2018 QB's

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, May 1, 2017.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That URL shortened is going to get somebody banned, :).

And yeah, I've never heard of those things referred to in that way.

almbleamal likes this.
  2. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

Br4d, I have probably seen every game Mahomes played at TT. First the offense that Kingsbury runs is not a true air raid system. A lot of what they did last year was necessitated by injuries, graduation, and the worst D in Division 1. When he had a good RB and OL in 2015 DeAndre Washington (Oakland Raiders) ran for 1492 yards. About 50 percent of their game was on the ground.

The OL lost 3 probable starters to career ending injuries and two to graduation. They were very inexperienced and it showed as on most plays Mahomes was throwing on the run as he ran for his life. When he has time to throw his mechanics improve.

He does need some time to work from under center and on his drops but from pro day workouts it looks like he is almost there with that. The Discipline issue is misleading also. He had to score every time on the field for TT to win. Their D was Horrendous. He tried to force things to keep them in games. Every team they played could focus on Mahomes and not worry about a running game because they were behind and because of a young and inexperienced OL.

He also needs to work on ball safety. When he does move in pocket the ball is out there.

3. Br4d

Just pointing out that the most similar recent prospect to Mahomes is probably Geno Smith. Everything you said up above aplied in some way to Geno as well, minus the specific injuries.

He was an undisciplined QB playing in an Air Raid who carried the ball like a loaf of bread and who needed to score on every drive because WVU's defense was similarly weak. Geno's biggest game for WVU was in a 70-63 win over Baylor.

4. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

One big difference was that WVU had a running game and opposing teams had to respect that (21 rushing TDs}. He also had Steadman Bailey , Tavon Austin, and Buie.. Name one TT receiver of note that Mahomes had? Geno also had a pretty good OL.

I think Geno had the arm talent to win but his problem was between his ears.

All that said Mahomes does have to tuck that loaf in, lol.

5. JetsfanHBca

JetsfanHBca Active Member

It was a Joke. I see him as a WR in the NFL. B esides Darnold & Rosen I like Mason Rudolph. Has some real promise

6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

The only thing they share in common was that they played in a similar offense and had to score a lot of points for their collegiate teams to win. That comparison can be made with a lot of college QBs especially those in the Big 12. Physically and from a talent standpoint they are nothing alike. As a prospect Mahomes draws comparisons closer to Stafford and Favre, the latter especially; hence why Favre former QB coach traded up to get Mahomes. No one ever compared Geno to those type of guys with rare exceptional arm talent.

ajax and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. JetsfanHBca

JetsfanHBca Active Member

Mahomes kinda reminds me of McNair.

8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

No hes a MCNabb, thats why Andy Reid took him

Kid should be thanking his lucky stars he went to place where the Coach knows what hes doing

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I truly don't get your man crush on Kizer. I think he's awful. I wouldn't have taken him as a UDFA.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I like how he moves in the pocket and has a strong arm. He has some tools, I think Hue Jackson will be able to develop him, we shall see.

11. NCJetsfan

We'll see, but imo that's not enough. IMO he's very similar to Geno. He has better size than Geno, but Geno was mobile, could gain yardage with his feet and had a strong arm. I think the area where both fail are the mental aspects, the decision making/reading Ds, and accuracy,

12. 101GangGreen101

I think Kizer can make reads better then Geno, but has made some suspect decisions and he loves to throw off his back foot which led to some interceptions / inaccuracy.

13. NCJetsfan

You may be right about Kizer's reads, but I think the two are otherwise similar enough, that I have little or no confidence that Kizer will amount to anything in the NFL.

14. legler82

@101GangGreen101 has a hard on for anyone who's taken snaps from center.

15. 101GangGreen101

Just another component of the pro style offense. BTW, I am starting to think you have a (pause) hard-on for me because you always mention things I say.

16. legler82

What's not to love?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. 101GangGreen101

Absolutely nothing. After all, I am just a mere mortal. One that posts a lot on a forum :(

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I see absolutely no comparison - as far as physical ability - between Geno and Mahomes. Mahomes was way more effective than Geno with his improvisations because he has a lot more ability.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Geno's pocket awareness was his downfall, Kizer is much stronger in that regard

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  20. Br4d

Geno took some really hard hits his first half dozen starts and that's when the pocket awareness became hearing footsteps.

I remember the Bucs saying some really nice things about Geno after the Jets beat them. They'd really pounded Geno in the pocket that day and he still completed some pretty passes through the beating. They were impressed by his toughness.

That lasted a few more starts and then the facade crumbled.

NYJetsO12 likes this.