When is the last time an upcoming season had such little excitement/expectations?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by vokab206, Jun 28, 2017.

1. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

ZERO buzz and excitement.

boozer32 and ConcordeChops like this.
  2. Boba Jett

Boba Jett Member

I know I'll get some(a lot) hate for this, but I haven't been truly excited for a season since Rex was coaching, especially at the beginning. However this year has to be kinda rock bottom. Of course I'll watch, but have a feeling it will get too painful about halfway through the season.

3. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

I think by October 1st the balloon will be deflated.

4. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

That time I bought 5 PSL's for the middle school football team located 2 states over. I was all pumped up but when I tried to invite 4 friends to each game I had trouble filling the minivan every time. It was like what the **** people?

5. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Last season.

tomdeb and harts24 like this.
  6. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

As little excitement as there is i have made peace with it. Either we tank and get, what should be, the QB of the future. Or some young guys perform, we surprise a few people and the future looks bright. Either way i have taken solace in the fact that as long as we win a single game i am fine with just watching how guys develop. Our safeties alone should account for a few highlight hits. Who knows, maybe Hack is the next Favre. Doubtful but possible.

ajax, nycarl, hwismer and 2 others like this.
  7. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Rex's last season when we had no Cornebacks after we lost Mevis. This is much worse because the QB is actually worse and I don't have any confidence in the head coach running the defense. Rex or Bowles are lousy HC but not matter what Rex was a very good dee coordinator. I have not been impressed by Bowles dee at all

boozer32 likes this.
  8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

This year is all about watching individual players and paying attention to weak areas that need to be addressed.

We are probably gonna be underdogs in every game we play. The last time we fielded a team this shitty, I made a nice little bundle covering the spread.

Betting may be the only way to stay interested this season.

boozer32 and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

2014. That roster was fucking terrible, stood no chance to compete.

10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

There are differing forms of excitement, fuck me it isn't like we have gone into a season expecting to realistically make a super bowl for 20+ years or more.

I am sick of the excitement that a 10/6 season brings, let us go with the flow and see where this rebuild can take us, hopefully it will be like resuscitating a long dead corpse and reanimating it into a well run super bowl winning franchise.

Stranger things have happened and let's face it, we would only be bumbling along like always, give it 3 seasons and see how it develops and fingers crossed we can become a winning team without having to cheat our way to the top like those c**ts

11. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

It's the Jets.
    Hope for the best, expect the worst.

boozer32, RPOZ51, Cman68 and 2 others like this.
  12. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

I remember feeling better about the 2014 team compared to the 2013 team, which was Geno's first year, where we somehow managed 8-8. I think that was the year ESPN had the Jets ranked as the worst team in the league. Featured a WR group of Kerley, Clyde Gates, Hill, preseason hero Ryan Spadola, and the shell of Santonio. I don't think we added Nelson or Salas until mid-season.

For this year, when it comes down to it, it's football season, so I'm excited for everything, in addition to the Jets, regardless. That said, all the talk of tanking actually has me legitimately curious to see how the team responds, particularly Hackenberg whenever he gets his shot. And there's a bunch of younger second year and a few first year players I want to watch.

I say that now, but I'm tempted to liken it to the build-up to preseason football, where by the end of summer and after all the training camp reports, I'm chomping at the bit for anything resembling actual football... but about two possessions into the first game, you remember preseason football is awful. This might as well be the 2017 Jets.

13. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Probably Idziks first year where we ended up going 8-8. If I recall that was supposed to be among the worst teams in football from a roster standpoint.

FJF likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Just last season, or any of the previous seasons since Rex's rookie season (2009).

I realized very early in the 2009 season that Rex was a blowhard and buffoon, so even though the team was exciting and there was some hope in 2009 and 2010, I knew that the Jets would never win anything with Rex as HC. After 2010, I just wanted him, Tanny and then Idzik gone.

I didn't expect much in 2015 with Fitz at QB. My only excitement then was that Rex, Idzik and Tanny were all finally gone and there was some hope for the Jets and that Bowles and Mac might prove to be great hires. Even with Fitz's career year in 2015, I wasn't expecting anything last season other than his coming back down to earth and returning to form. Any excitement I had last season was in hoping to see Petty play.

I'm sorry that you can't get excited about watching our young players this season. One of the most fun parts of watching and rooting for the Jets is seeing young players they add to the team develop, play well, and become future stars. Unfortunately, due to the lousy drafting over the last 10 years, it's been a long time since I've had much excitement or fun in that regard.

I'm excited because we have a lot of young players. They bring energy and hunger and a sense of urgency to the field. The team is faster, and that is more exciting. I'm excited to see who makes the final roster.

