Sheldon Richardson team leader

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Jun 22, 2017.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Here's how I viewed his second season. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Lorenzo could not set the edge in the run game. That's why Sheldon played linebacker, and ate up Lorenzo's reps. Now the passing game to me LZ has awful command of how he uses his hands. Can't shed blocks. I hope he improves but I doubt it.

Make or break indeed.

2. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yep. Looked like he wasn't sure what he was doing. Possibly lacks instincts to be a complete OLB, and is pretty much one dimensional as an edge rusher. Didn't warrant a major role either way.
    Also, McClendon, and Simon, are stout in the middle. McClendon was good.
    Let's see what happens this year and what roles some of these players earn on the field. The roster has a way to go still and unless Mauldin gets better they're gonna be wanting at OLB again unless maybe they get lucky with one of the rookies.

3. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

im glad there is another person out there who gets it and truly wants to see guys grow up and do well. so many of these jealous fans want nothing more than to hate on a guy at the drop of a hat and hold indiscretions against them forever. as if they never did anything wrong or stupid or worthy of people thinking they were assholes.

4. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

Exactly .. team leader lol .. he's already revealed he's playing nice in a contract year. I personally do smell repeat offender .. at least one more time.

5. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

I think all Jet fans want to see Sheldon do well. However past history with Sheldon does not weigh on that side.

Walt White likes this.
  6. Walt White

Deeds. Not words. That's what a leader does. First proving that you're gonna actually be on the field, be present and reliable, full time is a start.

7. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

He's far from a team leader and I don't think he will ever be one, however I do expect him to have a big year this season because it's his contract year and he's routinely stated he wants to make big $ on his second deal. Good luck to the team who gives him it. I can't imagine it being this front office.

8. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

wI love it! contract year or not, a great player should be a great leader.

as one of the older guys on the roster (even though he's still young) he should be taking these steps.

I think Sheldon, Leo, DeMario, & soon if not now Jamal Adams will be our vocal leaders for the next few years

edit: yes, I think we re-sign Sheldon

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I sure hope you're wrong. I think re-signing Richardson would be a huge mistake and one that they would rue very quickly. If Mac re-signs Richardson, then Mac must go.

10. JetLifeLo

lol that's ridiculous.

imagine being fired for re-signing one of the best players at his position in the NFL, because he got in one off the field incident that he wasn't charged for two years ago..

He hasn't been in trouble since and he's been a "talker" since we drafted him... big deal. You guys act like he's the second coming of Greg Hardy

TonyFtLaud, alleycat9 and FJF like this.
  11. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Santonio Holmes, Team Leader.

12. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

One of the few guys who actually looks like he's trying out there. But, yeah, he drives like an idiot.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No it's ridiculous that you'd want to keep a cretin like that on the team, especially when it makes no sense since we have Mo and Williams, both of whom are better players, and it would be tying up too much money in the DL.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  14. JetLifeLo

so he's stupid because he made one mistake in life? Damn how does it feel to be perfect?

and why are you worried about money? who do we have signed? We have a shit load of money. you're really over exaggerating Sheldon's incident.

When you actually get a chance to watch a Jets game, you'll see he's one of the only guys that plays like he gives a damn out there.. winning or losing.. good record or bad record... but yeah.. you want him gone.. because he doesn't live the perfect fairy tale life that nobody lives. makes no sense bro.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

And that makes him a cretin

16. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

That would be relevant to me if I was interested in him to do something like prepare my taxes or perform surgery on a member of my family. Playing football, not so much.

BrowningNagle and FJF like this.
  17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Or if he is your uber driver. Although you know you won't be late.
    Don't think your dr hasn't sped past you on the interstate once or twice

Dierking likes this.
  18. Walt White

He is? What position exactly? Whatever it is if Sheldon established that he would play it. He's played with three top shelf guys, and he needs to show it now.
    Mo and Leo turn it up this year will help Sheldon a lot. But McClendon can play, and Simon maybe also. They're stout in the middle. I'd like to see Sheldon succeed. But he needs to prove a lot this year imo.

19. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

richardson showed alot in his first 2 seasons and was even played as a stand up lb at times. his past 2 years havent been phenomenal but he has the ability to step up and really produce. he has far better ability to change and move and take on different responsibilities than either wilkerson or leonard.

folks get way too caught up in their own personal opinions on other peoples personal lives or the way they carry themselves. they have little to no grasp that most nfl players have very little in common with them. but they want them to act like a 40 year old accountant with 3 kids and a wife at home.

TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  20. Walt White

My opinion regarding Sheldon as a player has nothing to do with his personal life. However his personal life and maturity may well have affected his play. It's not one thing. It's almost a pattern. Sheldon needs to stfu and produce on the field. Leader? Nah, not at this point.
    Even if he does it doesn't mean they'll resign him. They may feel he's not exactly what they want as a player moving forward. Or they may not like him. We don't know. By all accounts they tried to move him and couldn't. Wonder why?
    Sheldon has an opportunity for a big pay day. Let's see what he does. Mo and Snacks earned their money. Let's see Sheldon do it.

#60 Walt White, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017