Here's Why 2017 Won't be So Bad: 2016 was THE WORST

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 12, 2017.

1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Agree. The way I see it, as currently formulated this is an 0-16 team. There isn't a team on the schedule that's worse than the Jets including Cleveland and Jacksonsville. The only reason I can see the Jets maybe getting two wins is because this is football, and the ball sometimes takes funny bounces. It all depends on the QB. Without the ability to sustain drives and put points on the board, the defense, no matter how well they play, will wear down eventually. Unfortunately, to this point, we have seen no evidence that any of the QB's on the roster can play to the level needed. We can only hope they can. Every team that plays the Jets this season will be looking at the game as an opportunity to add to their win column and pad individual stats making it that much tougher to win. We better stay thirsty, it will take a lot of Dos Equis to get through this season.

JohnnyJet and TonyFtLaud like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Well, that emotional surge usually comes with the change of HC, not RB Coach, DB Coach, OLB Coach or OC. Besides, the Panthers have a great offense and a very good front 7 that can pressure the QB. The Chiefs have one of the best coaches in the NFL and excellent offense and defense.

Do you really think that whatever emotional surge the Jets get from changing OCs and a few position coaches will be enough to upset either of those teams, much less both, or are you just trolling?

westiedog1 likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

While 0-16 would be embarrasing and hard to stomach, it's not like we haven't seen it before, and it would be worth it if:

1. The Jets find out who is going to help them going forward;
    2. Most of the young draft picks play well and show that they are developing/making progress;
    3. The Jets find out whether Hack or Petty can be the answer at QB;
    4. It enables us to be free from Bowles and Rodgers;
    5. And most importantly, the Jets wind up with either Darnold or Allen (or whomever is considered the top QB) plus one of the top LTs or top OLB/edge rushers.

This would be even more worth it if the Jets defense does play very well, but just wears down because of poor QB play. Having the first pick in every round would give the Jets LOTS of choices and opportunities to fix the roster. They could stay put and have their choice of the best player left in each round, or they could trade down a time or two and add additional picks.

In addition, if the team does go 0-16, that would likely be too much for Woody to stomach, and Bowles would almost certainly be fired. Mac could be as well, I don't think he would or should be if most of his draft picks really play well.

If both Burris and Shell wind up starting and playing well, it would show that Mac can find good players in the lower rounds. If any of the OLBs are able to provide any kind of consistent pressure, Adams, Maye and Lee play anywhere near their potential, and if the young WRs step up and play well in spite of the QB play, I think Mac would be safe.

JohnnyJet likes this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It's hard to say. I think you are right on most of that though. I look back on the 1996 Jets. 1-15, but showed potential each game. Parcells takes over, jumps to 9-7 in 1997 and into the AFC Title Game a year later in 1998 with a 12-4 record.

If Jets fans thought that was reasonably possible for 2018/2019, they would surely sign up for this loss-filled 2017 season. My worry is that this roster has much less talent than that 1-15 team did. The good news is the NFL is not designed for teams to suck year after year unless they are run terribly. The bad news is the Jets have looked like one of those poorly run teams the last 6 years.

5. westiedog1

As you know, I've never been a big fan of "the tank" but since we appear to be doing it, I agree with most of your post. The exception is above. I don't think anyone, including Bowles, can reasonably be held accountable for an 0-16 season with this roster. I think Bowles stays put for at least another year.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I kind of see it much like NCJet. Mac will be protected if his draft picks like Lee and Adams and Jordan can show major progress. If Anderson and Shell shine he will be in fat city. If Hack shows he has what's it takes MAC will be our GM for a long time.
    Bowles future is not so clear, and coaching mistakes and lack of team effort will be magnified this year. He has to get his team ready to play and play hard, smart football. If it becomes an issue of poor game planning, or bad calls, or playing talent out of position, he might be shown the door. To loose with a strong, competitive effort is one thing, to be embarrassed by poor performance is another.

#46 LAJet, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  7. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

Gather yourself up, man.

If being a Jets fan were easy, everyone would do it.

We're here for you, but you need to be strong.

Now go back to the bench, get yourself some Gatorade, and be ready for the next series.

8. NCJetsfan

The team is not tanking. You need to put that out of your mind. They are simply doing what they've needed to do for years, tear down the roster and start over. They've needed to stop trying to put bandaids on a festering wound. The only way to heal the wound is to use antibiotics, and it may require scraping away dead tissue or some sort of surgery.

Like LAJet, I think Bowles could easily be held accountable if the team shows little effort, continues to beat itself with sloppy play and/or mental errors, if game planning is poor, if the team shows up unprepared multiple times like in previous seasons, if he starts McCown all season and doesn't give Hack or Petty a shot, if he loses the locker room, and/or if he fails to show that he's correcting/making progress on his weak areas like game and clock management, holding players accountable. If he doesn't show that he has learned from his mistakes the previous two seasons, and made strides forward, there is no reason whatsoever to keep him. It's one thing for young teams to play hard, but lose due to rookie mistakes, lack of talent/depth, inconsistency, or even learning how to win, but quite another to lose because game planning is poor, the team isn't prepared to play, players are played out of position, etc.

hwismer, LAJet and The Dark Knight like this.
  9. The Dark Knight

No way. If the Jets go (0-16) Bowles is surely fired. That is the worst you can possibly do in professional football. The team's roster isn't bad enough to cost them every single game. A good coach can win 4-7 games with this team. A great coach could probably get them to .500. Especially with average QB play. I'd say Bowles could stay with another 5-11 season if the team was showing potential. Anything less, and he is out the door. He was truly horrendous last year as a HC.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. westiedog1

Well, you may not like the "T" word but the media including the NFL Network is sure using it a lot.

