Petty - Ready to start throwing again!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, May 14, 2017.

1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Yeah, the ship was already burning when he finally got to steer. Despite this he had moments and looked better than Fitz (which doesn't say much). He definitely deserves to play out his rookie deal at least.

2. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

I don't know what to really make out of Sanchez, the whole Favre fiasco really forced the issue and had him starting out of the box with the bubble wrap still on. I think up until 2012 they gave him enough, he had an above average offensive line, great running game, solid young veteran WR's and solid TE's .. then in 2012 the Circus came to town.

10 of 13 Draft Picks from 2009 to 2011
    were Offensive Players.

Below is what Sancheez was working with:

Jerricho Cotchery
    Braylon Edwards
    Dustin Keller
    Leon Washington
    Thomas Jones
    Shonn Green

Offseason:
    Braylon Edwards EDIT- October trade.

Jerricho Cotchery
    Braylon Edwards
    Santonio Holmes
    Brad Smith
    Dustin Keller
    LaDanian Tomlinson
    Shonn Greene
    Joe McKnight

Offseason:
    Santonio Holmes
    Ladanian Tomlinson

Jeremy Kerley
    Santonio Holmes
    Plaxico Burress
    Dustin Keller
    Derrick Mason
    LaDanian Tomlinson
    Shon Greene
    Bilal Powell

Offseason:
    Plaxico Burress
    Derrick Mason

2012 THE TEBOW YEAR - Nuff Said.

#62 Pags2112, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

When was the first leap?

4. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I agree no idea what he will be

My only short term disappointment was mainly indecision and accuracy

Both of which are highly correctable with time and practice

Hope he does well

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

....and Petty was playing without the benefit of yellow-green-red wrist bands!

6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

When he survived the Suh/Wake sandwich.. Most Qb's don't survive that hit.

7. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I was surprised he didn't go up and kick an offensive lineman in the balls when he got to the sideline.

ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.
  8. Cman68

Should have grabbed their helmet and beat them with it.

9. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Petty is still pretty much an unknown. I think he's a good competitor, good head on his shoulders. Looked damn good in preseason before the injury. How much stock should we put in that? eh, not all that much. Brett Ratiff looked great in preseason too. As did Browning Nagle (who names their kid "Browning" anyway?)

From what I've seen thus far...slightly above average arm. Stares down receivers at times. Bit of a risk taker. Not a quick release but not slow either. One thing that he does do well is throw a catchable ball. He actually puts very good touch on the football. Also he tends to throw pretty well when off balance and being chased...though he's not terribly mobile.

Probably a good career backup unless he works very hard

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Year 1 looked lost in Preseason. Year 2 he looked much better. Hopefully he continues this year.

11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Tony Dungy here says the ball was snapped early, but I don't know if I should believe that. Obviously Petty gave the snap signal, so the center snapped it. Either only Petty and Wesley Johnson snapped early, or the entire offensive linemen fucked it up beyond redemption.

By looking at the reaction of the WRs and RB running flare, I'd bet it was the OL fucking it up.

If that happened to me, I'd go full Steve Young on the OL, grabbing them at the facemask and yelling at the face.

P.S. Looks like indeed the ball was snapped early. WRs look unprepared too except Robby Anderson. Maybe it was Petty [and Johnson for that matter. He should have alerted the OL too.] Probably this is another example of the scout team thing - Petty didn't have sufficient snaps with the first team until deep into the season, so this kind of miscommunication is to be expected.

12. Cman68

You can tell by the concern the OLine showed that they couldn't really give two fucks about what had just happened.

13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Maybe they don't like the guy. I've heard that about other qbs and how it effects the way the team plays.

14. Cman68

They get paid to do a job, not like somebody. If that wasn't a mistake, then they all should have been released immediately after the game. They were pretty much worthless anyway so it would have been hard to prove that they did it on purpose a la "longest yard", or they were simply incapable of playing at a professional level.

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Yea,I'm with you, just seemed like leadership and respect are supposed to be qualities needed at qb and the line didn't have enough respect to even look concerned. Based on the video evidence anyway. Seems like that should raise more eyebrows than it has. No?

16. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Yep. And that level of apathy and indifference on the field is not only alarming it's also pretty damn dangerous. For this to happen on Bowles watch is a huge indictment on him. I have no idea how he kept his job with the kind of meltdown we saw last season. This was the closest I've seen to Kotite level ineptness

Cman68 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

He was half dead at that point and he's not Steve Young. And considering those guys up front have no pride whatsoever based on their reaction after watching Petty suffer I wouldn't really fuck with them, odds are they'd let guys get through to Petty that next snap and get him killed again.

Cman68 likes this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Somewhat misleading. Of those 10 picks, only 4 were earlier than the 5th round, hardly stacking the "O". And frankly, even than I questioned all but the Sanchez pick. And as you pointed out, had Sanchez not seen the talent around him that allowed him to take them to two AFC CGs, he might still be QB, and they might even had won a SB, so I don't think the Sanchez pick was a bad one, even now.

But here's the problem I have with the Jets - Offense always seems to be an afterthought, and when they finally DO wake up and try to get a premium guy, it's like their evaluation brain cells have atrophied from lack of use.You can't build an offense relying on 4th round and later picks and expect to have a championship level attack. They really need to get somebody in place that understands that offense is what the modern NFL is all about.

Pags2112 likes this.
  19. Cman68

I'm with ya FJF. Not sure what the issue was but Bowles should have been looking at that a lot more closely than he did. Then again, if leadership doesn't give a shit, why should the players...
    Now if that kinda nonchalance happens again at anytime for any reason, Bowles needs to show some leadership and if he doesn't, Morton needs to. If neither does, then this team is fucked from the top.

I do have a theory on this. Since Petty was just another low round DP, his value to the team was less than say, Fitz so the Oline reacted that way. That is, they played harder for the 6mil dollar man than they did for the 4th round DP. If Petty makes anything out of this TC/ OTA, it will be a miracle as the odds, the reps and the politics are against him.

Carrying that forward, they might play harder for the 6mil dollar mentor than for Petty. They may show Hack a bit more respect as he is a 2nd rd. pick and the GM's choice.

#79 Cman68, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
  20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I looked at the entire play again. This is what I came away with.

1. Petty saw something from the outside. Looks like Robby is matched up against a midget CB, and the coverage is bump-and-run. SS is crashing the box hard, which means it's a single high safety coverage up top.
    2. So Petty speeds up the play.
    3. The problem is, only three are paying attention to the snap.
    4. Don't just take my words for it. Look at Robby Anderson immediately after the snap. He starts moving, but then stutters, noticing the ENTIRE OFFENSE [except, you know, Johnson and Petty] is sitting still. It's highly likely that Anderson thought he was making mistake. [He wasn't.] As expected, that midget was in the bump-and-run, so if Anderson bumped then went full speed up top, that's a TD play.
    5. So Petty's read was a very good one. Just, the entire offense [except Wesley and Robby] wasn't paying attention at all.
    6. So Petty almost got halved. It's a good thing that the ball wasn't picked off. If Robby did not hesitate at that moment, it's a pick 6 written all over it. [Good thing he messed up a bit - thanks to the entire offense fucking it up.]

Cman68 likes this.