Here's Why 2017 Won't be So Bad: 2016 was THE WORST

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 12, 2017.

1. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Thanks I needed that. But something stronger then Gatorade is required.

RPOZ51 and TonyFtLaud like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's because most in the media are morons and first-class jerks. They get paid to write and report on a sport that most of them know absolutely nothing about.

3. NCJetsfan

No, it wasn't at all, and further it makes zero sense. Who are the Jets gonna hire or promote to HC if they fire Bowles in October or November? That isn't the time to be changing HCs.

Further, you're saying the players would be tanking and not trying hard in order to get Bowles fired, and none of us should want that, and I can't believe the young Jets players would ever do that.

4. NCJetsfan

Rebuilding around the QB is in an ideal world. This isn't an ideal world. If the Jets wait until they have a FQB, they'll just continue to be a source of frustration and embarrassment by continuing the same sloppy, haphazard, complacent play. They can't wait for something that they might never get or might take 10 years to get.

Conversely, Hack could prove to be that QB that they rebuild around. It makes zero sense to wait to rebuild. They've already waited far too long to this. That's what they should have done when Rex was hired, then again when Bowles was hired.

5. NCJetsfan

I disagree. I think the difference between 2-14 and 6-10 is more on the coaching and offensive side. I think the D will be good, possibly even very good at times, until they get worn down. How much the D gets worn down and by extension, how well they play will depend upon how well the QB and offense play. If they can sustain drives and put up some points, the Jets can possibly hang tough against a number of the teams. If the offense has a slew of 3 and outs, the D will wear down quickly.

I think the DL will be solid to very good. How well the Jets do in the middle of the field will depend upon how much progress Lee has made, and if Davis or one of the other ILBs can step it up. I think the safeties will be just fine. Undoubtedly, they'll make some rookie mistakes, but I think they will help solidify the pass D and shut down their opponent's rushing attack. I think the key to the Jets' D will be whether Greene can get any of the OLBs to generate anything even remotely resembling consistent pressure on opposing QBs. If not, the Jets D will still be improved and be pretty good. If so, they could be a lot better than we think if they aren't exhausted from being on the field too much.

JohnnyJet likes this.
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

What did you think "interim head coach" meant? It would only make zero sense if it was unheard of in the NFL to ever remove a head coach mid-season. Bowles should not be driving the bus today - how dismal must the first ten games be before he no longer gets a pass on everything falling apart around him? I never said anything about any player tanking - where are you getting that from? In fact, I scoff at the idea that any kind of organized tank job can take place in the NFL. To indicate that any player or group of players would put their own careers on the line in order to attempt to oust an ineffective coach is ridiculous. Why would you get the faintest inference of that from anything I wrote?

Let me make this very simple for all those simple thinkers out there: I am a sit back and let time prove if personnel moves are successful kind of guy but believe today that Todd Bowles was the wrong man for the Head Coach job of the New York Jets. Although his career in New York may have started well I now believe that was in spite of him rather than because of him. While I would love to be proven wrong and find that his familiarization process with the job simply took longer than most of us would have preferred I expect a continuation of the kind of coaching exhibited last season.

If the Jets go into their bye week at 2-10 or 3-11 and appear to be no better prepared than last season and things like game planning, clock management and in-game adjustments are unimproved, if the team still comes out of the locker room uninspired why should there not be a consideration of removing him? Yeah, it's a longshot, but if that is the case what is lost by making such a move and what is gained by waiting until the season is over?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

"Simple thinkers"...lol.

8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Never mind. I guess I was expecting too much.

[​IMG]
    K-12 Education > National Measures of Achievement
    Performance on SAT Verbal/Critical Reading and Writing Exams
    (Updated September 2016)

Although controversy over the SAT persists on a number of fronts, the “critical reading” portion of the test (called the “verbal” portion until 2005) is a valuable measure of college-bound seniors’ linguistic skills because the test has been administered for several decades and thus permits comparison over an extended period of time. The relatively new writing portion of the test (added in 2006) is intended to measure another vital humanistic skill. Average scores on both measures have been trending downward in recent years.

Findings and Trends

In 2015, the average score on the SAT verbal test fell to a historic low of 495 (slightly below the 497 recorded in 2014); scores have been adjusted to take into account a 1995 change in the scoring system).

The mean score for the relatively new SAT writing test scores hit its lowest point in 2015. In the nine years since the test was first administered in 2006, the score has declined thirteen points.

The mean SAT verbal score for all college-bound seniors fell sharply from 1967 through the early 1980s, followed by a leveling off, with the mean score through 2010 varying within a relatively narrow band between the upper 490s and 510. Only in the most recent five years—from 2011 to 2015—did the mean SAT verbal score fall below 499. The College Board, which administers the SAT, has attributed at least some of the recent drop to “the fact that more lower-income students with less access to high-quality education are taking the test.

jilozzo likes this.
  9. Walt White

[​IMG]

10. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

We can always put a little Absolut in the Gatorade.

That helped during the Kotite years.

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

5 Worst Seasons in the last 12 years:
    2016 was obviously brutal at 5-11.
    2014's 4-12 was disgusting too.
    2012 was horrendous even at 6-10 and fully in the playoff hunt with a couple weeks to go.
    2007's 4-12 was awful. Trying to get rid of Chad, despite Kellen being awful.
    2005 we had the QB-Palooza.

I truly feel like 2017 will be better than those seasons. As Jets fans, we are prepped for a tough season win-wise. Watching the young guys could be fun though. You will see.

12. Walt White

Hopefully these guys, Mac & Co., make good decisions and get lucky too, and guys already on the roster develop.
    For me following a team on the rise from the bottom is some of the most fun as a fan. I'm kinda rejuvinated after the lows you mentioned because they're starting over and there's some hope...for now anyway.

#72 Walt White, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    The Dark Knight likes this.
  13. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Not without a qb. Hack is the key I can't take a season of losing with mccown

NCJetsfan and The Dark Knight like this.
  14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Agreed. You can see a long-term plan taking shape. Haven't had that in a long time it feels like.
    I agree with that 100%. If McCown is named the starter, I would give him a short leash. Like 3..... or 4..........DRIVES. :D

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

I am fully in the disaster camp when it comes to 2017 but I also realize that it is fully necessary for us to be in position to get the QB and a mother load of high draft picks and free agents....

that being said - I think bowles and the GM should put a gag order on the players regarding any discussion about tanking the season. it doesn't read well regardless of how much you deny it.

JohnnyJet, NCJetsfan and TonyFtLaud like this.
  16. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

A little late. Enunwa appears to have opened his mouth earlier today and confirmed that the team is tanking.

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If McCown remains the QB throughout the season (or until the last couple of games), then either:

1. The Jets really ARE tanking, OR
    2. (Assuming Bowles remains the HC during that), Bowles is a moron AND Woody really doesn't care. OR
    3. Petty and Hack are actually not NFL-caliber QBs.

Frankly, I don't see McCown playing beyond the first 3-4 games, max.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

The plan better be to not play McCown any more than they absolutely have to, or unless it's absolutely necessary.

19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Never is way too many games for him really.

hwismer and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

What has he said ?