Is Kevin Greene this teams future Head Coach in waiting?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by forevercursed, Jul 15, 2017.

1. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Everything Greene brings to the Jets I love. He was brought up in two quality franchises. The LA Rams of the 80's (and 70's for that matter) were a respected, quality franchise. Never quite got over the hump but they were a force to be reckoned with and always a contender. The Steelers of course we know what they're about. Greene has a Hall of Fame pedigree. The guy never took a snap off or half assed it on anything. He played with passion and intensity which rubbed off on his teammates.

He coached linebackers in Green Bay between 2009 and 2013 and was mentioned as a rising star assistant before leaving to be with his family more.

I just feel like the Jets are really high on him and after Bowles meekly bows out after the season it will be down to Greene or Morton for the HC job (Morton is also being praised as a great teacher/communicator)

Freddy Mondo and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

No. Nothing against Green but that Jack Armstrong, All American Boy combined with Matt Foley, motivational speaker routine would last about ten _____ minutes with guys like Sheldon and Mo. You got to be able to motivate them on a basic level but also have to be a cold calculating SOB. The dude knows more about being a 3-4 backer and rushing the edge than just about anybody though. He is a great positional coach.

4jetfans likes this.
  3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

LOL

Why not???

Bowles leaves and who wants the Jets HC job??...Zero decent candidates out there. Which has been an old story

Morton and Green have a shot imo

4jetfans, boozer32 and Jets69 like this.
  4. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Greene stepped away from coaching in 14 due to the time required and that was as a positional coach.
    I could see him possibly making the move to DC but not head coach.
    Let's see if Morton can make the leap to OC before anointing him future HC.
    The leap from position coach to HC is huge. Not many would be successful.
    If / when we move on from Bowles , I hope we look for a more experienced head coach
    We have not fared well with first timers.

#4 TonyFtLaud, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good post. All your points are spot on.

I have to laugh at some of the ideas and thought processes of some Jets fans. Morton is a first-time OC. While I think he will be successful, we need to see how he does as an OC before even beginning to consider him as a HC. While Greene has been a successful OLB position coach, he has never been a DC, so again, there is no reason we should be even thinking about him as a HC. Then there's the fact as you said that he stepped away from the game to spend time with his family. While I applaud him having his priorities in the right place, a man like that is unlikely to want to become a HC because of the time commitment, and we shouldn't want anyone who is likely to just step away at any time if he thinks his family needs him.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, the Jets have continually struggled and had little or no stability because with the exception of Parcells, Hess and Woody continually hire first-time HCs. We've seen and struggled enough with that. It's time to hire an experienced HC.

#5 NCJetsfan, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    ColoradoContrails and TonyFtLaud like this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

No, if the position comes open it will be a sweeping change. No leftover coaches will be here

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  7. Glenn G

Glenn G Member

All we seem to know about Greene is he is a good position coach but a HC is more about over-seeing the team and allowing your position coaches to handle the players than actually coaching. It is what led to the failure of Rex who could not let go of the defense.
    I don't think Greene is there yet

ColoradoContrails and TonyFtLaud like this.
  8. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

What do any of us know about him as a coach other then he's intense? For all we know he will suck as the lb coach and be gone with Bowles after this year. We need camp to start because this post is silly. I feel stupid replying

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

We've had it bad enough hiring rookie coaches. Now you're talking about hiring someone who's never even been a coordinator? I'm sorry but Barry Gibb is not the answer.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

We'd prolly be better off with him playing OLB over Mauldin

Jets69 likes this.
  11. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

OP, what exactly makes you feel that the Jets are really high on him?

Was there an article, an op-ed, a tweet that indicated that? Or you just woke up and felt something that you interpreted as "Jets are really high on Kevin Greene"?

Cause maybe it was just constipation :)

12. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

judging by how he played and some of the sideline clips/sound bites we have seen over the years i would say he has a little rex ryan in him.

that would be fine with me, but the natural progression would be to DC first. i always thought whatever head coach finally gets the jets to the bowl would be a not so buttoned down, rough around the edges kind of person.

13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

He'd be a better fit in Buffalo...
    [​IMG]

14. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

Problem is any coach with experience will know to stay the fuck away from the jets

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  15. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

If he were worthy to be a head coach he would have been one already...which makes him perfect for the Jests

CBG likes this.
  16. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I still cant believe we did this rebuild so ass backwards,,,,it started 3 years too late ! 2018 cant get here fast enough

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

What's the commom denominator? Woody is the problem. Bellicheck left day 1, Parcells didn't want to stay around, Groh bounced, Herm shot out of town. Nerdy little richie rich want to payback all the guys who towel snapped him the locker room.

#17 boozer32, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

true but that could change in 2018 with a boat load of cap space and a top 3 pick. An experienced NFL coach would likely see that as
    a major opportunity and grab his, and the jets, QB of the future.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  19. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

The one before Woody was an even bigger problem.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

A strong argument could be made that the rebuild should have started in 2013 after Rex and Tanny were fired/gone. That said, it does no good to dwell on it. It's water under the bridge. The important thing is that it is finally happening. We just have to hope that it will work.

RuJFan and TonyFtLaud like this.