When is the last time an upcoming season had such little excitement/expectations?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by vokab206, Jun 28, 2017.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I like when expectations are low because it seems the Jets can't usually handle when expectations are high and end up choking.

The jets are allowed to have a season where things aren't expected to go well, but if you look at it from the perspective of we just shed the roster of older/overpaid players, and have a bunch of young players on the roster, it is something to look forward to.

Even if bad or good, I'll tune in for every game because if the young players play well, we may surprise a few people. That's not to say we will win more than 5 games but I think we will be competitive.

LarryAlRalph and FJF like this.
  2. NYJ79

NYJ79 Well-Known Member

Never. Never felt this down before a season. Right now I'm coasting, hoping that spark will come back once they actually hit the field, because I've never given less of a fuck about football this late in the offseason. Last year completely hollowed me out.

3. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I feel the same way. If they cancelled this season and moved to the 2018 draft I wouldn't blink. Watching young players grow and high energy or not, we are going to be a lousy team and its getting old so in the end I am not looking forward to football at all. I might even skip watching a game or 2 to do something with my wife later in the season just for sanity purposes. How can anyone be pumped to go 3-13, 2-14, 5-11.. or whatever because you found some young players if that young player is not a QB. Now if Hackenberg wins the job and looks like the real thing that changes everything but with our OL and weapons that ain't happening

westiedog1 likes this.
  4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

So you weren't watching Jets football during Geno's rookie year and before, right?

5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Not really. Not all manner of 8-8 is equal.

If that 8-8 happens because we have a legitimate QB play in place, then that's a GOOD news. Of course I am not holding my breath, but then I am not ready to give up yet either.

LarryAlRalph and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

I'm okay with that. A lot of those here are over-focused on what they want the team to do, versus what they can do. As such they're setting themselves up to be disappointed yet again. I smile when fans talk about how long they've been waiting. I was 18 when the Jets won their Super Bowl, which makes me older than just about everyone here, and waiting longer than most as well. And I've learned it's better to be an optimist and occasionally wrong than a pessimist and always right. For any Jets fan who wants to keep their sanity, it's probably better to start looking at them this way. :)

#86 LarryAlRalph, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Excellent post. If it makes you feel better, you're not the oldest, and neither am I, but I was 15 when the Jets won the SB.

LarryAlRalph likes this.
  8. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

I personally have no idea how it feels to be a Jets fan who has seen his team in...and WIN a Super Bowl.

Not that I'm making fun of anybody's age or anything but to me the Jets are almost barred by God from participating in that game. I know it happened years before I was born but it just seems to be impossible. It's almost like elders telling me of when aliens descended from space, imparted their wisdom...and then left never to return. It happened. I see evidence of it. But it doesn't seem real.

The fact that there are people walking this earth who have seen the Jets in a Super Bowl, winning a Super Bowl. That's just amazing.

I have seen the Cubs win a World Series before the Jets win a Super Bowl.

9. LarryAlRalph

I've seen the Knicks win an NBA title also! :)

Cman68 likes this.
  10. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Let's just be honest here. These are our Jets. The night before week 1 we'll be amped up like crazy. We will follow this team to our graves.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The Jets won the SB when dinosaurs still roamed the earth! LOL

We're not barred by God. We're barred by our owner's (past and present) stupidity and meddling. It's admirable that he wants to learn, but he should hire a quality football man and let him run the team. Then Woody can learn while the team's winning. The problem is that he's never worked a day in his life or achieved anything, so he's determined to run the team and try to win.

If he had any sense, he'd realize that he's hurting and holding the team back. He'd realize that HE is the one who is making this team a laughing stock and get such little respect in the media. He'd realize that he needs to hire a quality football person to run the team and then step back and let that man run the team.

12. LarryAlRalph

As he's one of Trump's pals, I suspect he also surrounds himself with sycophants and yes men, and no one dares tell him the truth.

HomeoftheJets and Cman68 like this.
  13. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

If the QB play is Josh McCown, then no, that's not good news.

14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

McClown is incapable of anything better than 2-14 to begin with. If Jets stand at 8-8 with good QB play, that means McClown is out the door come spring.

15. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

I should buy some stock in a Beer Company, Have a feeling I will be drinking a lot during the jets Games this year

tomdeb likes this.
  16. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

LOL! Yes--I forgot the jets once trooped out at WR Clyde Gates whose claim to fame was dropping a potential TD pass against the Pats. Your "depth" chart should be renamed "no depth" chart when a team resorts to a scrub like that.

17. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

The words "excited" and "Todd Bowles" should NEVER be used in the same sentence.

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

[I'm excited at the prospect of Todd Bowles getting fired at the end of the season.]

Or is that illegal too?

Martin&theJETS likes this.
  19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

USA Today's NFL predictions:

[​IMG]

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Do we have last years predictions so we can get an idea how good they are at this?

HomeoftheJets and NYJalltheway like this.