekend..... fingers crossed.

16. Cman68

Mother Nature ruined a perfectly good fishing day. Got stuck doing hunny do's

17. stinkyB

SO... I was really looking forward to getting away from everything/everyone out in the middle of the ocean for the weekend but.....

We brought the boat over across the state....... got denied 20 miles out by weather..... trailer tire had a flat when we came in...... fixed that....drove around the corner and the truck's serpentine belt snapped.

Basically how I expect the JETS season to go

HAYN and Cman68 like this.
  18. Cman68

Sounds pretty Jetty to me too.

#818 Cman68, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  19. Cman68

Finally got out on the water on Sunday. Churches must have been empty cause the boat was assholes to elbows bow to stern. Filled with weekenders too so you can guess how the experience was. One idiot was using a 3oz sinker and tangled somebody on every drop. Wifey got pissed and sat out the last hour. Doubled my limit and took a +1 because of the aggravation. Can't wait for the fall season to start.

HAYN likes this.
  20. Cman68

Played hooky from work and went fishing. Unfortunately, I had forgotten that on Tuesday, a large storm had come up the coast and stirred things up. Hard day of fishing in spite of great weather conditions. Changed positions on the boat which was a mistake as the person that took my position won the $700 pool.. :(