As a fan i have a completely different outlook on the 2017 season.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, May 12, 2017.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

I now understand the mindset of Jet fans wanting to see Sam under center, in green & white; as our potential Franchise QB of the future. Kid looks to have tremendous talent. The type of kid you can truly attempt to build a team around. Or so it currently appears as such.

I can (and will) no longer longer criticize or question longtime fans who wouldn't mind losing here in 2017, in order to dream of a greater future with a real Franchise QB leading the way. As i get older and watch my daughter grow; I'm starting to see the bigger picture as a fan and as a poster.

With the potential this defense could have along with these younger receivers on our roster etc I'd love to have an Andrew Luck type of prospect/QB under Center. Who wouldn't. Even down in TB these fans have hope with a young Winston out of FSU as their new face of the franchise. Face it. A blue chip QB prospect out of the draft is an exciting thought.

When being realistic Joe Namath was the last franchise quarterback in which this longtime suffering fan base has witnessed. It's been a longtime coming to say the least. A lot of what if's in between but what if Penny never suffered multiple injuries that required shoulder surgery on his throwing arm? That kid was a genius upstairs and as accurate as they came. What if.

I'm 31 turning 32 years of age. Feels like I've posted on these forums for around 15 years. I've been a homer at heart. I'm guilty of that. Now. I just wanna be a football fan and go with the flow. I'm tired of trying to be right and/or convince others regarding the ways we all see the game.

With that said I'm still a firm believe that it takes a team to compete. Especially in Football. I just wanna see these kids do good. I can't help it.

I want Mo Wilk to play like the real 96 this year.

I want Richardson to play pissed off.

I want Williams to continue his development into an absolute animal of a cornerstone defender.

I wanna see Lee take the next step as a 2nd year MLB and flourish behind a talented defensive front.

I wanna see Adams flashing signs of greatness while roaming the backfield as a young Sean Taylor once did. I wanna see this kid re-vamp the culture of this secondary and hopefully Maye can follow suit.

I wanna see our young receivers flash with Hackenberg. I wanna see what this 2nd year kid with a high I.Q along with a cannon for an arm has inside of him. I haven't seen it yet but I'd like to see how he looks with younger receivers in Quincy, Robby, the kid Stewart out of Alabama etc all running routes on the field with him. Or what a veteran presence in Decker can do for a young kid QB in Hackenberg.

I can't quit on Hackenberg before I've first seen him in action. I just can't do it. He was impressive as a Freshman @ PSU with Robinson as his #1 while O'Brian ran him through the QB ringer. I'd love to see what he has right here and right now come 2017. If he flashes. Great. We could have a young arm to build around with a head up stairs. If not. If he flops like a fish. Chances are we'll be in the runnings for a top 3 draft pick with a lot more salary cap heading into the offseason.

In closing my outlook for 2017 is just different. No more bold claims. No more predictions. No more going back and fourth with fans who've lost hope and can only re-gain hope with a top 3 draft pick in order to secure a highly covered blue chip qb prospect. No more talking up players on paper etc. I just wanna see what these kids can do on the field and then re-evaluate come the offseason.

If we shock the world as a playoff contender, that'll be fun. If not. Hey. Maybe we'll suck enough to excite this fan base with a QB hopeful.

Fantasy football. Parlay tickets. BBQ Sundays. Pickem leagues. Football just can't return soon enough. Face it. We're longtime suffering fans. I've accepted it. Might as well have fun & embrace it.

2. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Na.. Maybe it's just me but it doesn't feel the same anymore. Not just the Jets, football in general. No parity in the AFC at all tired of watching Pats, Steelers, Broncos every year and Goddell's chasing every penny while the game on the field suffers. Doesn't feel like I'm watching the same game from even 5 years ago.

Don't get me wrong come August I'll be hyped just to see some preseason games but by October it'll be gone.

But I'll still watch because I have a sickness. Same sickness we all got. Guess some just have it worse than others.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Great post! I wish every Jets fan could think and feel the same. IMO it's the only hope for a SB in the near future.

4. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Really great post. It's true in all aspects and fortunately that's what appears the jets will be attempting this year. The only true mystery is the QB. I really hope they give Hackenberg every opportunity to succeed or fail to know the direction they need to go in 2018. I would like to see him succeed it would make '17 much more fun to watch even if we end up with a worse win/loss record than even last year. I hope to see chemistry built within the offence and defence and strides taken among the rookies and youth.

5. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

I agree with both Defence and Jedi. As a Jets fan, Defence summed up my opinion perfectly. Just grabbed my tickets for week one with my Bills fan father (#footballisfamily) and i can practically smell the charcoil in the parking lot. We have so much young talent and huge ? in Hack at QB, if he has developed behind the scenes this coul be a more decent year then any of us are giving it credit. i remain cautiously optimistic but god dam do i love football season.

As for Jedi, i also have had that feeling the last couple years. The league needs a shake up and i think ousting GODell would do the trick. It doesn't quite "feel the same." But i say again god dam i love football.

6. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I also think this year could feel like a winning season without the wins. If Hack shows he can be our guy and takes the team on his back and shocks us how great will that be. Maybe Adams and Maye team up and really give us a presence in the backfield. Maybe Lee takes the next step with Jenkins. Our receivers gain confidence and development with our QB and our OL gels and is solid.

Wow alot of maybes....alot, but with that said it's not impossible.

That I would take with a 3-13 record way before a 9-7 with questions still at QB and other positions.

