The Official Golf Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by FazeOne17, Jun 20, 2017.

1. FazeOne17

FazeOne17 Active Member

I know we have to have some Golfers on this site. If not, its never too late to pick up a club. Going to buy a new set of Irons today, looking hard at Callaway Steelhead XR Pros, and Taylormade M1's. I can only speak for NY/LI courses for this current season, but Marine Park is in great shape at the moment, as is Lido Beach. Dyker is okay, but I never really like Dyker to begin with, so Im a little biased.

Bethpage is always in phenomenal shape, and they changed reservations for NON - N.Y. residents from 2 days to 5 days, so much better shot for non residents to get a good tee time.

Also Marine Park has great midweek specials for 30$ including cart.

Playing Wind Watch next week, which has one of the best practice facilities Ive ever seen at a public course. Will post on condition.

2. John Lombardo

John Lombardo Active Member

Great thread! Just picked up golf this year, love playing.

I've been trying to refine my driver swing, as it's a mess. I hit it most of the time with a huge slice so it only goes about 200 yards... straight about 225-250.

#2 John Lombardo, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  3. FazeOne17

FazeOne17 Active Member

Check out Rick Shiels on Youtube. He has some great simple advice, and has great reviews on clubs. Since your new to the game, its really important not to develop bad habits, and self correction. Obviously Ive never seen you swing, but chances are you are overcompensating with your arms, and not using your hips and body to generate your swing arc and power.

Watch his lessons, and then practice, practice, practice!

His Pitch Perfect technique is a lot of help for 100 yards and under too. Highly recommend.

4. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I'm an avid golfer - play to a 5 handicap. Live out west, so I'm no help with courses.

I highly recommend getting fitted for clubs before you buy. Places like Golf Galaxy will charge you about $50-75 and then apply it to cost of new club(s). They can really dial in the clubs, shaft, lie, etc to match your swing. It makes a big difference.

Ditch the 2-4 irons for hybrids (the secret to hitting hybrids is to hit down on the ball like an iron).

A slice is likely caused by a failure to make a good turn in the backswing - instead, you are swaying. Picture an imaginary steel rod going down from your right ear, through your right hip, to your right heel. When you swing, you should be coiling/rotating your body AROUND that steel rod (axis) and not swaying ACROSS it. That is a proper turn. Shorten your backswing (think 75% of max) and focus on solid contact with the back of the ball. Do that and you should hit it straighter, just as long, and with more consistency.

Work on your short game - it's the easiest way to shave strokes off your score.

5. John Lombardo

Thanks for the tips!

I have been using a slower backswing and more side to side that straight up and down, also moved my footing so the ball is parallel to the in side of my lead foot and I am starting to see better results.

I think my driver foot work is poor if I don't pay attention. Sometimes my feet aren't parallel (my lead foot it is a few inches further from the ball, almost like I'm aiming to the left ) and that kills the swing it seems.

I have hybrids... sometimes I can hit it about 175 other times it rolls 30 yards :), I will have in mind to hit it more like irons though as I used more of a driver swing.

My irons (minus wedge) came a little more naturally to me, so I'm focusing on the driver/wedge/putter development more... I think I hit my wedge good maybe 2 out of every 10 times

Jetaho likes this.
  6. FazeOne17

FazeOne17 Active Member

Definitely watch that Pitch Perfect tutorial. I guarantee that it will improve your Wedge/Pitching game dramatically. Like a HUGE improvement.

John Lombardo and Jetaho like this.
  7. FazeOne17

FazeOne17 Active Member

Nice! I was about a 8 handicap until I broke my wrist. Had to take 2 seasons off, so now that Im fully back, Im playing to more of a 12 handicap, but feel myself getting back in the groove. Need to work on my flexibility to get that rotation back to where it was.

If you have a PGA Superstore near you, they actually do fittings for free and then give recommendations. It helps if you have it done by someone who knows what they are doing though, no matter where you go for the fitting.