11. The Dark Knight

The media sucks. They keep talking about the Jets as if they are at the Browns level as a franchise, when in truth the Jets have been a pretty successful franchise since 1997. Even the last 6 years, which have been hell to me, featured an (8-8) 2011 and 2013 team, and a (10-6) 2015 team. For some reason the media likes to insult the Jets. I don't get it.

hwismer likes this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I agree Mac will be fine if enough of Lee, Adams, Anderson, Shell, and Hack shine. But they really have to shine. As in above average starters to Pro Bowlers, like other teams have. E.g. "Wow Jack Conklin made First Team All Pro his rookie year." Not "Wow Robby Anderson looks really fast out there, reminds me of Antonio Brown if I tilt my head the right way."

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

To be fair, I think there is some serious misconceptions about any NFL team doing something deliberately simply to tank for a first pick.
    IMHO. A reputable franchise would never,ever go into the season with that premise. It's simply not even remotely ethical but also a suicidal business decision to do so. It strikes to the integrity of the players,the fans and the entire franchise. You will never recover from that.
    Rebuilding the core of a poorly staffed team with no upside for the future is an entirely different matter. You often have to take a step back and strengthen the foundation, and in doing so it causes to tear down aspects of the team that might make you weaker for the near term but necessary for a much better team in the long term. When you do so you might very well be less competitive against stronger teams. So the odds against a successful season go way up. But that does not mean you do not play every freaking game with the intention of winning, and as such you train hard, you play hard and you coach smart and with a winning game plan.
    Bowles, Mac nor any other player for that matter would ever get fired for doing their best and giving it all, but they sure as hell will if the team simply gives up and not try their best.
    Tanking is giving up and is for forever losers. Rebuilding is trying harder, smarter and better and is for winners. Big, big difference no matter what the record ends up to be.

#53 LAJet, Jul 14, 2017
  14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I was talking about a Head Coach change for the Jets in November - I thought that was obvious.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The difference between 2-14 and 6-10 is all on the defensive side of the field. If the Jets defense is decent it's going to be very hard to lose enough games to get a top 3 pick.

I figure we'll have a good idea of where the season is headed when we see how Mo Wilk bounces and whether the young CB's are serviceable and whether the 2 rookie safeties are really good. It's hard to lose a bunch of games when you are solid up the middle and edges are competent.

16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

We already suffered 1-15 Kotite years. That means, in order to be historically bad, we'd have to be 0-16 Lions bad. If you remember, Lions that year didn't even have a settled starting QB up until the season opener, and they had to sign Daunte Culpepper out of retirement.

I get it - this season WILL suck. But will it be HISTORICALLY bad? I don't think it will get that bad.

17. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

So now it's a longshot? Okay, yep, I'll be there till the end of the season...Next year too. Promise ;)

#57 Walt White, Jul 14, 2017
  18. westiedog1

I would agree, but I'm just reporting what the outside world is calling it. I tend to agree with what the Jets are doing. Always thought there were too many complacent players on the roster. Nevertheless, I question the timing. In my judgement, you rebuild around a QB. If you rebuild without first securing that natural leadership position, you risk bringing in someone not a fit for the team you've started to rebuild. Not saying it won't be successful, but most teams get set at QB first.

19. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

This season will more than likely be terrible as far as W-L go.
    The roster is the worst in the league and the only team that is nearly as bad is the 49s.
    The Browns and Jax both have much more talent then the Jets at this point.
    We can easily Finish with 0-3 wins.
    If.... This season is full of ifs. If the rookies all shine , the second and third year players all make major improvements. Mo and Sheldon return to form. Hack steps in and proves he is a FQB. Enunwa can go from a #3 to a legit #1, we find a couple other Recievers who prove to be reliable, not just flash on occasion.
    We actually get production from a TE. ASJ stays sober and manages to learn the playbook, Leggette learn to block and actually decides to put in the effort.
    The D has potential , but they are going to be on the field too much and will wear down. Adams looks like the read deal , Williams is the best player on the team, should be drawing double teams opening things up for Mo and Sheldon ( both in contract type years.) The corners are a big question and if anyone goes down, there's little depth. If Forte and Powell stay healthy,
    If Bowles hears that loud pop every game day , you know, the sound his ass makes when he pulls his head out of it . If all those things happen, 6-8 wins are possible, not probable , but possible.
    The upside to this season is getting to watch and see what young Players step up , and what kind of effort they give.
    Anyone who looks at this roster and thinks it's better than 3 wins , or next year's draft will complete the rebuild is fooling themselves. This is year one of a multi year process. The positives are it was long over due and there's only way to go from here.

JohnnyJet and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. The Dark Knight

Best post I have seen on TGG in awhile! :):cool:

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.