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I get it what Defense is saying...looking for brights spots amidst the projected losses Nothing wrong with that

But the Jets at a Crossroads here ,,Suck for Sam or keep playing tiddlelywinks on Defense for ever

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Defence captures the desire of every Jets fan, which is why it's so damn frustrating to have that dream smashed every year. I swear I feel like Charly Brown believing that Lucy isn't going to pull the ball away this time. For me, I don't have too many more seasons to tolerate any more false promises. They'd better get it right now.

9. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Same as it ever was...same as it ever was...
    [​IMG]

10. Don't forget our collection of high end talent at DL actually performing to potential. The "big 3" all have different reasons to be motivated or at the top of their game. They set the tone on D...and if they dominate all the young talent could settle down in the back 7 & allow Bowles to Tee off on his exotic blitzes. We could have a high flying big play type of D that can also shut down a any running attack.

nicg4360 likes this.
  11. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

What if Hack ends up being legit? That's the third option here you don't mention. I'm as sketical as anyone but it is a possibility.

12. DefenseWinsChampionships

I will say this. I am excited to see our makeover at the Safety position with the draftings of Adams & Maye.

I'm an FSU/ACC fan but Adams & Maye were the top two SEC Safety's heading into the draft (with Adams being the #1 safety within the entire draft).

What if our GM just landed us two beast Safety's out of LSU & Florida? They'll be hiccups & mistakes due to being rookies but what if this SEC duo completely changes the culture of our defensive backfield?

What makes this duo exciting to me, is that both Adams & Maye were almost teammates down in Florida. Up until Adams selected LSU over UF. These two kids have wanted to play on the same team as one another for a while now. So it's just intriguing to me.

With that said. I can't lie. I wanted #4 Dalvin Cook out of FSU. Watched every FSU game. Never missed a single snap of Cook. By far the most electric & explosive FSU player that I've ever seen dating back to #28 Warrick Dunn. I won't sit here and lie. I was furious when N.Y drafted Maye over Cook during the 2nd round. Cook was top 10 talent. It hurt me to see Minnesota steal Cook right after us. I wanted that kid coming out of the backfield in Green & White for years to come.

In closing Maye will have big shoes to fill. If Cook starts to impact for Minny's offense well then Maye better live up to expectation and go all out beast mode opposite of Adams. If not I'll be upset with the pick for many of years to come. I hope I'm wrong and Cook flops because i really wanted him come the 2nd round.

egelband likes this.
  13. NYJetsO12

As possible as a snowballs chance in hell

lol

14. DefenseWinsChampionships

Exactly. That's why with my original post i stated how i wanna see Wilkerson play like the real 96 again. Last year he played like trash after receiving his payday. I wanna see Richardson play pissed off and i cant help but wanna see Williams continue his development into an absolute animal of a cornerstone defender.

To me the heart and soul of this team is our defensive line. Wilkerson, Richardson & Williams. These 3 catch fire and the team could then catch lightning in a bottle. Wishful thinking but i just wanna see this D-Line set the tone & tempo for other's to follow.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  15. NYJetsO12

I hope they bring their oxygen masks because they will be the main performance almost all our games

westiedog1 likes this.
  16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Bucs went 2-14 in 2014 with Josh McCown at QB and a bunch of good young defensive players, including Gerald McCoy, Lavonte David, Johnthan Banks and Alterraun Verner. That got them Jameis Winston and a shot at being a good team moving forward. I'm hoping the Jets can pull off a similar result in 2017. We have to find the QB and those guys are very hard to find unless you have a top pick.

Even if somebody like Kirk Cousins becomes available he will cost a huge price in draft picks and cap space moving forward and both will hinder the Jets shot at getting to and winning a Super Bowl.

Adding Brett Favre in 2008 didn't put us over the top. Trading picks for a top QB isn't the answer because you need a lot more than the QB to win. He's a necessary piece but he's an add-on to a lot of other necessary pieces as well. This is why the Saints have managed to go 7-9 4 out of the last 5 years with Drew Brees at QB. It's why the Chargers cannot win with Philip Rivers at QB. It's why the Cowboys went 8-8 over and over again with Tony Romo at QB.

You have to find your QB naturally or else the price is likely to be too high to win much with him and the cap is likely to be constrained.

Why have the Ravens declined since their Super Bowl win? Because Joe Flacco is not worth $20M+ a year on the cap but they had to pay him like that anyway. The correct choice was to let him go in free agency and get a few picks back but once you've won a Super Bowl you put everything you have into getting the next ring even if your efforts are very likely to fail as the Ravens have.

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Favre didn't put us over the top because he tore his bicep. Who knows what happens if he stays healthy.

18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

or if we didn't have some of the shittiest game planning & play calling in the history of the NFL that season either.........

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

At 38 he was fairly likely to get injured. We added him like he was a guaranteed piece but in fact he was just a chance at getting over the top.

If Romo unretired and came back next year he'd give us the same chance, which is to say not great but possible.

You need to find your QB naturally and then dodge the bullets from there.

egelband and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Like Peyton naturally going to the broncos? The preferred method is obviously to get one in the draft but it's not the only method. If you are hitting on draft picks you can force the issue on a qb to put you over the top.2008 was a perfect time for Tanny to take his shot. Favre wasn't done and had been an iron man it was the safer bet than sticking with Chad,even though it was an even number year.
    Going forward, if this team ends up looking like it's a qb away,line jels,d looks good,young WRs look for real, I wouldn't mind mac going all in on cousins. Safer then anyone in the draft everyone is so enamored with. Its qb or bust league now,get yours by any means necessary

stinkyB likes this.