My 2017 mock draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, Apr 17, 2017.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

everyone does them so why not? and i got 2 versions to boot (EDIT: added in a 3rd option)

Version A
    Round 1: Leonard Fournette - RB
    if by some miracle he falls to us (he could go to jax at 4) we need to grab him. an adrian peterson like back who can take pressure off our QB and open up the pass game. 3 down down bruiser with break away speed and a rare talent that comes along once every 10 years or so. If the jets are dad set on BPA he is our pick

Round 2: Kizer or Mahomes - QB
    watson and trib will be gone by the time we pick in the 2nd round. and possibly 1 of the 2 listed here. but 1 should be available for sure. Jets still need a franchise QB and a wise man once said you draft a QB every year. it's the thinnest position and the most important in the NFL. always worth taking a pick. especially with mckown on a 1 year deal and petty on his final year we could head into 2018 with only hack on the roster. even if we bring back petty it makes sense to carry 3 QBs. eventually we have to get one right

Round 3: Jake Butt - TE
    the TE position for the jets has been terrible. for many many years. Butt (and his awesome name) draws comparisons to witten. a solid TE in the run game and pass game. a guy who can convert tough 3rd downs. he isn't a playmaker but he is just what we need. a reliable TE who can catch and block

Round 3: Antonio Garcia - OT
    might be a little early for him but he won't be there by our 5th round pick. and yes i have a clear theme. rebuilding the offense. we need more talent at the tackle position. beechum is on a 2 year deal and has health issues and shell/ijalana are competing for the RT spot. garcia can add depth and be an eventual starter if we are lucky

Round 5: Jaylen Myrick - CB
    we need to address the secondary at some point. williams didn't play well and is on a 1 year deal. claiborne is a injury risk and on a 1 year deal, skrine is best suited in the nickel and burris is going on his 2nd year. lots of uncertainty in the secondary. myrick can provide us some good depth. he's undersized but is a blazer (4.28 40) plays tough in run support and only allowed 39% completions. he also has returned kicks for 3 years so could be our starting KR something we need a boost in.

Round 6: Shelton Gibson - WR
    He's raw but he's a playmaking speedster. built in the deshean jackson mold he can run by DBs and separate. attacks the ball well and can play special teams as a gunner and kick returner

Round 7: Jermaine Eluemunor - OG
    he's a project but who isn't in the 7th round. he has size and strength but is still raw. he can be molded into a solid bulldozer of an offensive guard with the right coaching.

Version B

Round 1: Mitch Trubisky - QB
    assuming fournette is gone, the jets take their future franchise QB. while he's not a home run, he's the closest thing this draft has at the QB position. and the QB needy jets would be wise to not pass on the best QB option if their isn't a much much better player avilable

Round 2: Kevin King - CB
    With the QB position out of the way in this version, the jets should opt to improve the secondary. now we don't get a RB but it isn't worth taking one at this point. we can look to next years draft for that and run with the forte/powell combo for 2017. King has rare size/speed in a CB. has great hands and only allowed 1TD in 101 targets. at 6-3 with 4.4 speed and a physical man to man cover CB he is just what this defense needs on the outside

Rest of the draft stays the same

Updated Version C. jets trade down with Cleveland for their 1st pick overall in the 2nd and 3rd rounds , based on a rumor. Cleveland takes trub at 6)

Round 1: Mike Williams - WR
    in this scenerio with the jets trading out of the top 10, they will opt for BPA. Williams who could go higher will likely be around and is the top WR in the draft. It would be hard for the jets to pass on that. All the other best players will be on defense and no CB or S worth reaching for here

Round 2: 1st pick David Njoku - TE
    1st round value that should fall out of the 1st round.

