Pat Mahomes

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Jan 4, 2017.

1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I disagree. You can make the pick and not start him right away. I'd feel differently if the Jets would be competitive this year but they won't be. Now's the time for pragmatism rather than heroic last stands. Jets need to break the cycle with their QB decisions.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

So we draft Mahomes and we redshirt him like we did Hack last year.

McCown and Hack get us 3-13 and a top 3 pick in the draft next year and there are a couple of QB's everybody really likes sitting there at the top of the draft.

What do we do?

We still don't know if Mahomes can play at a high level in the NFL.

We know Hack is not the answer.

Do we make whatever moves we have to make to get one of the QB's?

Do we make a big move to get the #1 pick, which will be the guy we really like of the two?

We'll be stuck in no man's land with a prime pick, especially if there is a franchise LT also in the mix.

That's why I don't think the Jets can draft a QB this year and sit him. I think it leaves us too vulnerable in the 2018 draft when it is more likely that real QB's are on the board. I think if the Jets take a QB they have to plan to play him right away and if that is not possible at least we know going into 2018 that a 1st round QB is still very much on the top of our big board.

almbleamal and Catfish Billy like this.
  3. xxedge72x

This will probably be unpopular, but I'd take the QB fully expecting to still be in the QB market next year. Teams that have elite QBs win and win often. I wouldn't disagree with the Jets being relentless in trying to find that QB even if it takes a while. Realistically the Jets have the length of each QBs entire rookie contract to evaluate each one. The cream will rise.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

FJF likes this.
  4. thedrjay

thedrjay Active Member

That was same line of thinking I had. Everyone has a raging hard on for Mahomes and ye they still want to tank the season to get Darnold or Rosen with a top pick in next year's draft. The better question would be how does Mahomes compare to both of next year's top QB's and what would the preference be.

Personally, I see another season reminiscent of last year from Darnold, and I'll take him over everyone available in this draft.

5. xxedge72x

Last year everyone thought Watson was a lock to be the first overall pick in this draft. Darnold and the others look great now but there is an entire season of football ahead to completely smash those notions against a rock. Some will fall, others will rise. You can only act on what is currently in front of you, and right now, that is Patrick Mahomes.

TonyFtLaud and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Of course the first order of business is for the Jets to decide if Mahomes, or anyone else this year can be their FQB. If not, then exit the decision tree.

If they do, then they should take him, and give him the chance to win the job, and if not ready right away, see if he can play later on in the season. If that happens then they know Hackenberg isn't their guy, so they get rid of him in the off season, or keep him as a backup.

As to next year's draft, even with all the holes and question marks and Bowles coaching and the tough schedule, I don't see the Jets getting the #1 pick outright, so how do they get Darnold if he actually lives up to his hype? If Darnold is really that good, the team holding the #1 pick is likely to take him, or they're going to demand a king's ransom for the pick, which for the Jets who will still be in rebuilding mode really won't be able to afford. If the Jets decide that Darnold is they guy they want, they're going to have to do a full-on tank to ensure they lose every game to get that #1 pick. I don't see that happening.

So it boils down to if the Jets think anyone this year can be their guy, and by that I mean he can reasonably be expected to compete and quite possibly win the starting job this year, and if so they need to take him.

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

My simple minded decision tree for a QB on the 2017 draft:
    1- Do we have confidence and enough evidence that Petty and or Hack can be our FQB. Or at least better than the 2017 draft class? If NO then
    2- Which candidates in 2017 have sufficient intangibles and evidence that could become our FQB? Or at least potentially play at a higher level than either Petty or Hack immidiately. If YES then
    3- How much is the pick really worth draft round wise? First? Second? Third?
    4- Go for It, or exit the decision tree before the draft even starts. We need immidiate contributors across the board now.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Did anyone see the Mahomes throw off with David Carr? He airmailed 2 out of 4 throws from 20 yards away. David Carr looked better.

9. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Let me find out Steve Young sat all those years because of major mechanic fixes and not because he was stuck behind one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time. Who knew!

FJF likes this.
  10. legler82

I hope this is a joke. He was trying to throw the ball as hard as he could to get the high # on the gun. That had nothing to do with accuracy.

xxedge72x likes this.
  11. Martin&theJETS

You're right. He purposely air mailed it. Mahomes wasn't even trying to throw the ball on target. His whole purpose was to throw it in the stands. Idk why the fuck Evans was standing there. Entirely pointless, right?

I guess Carr didn't get the message. He thought the purpose was to throw the fastest, most controlled ball you can. He was entirely off base. Carr should have just zinged it to the sky to beat Mahomes.

#411 Martin&theJETS, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  12. legler82

The whole purpose of the exercise was to test how hard/fast they can the throw football, hence the radar gun. Dan Hellie even said at the end "all that matters is what is on the radar gun". Mahomes was trying hard to break 60 m/h which he did but air mailed it. In a game no one will be standing behind him with a radar gun and the opposing QB's m/h will not be on the score board.

The hate is strong with this one.

#412 legler82, Apr 21, 2017
  13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

So you're saying we should sign David Carr?

legler82 likes this.
  14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I would be perfectly fine with the idea of drafting a qb and redshirting him. I'm hoping it becomes a widespread practice. Fewer and fewer qbs are coming to the league ready to play, why make it harder by rushing them? You have 5 years on a rookie deal to decide if a qb is going to be worth keeping. Why do we insist on having to find out 4 months after the draft?
    So, if mac pulls the trigger on watson/mahones/trubs and decides they will sit a year i will applaud that move. Thats a move with long term health in mind.

15. Martin&theJETS

Nope, I'm saying it's a bit concerning Carr looked better (in a shirt and tie) lol.

#415 Martin&theJETS, Apr 21, 2017
  16. Martin&theJETS

I'm not hating. What's Dan gonna say? "Gee Mahomes, we didn't expect you to air mail the throws. The exercise we set up to showcase your talents went south because you can't hit the receiver standing 15 yards away, you kind of disqualified yourself. So... David Carr wins." Were you impressed with that segment? Were you happy/expecting him to air mail his throws before it happened?

#416 Martin&theJETS, Apr 21, 2017
  17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Ok, so then next year we're sitting on the #1 pick and the two choices are Sam Darnold, looking like all he is cracked up to be - the best QB prospect since Cam Newton and arguably Andrew Luck, and there is also a clear franchise LT sitting there for us.

What do you do?

Do you double down on Mr. Redshirt by taking the LT or do you pick Darnold and take a QB for the 4th year in a row and with the #1 pick overall?

There's a reason all the QB's in this class have questions about them. It's just like 2014 although the talent level is a bit lower. Taking a QB this year *will* tie the Jets hands more than they ought to be next year. The window we might open up will be weaker when it opens if we keep spending high picks on QB's.

The comparison would be the early 60's Rams who took QB's #1 3 years running and never won a championship. They were bad for several years after the run of picks and then they were good but not quite good enough after that. The first guy they took, Roman Gabriel, was the guy in the end but they spent two more 1sts hunting QB's before they were sure. Even if the guy for us is the third high pick (2018) we'll still have invested another 1st this year that could have gone somewhere else to support the window.

It sounds like a conundrum but really it isn't. If any of these guys was worth the 6 they wouldn't be there on the 6. Think about it.

18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If we are sitting at 1 next year after taking a qb this year i would take darnold. This isn't the 60s this is 2017 and the league has shown nothing else matters but getting the qb. So i take one every year on the pick that matches the talent until the question is answered.

19. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Just draft a QB is every round

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Of course Montana played a HUGE role, but Young still needed to have his game refined by Walsh.