Offense
    I'm excited to see if Hack can win the starting QB job in TC and if Petty can replace McCown on the depth chart. I'm excited about seeing Anderson continuing to develop. I'm excited to see if Peake can step up and become more of a factor. I'm excited to see what Stewart and Hansen can bring to the offense. I'm excited to see if Enunwa can rise to the challenge of becoming a #1 WR. I'm excited to see what happens with ASJ? He has a ton of potential. I wanted the Jets to draft him when he came out of college. Now that he's sober, in great shape and looking great on the field, I don't see how anyone couldn't be excited to see what he can bring to the offense. I'm excited to see Leggett. If nothing else, he rose to the occasion in big games. I'm curious to see if he works hard on his route running and blocking and becomes a real factor for us or whether he winds up being a JAG or even a bust. I'm excited to see Morton's offense and what kind of job he does as OC. I think the potential is there for the unit to be a LOT better, more disciplined, more productive and efficient.

Defense
    I'm totally excited about Adams. I wanted the Jets to draft him and they did. He has the potential to be at least a perennial All Pro if not a HOFer. How long has it been since we've had a young player we could say that about? I'm excited to see what Maye will bring to the team and how Adams and he will work together. Since they've been friends for years and always wanted to play together, their communication should be great, and the back end of the D should become solid. I'm excited to see how much Burris progresses and what he can do. I'm excited to see how much Lee has learned and progressed. I'm excited to see what Greene does with Mauldin, Jenkins, Josh Martin, and the other OLBs. I'm excited to see Mo bounce back from his injury and have a huge year. I'm excited to see if the Jets can finally stop TEs and RBs over the middle.

STs
    The only real thing I'm excited about there is the prospect of having an actual, honest-to-God real returner who can do something back there and not just fair catch punts or have pedestrian returns. I'm curious to see if Catanzaro bounces back and has a better year, and I'm curious if Edwards can show us his supposedly strong leg this year and boom punts like the Jets thought when they drafted him.

The things I'm not excited about are seeing Bowles and Rodgers coach again this year. They could be the real downers to this season. The possible silver lining to that, however, is if they're as bad as I think, they both will be gone following the season, the Jets will be picking in the top 3, and will have a new HC next season.

hwismer, K'OB and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

16. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Hard to get a "buzz" on when we are going to be a door mat for most teams and we are competing for the toilet bowl.

Check back this time next season though... I guarantee we will all be planning a parade

17. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I can echo almost everything NC said here. Super excited about both Adams and Maye, high hopes for the LBs, and to see how the D-line performs with Mo healthy, Williams ascending, and Sheldon in a contract year. Some exciting young talent on the roster at DL as well with Thomas, Pennel, and Simon. Excited about what a deeper, younger roster can do to our return teams as well. And I think the young receiving corps as well as ASJ and Leggett have a bright future.

My hopes are very much damped by the sorry state of the Jets' offensive line. I expect the left side of the line to be decent, as long as Beachum stays healthy, but I expect the right side to be among the worst in the league. I like Shell as a future RT, but I don't think he's going to succeed right away, and I don't think putting him next to a back-up level RG in Winters is doing his development any favors. Neither Forte, at this stage, nor Powell is going to make anything happen if the line isn't creating some holes. You know there is no defense out there backing off in fear of any of the QBs on the roster today. With no running game, and nobody completely uncovered, our QBs will have to actually go through their progressions, and the O-line won't provide any time for that. Even if they did, with 3 QBs and however many WRs they end up carrying (6? 8? I think there are 14 or 15 at camp. They will almost have to carry extra with Enunwa as the only proven target.), it's very difficult to imagine any QB-WR combo is going to actually establish decent timing.

If the running game can't get going, and and the receivers can't get open quickly, we Jets fans may not get to watch much offense at all this season. And we may be watching entirely too much of an exhausted defense.

Let's hope this coaching staff puts a premium on execution and attention to detail and leaves the scheming and the complex game plans for another year.

18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Fortunately for me, the regular season is prime fishing season off the Jersey Coast so with that being said, I'll be watching fewer Jet games on Sundays but if there's a reason to watch, it will be after McClown is no longer taking snaps and the CS finally buys into the rebuild. There is zero incentive for me to watch games with McClown behind center. Since Bowles hasn't bought into the rebuild, he'll be doing everything he can to ruin any chance of drafting a potential FQB.

19. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

The trouble is, if this team far exceeds everyone's expectations and goes 8-8, we're f*cked. I hate rooting for the Jets to lose but in this case it might be what's needed....FML.

boozer32, themorey and K'OB like this.
  20. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

You think? I think it will be interesting to watch the youngsters develop up until about the first of October. At that point, I think the players will have broken spirits, and many will have broken bodies to match.

westiedog1 and boozer32 like this.