Round 2 Pick 2 Kevin King - CB
    the jets should opt to improve the secondary. now we don't get a RB but it isn't worth taking one at this point. we can look to next years draft for that and run with the forte/powell combo for 2017. King has rare size/speed in a CB. has great hands and only allowed 1TD in 101 targets. at 6-3 with 4.4 speed and a physical man to man cover CB he is just what this defense needs on the outside

Round 3 Pick 1: Budda Baker - S
    jets continue to rebuild the secondary and take the BPA in 1 shot

Round 3 pick 2: Jalen Tabor - CB
    with kjoku already drafted no need for butt here anymore. jets will land another CB to compete for the starting job. we could see 2 rookies starting, skrine in the slot and williams, burris, and a later pick for depth.

Round 3 pick 3: Antonio Garcia - OT
    might be a little early for him but he won't be there by our 5th round pick. and yes i have a clear theme. rebuilding the offense. we need more talent at the tackle position. beechum is on a 2 year deal and has health issues and shell/ijalana are competing for the RT spot. garcia can add depth and be an eventual starter if we are lucky

Round 5: C.J. Beathard - QB
    after taking 2 CBs and a safety already, no need to draft more secondary. so the jets take a flyer on a project QB. with only 1 QB on the roster for 2018 currently. taking a shot at beathard could be worth it here. you never know who will be the next dak

Round 6: Shelton Gibson - WR
    He's raw but he's a playmaking speedster. built in the deshean jackson mold he can run by DBs and separate. attacks the ball well and can play special teams as a gunner and kick returner

Round 7: Jermaine Eluemunor - OG
    he's a project but who isn't in the 7th round. he has size and strength but is still raw. he can be molded into a solid bulldozer of an offensive guard with the right coaching.

#1 GasedAndConfused, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    FlaJet and boozer32 like this.
  2. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Kizer sucks and Mahomes will be long gone by our pick in the 2nd round, so I'm hoping for Trubisky at #6 like in your version B.

3. GasedAndConfused

cool. i like version B a lot because I'm pretty high on king as well as a much needed boost to our secondary.
    what do you think of the later picks? addresses a lot of needs in the secondary, o-line, TE, speedy WR, and a big boost to special teams

4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Kizer is more likely to fall to the 2nd instead of Mahomes. Eluenunor will be drafted higher. Don't like the Butt pick in any round and there are better options and more importantly healthier options to choose from at TE. Mock 2a I hope they don't even consider taking Trubinsky. It would throw the whole franchise into chaos. So all those supposedly good QB coming out next year are off the board, Hackenberg pick would look even worst and would send a message to him that he is garbage. We will have 4 QB's again and that tell's me have no QBs again. .

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If Trubisky is the take on 6 and he doesn't make the grade next year Mac and Bowles will both be fired and the new guy will have no problem taking a QB in 2018. That's just how the business works.

Taking Trubisky and redshirting him probably means the Jets are uncompetitive until 2020 or so. It will push us back a full season if we take him and warehouse him. That's because we'll be paralyzed in the 2018 draft in regard to QB because we won't know yet what we have in Trubisky and by 2019 you're talking a build cycle into 2020 to compete.

So, if the Jets take Trubisky it better be with the plan that McCown gets a certain number of starts and then Trubisky hits the field to show us what he has. If the plan is more complicated than that and extends into 2018 we're going to see a total massacre in the front office. The fans will be in revolt after watching two high QB's both get redshirted when the common perception is they were over drafted.

Nobody thinks any of the QB's this year is really worth a top 10 pick. They all think desperate teams might reach for a QB earlier than they ought too.

