David Harris signs with Pats

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Jun 21, 2017.

1. thankyourevis

thankyourevis Active Member

Why on earth would harris take a paycut? The jets dont need the cap room this year. They arent going to sign anybody. He had a contract, the jets dont need cap relief why would he take less money then what the pats offered him? He should agree to a paycut when the team doesnt need the money, so he can go out there and put his body on the line for a team that has no intention of winning this year? Jesus sign me up.

2. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

He was the captain of our defense for the better part of the last 10 years. Maybe had 1 injury that sidelined him for a game or 2. Natural nose for the football. Probably the smartest player on the Jets defense over that time. Leading tackler multiple seasons. Easy likeable character player. Leader.

Only weakness now is in pass coverage. Which naturally comes from old age. But a seasoned mentor in the league for young players. You guys stole one of my favorite players. Sad he won't retire a Jet

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  3. sickandtired

sickandtired Member

At least he will contend for a ring. As a Jet he would retire and never get that chance

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

4. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

why is this a 7 page long post? why is it in the jets section instead of the nfl section and would anyone care more than 8 posts if it werent the patriots he was going to?

who cares, we moved on, they picked him up. end of story.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  5. sickandtired

sickandtired Member

They've had TEs.....but never in the scheme of the offense. Horrible.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

6. southsidejet

southsidejet Member

Your comparison to Lee and Davis is telling. It's always possible to outshine mediocrity.

In terms of range my take is when moving side to side he lost pace and intensity.

I'm pleased that he has an opportunity to make some more money and like many disappointed where he ended up. I don't get that a player who has spent their career with a team goes to a divisional rival. Maybe I'm unrealistic in expecting a degree of respect/loyalty to a team that embraced him for years. For a role player trying to stay in the game yes but otherwise there is a slight souring

7. ellingtonct

ellingtonct New Member

8. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

No one would blink an eye if the Pat's signed Claddy. Harris was a long time Jet so for some it stings. Truth is, he is good against the run and fills a need for the Patriots. He was out played in OTAs here and refused a pay cut.
    He wanted to leave to chase a ring. Took less for 2 years then he was offered for one.
    It's best for both sides . Hopefully he makes the roster and gets a ring. I had no negative feelings towards the Jets for releasing him, and none for him signing with NE.

The timing for the rebuild seems right. Should have happened a couple years ago but the Pat's are loading up for a final run. Brady and Bill B are closing their careers soon, the Dolphins are full of bloated contracts that are going to come due with an D that's getting old so if the Jets stay the course, they can rule the Division in a few years. It's cyclical and the timing seems to be good. Time Will tell.

Patriot likes this.
  9. TonyFtLaud

He took less for two years then the Jets offered for one to chase a ring. He was asked to restructure because he was being way overpaid for his production.

10. TonyFtLaud

I posted earlier, being a Vet doesn't make a player a leader. It takes someone who is vocal, will fire up the team, squash Petty shit in the locker room before it gets out of hand. Ignoring the fire burning all around you and quietly doing your job is not leadership.
    The crap the NY media has been spewing about the loss of leadership from Decker and Harris release is laughable. Decker was a divisive force in the locker room last year and Harris did nothing to get the team on track.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  11. thankyourevis

Profootball talk reported that the patriots offered more than the jets did. I personally wouldnt take a pay cut for the jets this year. If we were contenders than of course.

12. TonyFtLaud

I read the Jets wanted him to take $5 mill per year the Pat's gave him $5 mill over 2 years with only $1.25 guaranteed, that guarantee is tied to a second year option so he can be cut anytime with no money owed.

13. thankyourevis

Well who knows... i dont want to fight anymore. I would prefer going back to being best friends.

14. TonyFtLaud

Lol. Nothing to fight over. I'll buy you a drink!

15. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

16. DefenseWinsChampionships

Jesus. You're pretending and acting as if Woody Johnson has not already thrown the man $54 Million dollars. Just one of his contracts were worth 21.5 Million over three years with 15 Million in guaranteed.

You're acting as if David Harris has put his life and body on the line for pennies on the dollar and peanuts.

Imo you sound like a person who would accept 54 $Million from someone but yet in return refuse to give that man/friend/business partner a home town discount 10 years down the line.

Why should Woody pay for a veteran player when like you said. We're not winning it all this year. So why pay an aging past his prime player when Macc is going with an obvious youth movement? Two sides to every story.

The bottom line is Woody wanted to retain him for cheaper at this stage of his career, David refused. Was later released. And instantly ran to his "hated Rival" in order to ring chase alongside of Belichick, Brady, Gronk & N.E; as K.D did with G.S when joined forces with our "enemy".

But yes. I'm 32 damn near the same age as Harris himself. I get it. It's all business. Even Ewing was traded from N.Y to Seattle. Etc. Strictly business.

But as a fan i would not have expected one of my top 10 favorite all-time Jet players to run to Boston after 10 years & $54M of N.Y love. Is what I'm saying is that as a fan, i would have respected him 10x more if he went out & became a leader for a young contending Oakland Raiders team. But hey. He selected the G.S Warriors, 96 Bulls and/or the Dallas Cowboys of the 90's to try and "win himself a ring". "Stick it to the Franchise".

To each our own. Good Luck to the newest N.E Patriot. Hopefully he doesn't break down physically and become exposed. Hope he wins a SB and shows Mr.Woody who's boss. You don't cross Mr. Hitman. He'll go out & destroy his former team with their rival who's already embarrassed us since early 2000's.

Cool story. Laughable actually.

#136 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  17. DefenseWinsChampionships

David Harris really "showed us".

Don't mess with the "big bad wolf"; he'll instantly switch up & switch sides on you.

I've seen this lowkey creeper like snake in the grass story before. I know how the ending goes and I'm not all that impressed.

"Jealousy and every will have your friends stab you in the back with a steak knife"

But me?

"I'll rather cut my own lips off before i turn on my own dog".

Loyality over Royality. I'd be loyal for way less than $54 Million over 10 years too. I woulda rather joined a different team.

If my wife were to ever leave me? I could never go after the lady from her job who she hates. Out of my love for her I'd try an meet a woman she's never met before before ever using another woman as a weapon against her.

But hey. We're all made from a different breed and cut from a different cloth. But there are two sides to every story and i guess we're on different levels and seeing different sides to this story. Go Jets.

18. Ohnoit'sGeno

Ohnoit'sGeno Active Member

Please explain where David Harris fills a need for the Patriots. Unless you see Patriots playing a 3-4 defense, I don't see where he fits in. What lb do you see the Patriots sitting for David Harris?

Okay David Harris is the Middle Lb , Don'ta Hightower is the Sslb , and Shea McClellin / R Ninkovich is the Wlb? That might be okay against the run, but could get exposed bigtime against the Pass.

#138 Ohnoit'sGeno, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

You're so right.....even when Geno got his jaw busted by a guy Harris played next to, Harris never stepped in and squashed it before it got out of hand. Like you say, Harris was never a natural leader. Just a player who wanted to play and get paid, then go home to his wife and kids. Which is a shame. Home grown talent that's been on the team over 10 years, you expect a bit of leadership from. Was Mangold any better? I really don't know, we may never know until someone writes a book.

LAJet likes this.
  20. chris66

chris66 Member

Put Harris at mlb allows Hightower to play De. Pats needed depth at lb.