2016-17 NBA THREAD

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by JetLifeLo, Oct 4, 2016.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Knicks sign Tim Hardaway Jr. to a $71 million offer sheet?? ohhhhhkayy then

2. John Lombardo

John Lombardo Active Member

Looks like Avery Bradley is going to Detroit for Marcus Morris. I called in a radio show a while back and predicted Bradley would get traded to Detroit for Drummond... Almost!

Better than nothing, they weren't paying Bradley after this year.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I guess for me it's the way it's been done. Collusion seems to be the way to go, and it's something that could easily be changed by the players.

Durant really couldn't sign a one year deal with the Thunder and give it one more go with Russ and the 7 footers?

I wasn't alive on the 80s so I can't speak to it, but was it always a foregone conclusion as to who would be playing in the finals like it has been/will be with the Cavaliers and the Warriors nowadays? This is an honest question.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

This is a good signing for the Heat. If they don't get hit with the injury bug down the stretch they could've won a playoff series if they slipped into the 6 seed.

Kelly O. is one of the best bench players in the NBA IMO.

Absolutely perplexing, not to mention who is making such a decision?

So the Knicks wait until after the draft to get rid of Phil, so that he could screw it up first by getting his triangle point guard. Then they sign Hardaway Jr. to a deal worth $17.75 million/year after he averaged 14 points per game in the last 30 games he had the opportunity to start in. Oh and this is the same player they just traded away two years ago.

Horrible.

By comparison, the much more established Dion Waiters will make around $13 million/year.

I'll never hate on these guys for making as much money as they can, but Andre Roberson is an absolute bum. I believe he was 0-12 from the line (or something like that) in one game against the Rockets in the playoffs. If he hits 4 or 5 of those he wins, and if I remember correctly they were hacking him to get him to the line. A wing player! And he got $10 million a year (albeit no longer a lot of money in the NBA). That's wild.

#805 Jonathan_Vilma, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    Red Menace likes this.
  5. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Heard the most radically awesome suggestion for talent distribution yesterday - every single year you redraft every single player lol

Each city has a whole new team each season

6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Let me put it to you this way, the big 3 of today were no match for the 4 HOF starters not counting the all star bench players that the Celtics and Lakers used to put on the court.

When the lakers and Celtics met in the finals, there were 9 HOF players on the court at the same time.

Then the bench players came in, it was crazy.

FJF likes this.
  7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

It's only been three years in which there has been such clear best teams in each conference, hardly an anomaly in the NBA other than it has happened simultaneously in both conferences. In the 2000's the Lakers win three straight titles, in the 90's the Bulls did twice.

Having a dominant team over a three year period is very common in the NBA, the only real difference is that it has happened in both conferences.

And in the 80's the Lakers won 5 titles, and it was almost as much of a foregone conclusion that they would make the Finals.

The fact is that in the NBA it is a regular occurance for a team to dominate the league. It's happened in every decade since the 80's. Hell, in the 2000's we had two teams basically dominate it in the Spurs and Lakers. The only question through a lot of the 2000's was would it be the Lakers or Spurs.

There isn't anything unusual about it now that it is the Warriors, other than the near historic manners, stastically, in which they have won over the last three seasons.

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Steve Mills. To avoid getting replaced he needs to show Dolan he means business, i.e. he can blow money like his predecessors. He also needs to clog the Knicks' books so nobody else wants the job. It's a stroke of genius if you look at it from the right point of view.

FJF, Jonathan_Vilma and JetBlue like this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Fair enough and a valid explanation. It also just so happens that whatever team LeBron chose automatically became a near instant lock for the finals so long as he stayed in the East.

It's amazing that the MLB is the league that has sported the most parity over the last twenty years, despite it being completely uncalled. The Red Sox and Giants have each won three World Series, Yankees and Cardinals have each won two since 2000. It's rarely been a foregone conclusion whom would win in the years they did, except for maybe the Cubs this past year.

Funny how that works.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Funny how their main target was a "scoring" shooting guard rather than a distributing point guard (although there aren't/weren't a ton on the market). I guess they're saying their prayers that the rook is ready to start right away.

They better hope that Hardaway Jr. is ready to come in and average 15-18 points per game consistently. The Hawks were developing well. Somehow I don't think his development will continue although I do like Hornacek as a coach if he's given the ability to make his own decisions.

So I'll pose the question; which team will be competitive more quickly? The Nets or the Knicks? I'm a Nets fan so I'm hoping for the former.

11. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

76 hexed another 1 injured

12. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Don't know much about this guy but he appears pretty smart.

Report: David Griffin pulls his name out of Knicks GM, President search

Former Cleveland Cavaliers general manager David Griffin has withdrawn his name from the New York Knicks' search for a new general manager and president, ESPN's Marc J. Spears reports.

Griffin met with Knicks executive Steve Mills in New York City over the weekend. No formal contract offer was made.

The Knicks are looking to replace Phil Jackson's responsibilities as general manager, which include running the day-to-day basketball operations. Mills could take on Jackson's previous responsibilities as president. Mills had the final say in the Knicks' four-year, $71 million contract to Tim Hardaway Jr.

Griffin turned away from the opportunity because he and the Knicks could not agree on a role, according to ESPN's Dave McMenamin. The Knicks and Griffin were also at odds over Griffin's preference to bring in his own staff for the front office.

• Grades: Knicks Make Massive Offer To Flawed Tim Hardaway Jr.

Griffin was not re-hired by the Cavaliers despite serving a role in constructing Cleveland's 2016 championship team. He spent three years in Cleveland before parting ways in late June.

13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The Knicks have Porzingis and all their picks, so if I could buy either team I'd take the Knicks, bad contracts and all. But Dolan owns the Knicks, and he'll screw them up for as long as he lives, so the only question is whether Prokhorov can get it right the second time around. Sucks that the NY metro area has so many moronic owners: Dolan, Prokhorov?, Woody, Wilpon, Wang. Also I have to say, Prokhorov's debut was impressive. He screwed the Nets worse than any owner has ever screwed a team, except maybe Stepien.

As I said, Steve Mills working his magic.

14. Walt White

Yeah, they're fucked.

Just saw while watching the baseball game somebody report that it's Mills for the foreseeable future. That means dolan too. Fuhgeddiboutit :mad:

15. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

not just Mills, people say Allan Houston is one of the most incompetent front office people in the whole league

Walt White likes this.
  16. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Houston has been a part of the FO through all of this calamity. At best, he's completely incompetent in influencing others to make sound decisions.

Walt White likes this.
  17. Walt White

I guess dysfunctional would be part of the description of Dolan's crew, starting with Dolan for sure. It's like Isaiah Thomas 2.0. Unbelievable. Dolan's worse than Woody if that's possible. Two incompetents holding their franchises back for years. It's fuckin insanity :eek:

18. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Ahhh ...

Not quite the feeling of having two top 5 players anymore... but I guess having two top 10 players will do. Still no other team besides the warriors have that luxury in the west..

Since OKC got PG without having to move Adams or Kanter... something tells me we are still in play for one more big move, maybe not until February. This could be OKC's last run.. so Presti is going to go all in. I'll be keeping my eye out for how them boys in New Orleans play this year, if they are under or flirting with .500 around February, OKC should make a call about trading for Boogie Cousins. Adams or Kanter (who knows the way Presti can finesse people) could headline a blockbuster trade package for him.

Then can we compete with "that juggernaut out west"

19. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

That sounds good on the surface, however I can't see them letting him go mid season no matter what. They traded away some nice assets to get him, so I don't think they'd have a sale for him.

Also The Rockets have 2 top 10 players. Seems like you forgot that.