NYJetsO12 and Pags2112 like this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

at some point we need a QB. keep taking shots until it sticks. if we draft one petty is all but gone. if it works out and we have 2 good one's it's trade bait. remember when SD drafted rivers 4th overall despite having brees. I know brees got hurt but if he didn't SD would have kept him and moved rivers for some high picks. we were even rumored to be trying to land rivers. of course chad got hurt, brees got hurt and we couldn't afford both QBs coming off injuries so we got fucked as always. brees went on to be one of the best QBs all time and bring NO a SB win and we still haven't had a good one. them drafting rivers didn't mean that brees became useless or that he sucked. clearly that's not the case. My point is by drafting trub it doesn't mean that hack pick is bad in the same sense drafting rivers didn't mean the brees pick was bad.
    in 2018 we will only have hack on the roster. petty is in his last year and will be gone next season (if not this season) and mccown is on a 1 year deal and 37 and won't be here either. even if we draft trub going into next season we will have only him and hack and QB isn't out of the realm of possibilities if we fall in love with one and hack can't cut it and trub doesn't show anything. no matter what we do we aren't going to be set at QB for quite some time.

what I do think is bowles should not start mccown. he isn't our future. who cares if he gives us 1 or 2 extra wins over hack. bowles needs to grow some balls and start the young guys (preferably hack) to see what they can do.

7. boozer32

Bowles is gone next year. So he really has nothing to lose. Macc job depending on this draft might survive. If he lays an Idzik in this draft then they both will be gone. Then the rebuild cycle starts all over again.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I heard a few 'draft experts' saying Watson is the better QB.

But anyway, I don't see Macc taking another QB this season. With the next draft being so much better for QBs, Macc will probably go with Hack as our 'FQB' this season. IF Hack can hack it, then GREAT!!! We have our QB and we can start winning. But if Hack is a hack, then Macc will be in a good position to get one of the better QBs next year.

Either way, we will be set in 2018 and beyond.

Unless Macc screws things up and takes a QB.

Br4d and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. boozer32

I'm not so sure Hackenberg will be around next year. If he doesn't light it up this year and show the world something he will never see the field in New York.

10. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I need Watson or mahomes in my life... and I want us to trade DOWN to get one of them.. trade down TWICE!!!

boozer32 likes this.
  11. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Perfect for the Jets... move back a few slots to say 12 allow a team (Browns?) to get their QB at 6 while the Jets pick up #12 and Browns #33 pick then use it to get 3 non-QB impact players in rounds 1/2 (CB, LB, RB or S) where they need help.

Br4d and NYJetsO12 like this.
  12. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

I want O-Line and secondary - however they do it, great.

13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

This has got to be the plan A for MM I hope We have more holes on team than swiss cheese

Of course, life can play out differently...happens all the time

Br4d likes this.
  14. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Rd. 1: Jamal Adams S
    Rd. 2: Kevin King CB
    Rd. 3 a. Donnel Pumphrey RB
    rd. 3 b. Pocic or Elfflien C
    rd. 5 Jeremy Sprinkle TE
    rd. 6 George Kittle TE
    rd. 7 Kelly Parfit OT

That would be my ideal draft. My 6th and 7th round picks can be switched to a wr, rb or best player. Would love to trade Richardson and Pryor for more picks but we'll see.

15. GasedAndConfused

that would be a bad idea. recycling coaches every 5 years never works out. at some point you have to give a coach a chance. I bet Cleveland is kicking themselves for firing bellichick.

16. GasedAndConfused

it's possible but that leaves us with 0 QBs for 2018. i doubt we cut a 3rd year 2nd round pick QB on his rookie deal with no other QB on the roster. 99% chance he plays out his rookie deal here, even if it's as a 3rd string QB

17. boozer32

That is what the tank this year is all about. How else do you explain the lousy free agent signings? They are gearing up for the QB bonanza next year

18. boozer32

The fans will never take another 3 years of whatever Bowles ran out there last year. He's a defensive coach but it sure didn't look like it last year. If he has another year of the Jets unprepared every game he won't make it until November.

19. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

would be so...typical if next years class ends up sucking and this year class being full of gems lol.

boozer32 likes this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

the lack of money. we did a good job with the money available.
    that's why fans don't run organizations. they are too irrational and emotional and impatient. rome wasn't built in a day

boozer32 and TwoHeadedMonster like this.