Jetaho likes this.
  8. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Yeah, an open stance is an invitation to slice and be caureful of that "side to side" becoming a sway - you want to TURN. Set a club or alignment stick ($10) down on the ground when you practice to make sure you are properly aligned until it gets ingrained in your head. There's no excuse for bad alignment as it has nothing to do with the swing and is fully something you control pre-swing.

As for wedges, be really specific in picking a target, shorten your backswing and swing easy and relaxed (think 75%), focusing on hitting the back of the ball solid (staring at the back of the ball throughout the swing with keep your head still). Do not try to lift the ball - it's a downward strike. Practice that and then you can start dialing in your yardages.

The best way to practice your wedge play is to find an open field and buy a small practice mat to simulate fairway (Callaway makes a good one for about $35), lay out some "targets" - I use old laundry soap buckets, walk off yardages (knowing how far you hit each club is critical), and then hit about 25 balls to each of the buckets. Don't hit more than 100 balls as your focus and back will fade. Once you make consistent contact, then you will develop a feel for distances in your swing. I listen to music when I practice after work and find it to be one of the more relaxing parts of my week - even more so than playing (one of my golfing buddies never shuts up :)).

John Lombardo likes this.
  9. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Coming back from injuries is brutal. I had a meniscus repaired a white back and it totally messed with my swing. Only thing worse is getting older! Great info on PGA Superstore - I'll have to head there when its time to buy new set of irons, as that is the next thing to change out in my bag.

10. John Lombardo

Handicap means you add those strokes to the courses shot total for par right?

Example: If you are an 8 handicap and you play at a course that par for 18 is 70, if you include your "handicap" par for the course is 78.

11. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

i had a pretty bad slice as well until i fixed my grip. it was too weak (turned left)

Jetaho likes this.
  12. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Pretty much, although when they calculate it, it's heavily weighted towards your best rounds. So for me as a 5 handicap, I only finish +5 or better about 25% of the time.

13. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Same here! When I was in my 20s, I used to hit a low fade/slice on every shot until I played with a guy who told me to point my thumbs straight down the shaft. After some practice (it felt really weird), I picked up 2 clubs in distance and hit it a lot straighter.

14. John Lombardo

Before I started, I read about proper grip, and I do point my thumbs down the shaft and I feel good about how hard I grip the club.

Going to hit the range and focus on foot placement and swinging my hips through consistently.

15. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

16. FazeOne17

FazeOne17 Active Member

Try interlocking your pinky on your forward hand and pointer figure on back hand. It forces your hands to work as one unit. Feels a little weird at first but should help your swing.

17. FazeOne17

FazeOne17 Active Member

So I went to PGA store and tried out Callaway steelhead pros, Taylormade M1/M2, Ping i200's and Ping G's because ive heard amazing reviews from scratch golfers to high handicappers.

All the clubs were very good. My least favorite were the M1 and M2s...they hit well, but the sound was awful. Like hitting a rock with a metal bat.

In a shocking twist, I actually went the Ping G's. Definitely more of a game improvment iron, cast not forged, but I thought it had more feel than the steelhead pros or the M1s without sacrificing any forgivness. I even made sure to hit a few off the toe and heel, and was shocked at results. They are weighted so that your 4 iron is a lot lighter that normal, and PW is heavier than normal. This helps maintain club speed and consistency. No SW or GW in the set which is a bummer, but the set 4i-PW was only 600$ which is very affordable.

The i200s are a very nice club too, but didnt feel much of a difference between them and the G's, except they are 300$ more expensive.

I also tried the Cobra F7 1 length, in which every iron/wedge (4i-GW) is the same length as a 7 iron. Not for me, but if you are new to the game and you hit your 7 iron the best, you will love these.

To me, the 5 iron felt like a Jr club, and the Gap Wedge felt like a fishing rod.

#17 FazeOne17, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  18. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

19. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone had tried Five Iron Golf in Manhattan.

Son wanted to hit up a Topgolf but closest one is in Edison NJ. Just curious how this place compares.

20. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member