Pat Mahomes

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Jan 4, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No. If you don't like the thread, it's simple...DON'T READ IT!!!! You're not a moderator or censor. Quit trying to be one.

njjets93 likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

I hope you're right, because I sure haven't seen that with either Petty or Hack. Lots of posters have been declaring both of them busts and bums since the day they were drafted. I don't believe for one minute that those posters were hoping to be wrong and rooting for them to succeed. In fact, I think the opposite is true. I think they were rooting for them to fail so they could crow to the forum about how right they were and how smart they are.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Petty was a 4th round pick, which looked like Backup QB all the way as most of them are. Hack was controversial to put it mildly. Mahomes will not be if it happens. Not a wildly popular pick is my guess but not all gloom and doom either.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

What are the odds Mahomes could run a WCO from day one his rookie year after running the Air Raid in college?

10%?

Maybe 33% tops?

So McCown becomes the first 9 game starter and Mahomes takes the last 7 in that scenario. I don't see how the Jets could redshirt Mahomes at this point. They just don't have the personnel or the credibility to pull that off if they take him on the 6 pick.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  5. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

if that were to occur I think I would be unhappier than I was when we selected and started sanchez and anointed him our qb. man.... that would be brutal.

Br4d likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well then I guess that means Hack is screwed. NEXT!

7. ColoradoContrails

A part of Geno's failure was poor coaching and personnel around him. Not saying he could've been great, and I didn't like him when they picked him, but I think he was better than he showed with the Jets.

Br4d likes this.
  8. A traditional WCO complete w. the flawless mechanics ?? .0001%...That simply will not happen year 1.

..But either a dumbed down WCO tailoring to his skill set..or a hybrid catered system all together which is reportedly what Morton will do...I'd put the odds alot higher...75-80%? He can make all the WCO throws/reads & even has the prototype quick release.

I agree that if he's taken at 6 short of an injury or an extenuating circumstance..he cannot be redshirted.As it is Mac/Bowles job's live or die w. the next QB they select. They stick their neck out & take this guy at 6...they get maybe half a season w. McCown or Hack before the masses are up in arms..

Br4d likes this.
  9. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I am not. It was a simple question.

10. alleycat9

hack is screwed for many reasons. I have absolutely no faith that he will ever be even a middling qb in this league. I hope I am wrong, but that's where my thought process is and was with him.

11. NCJetsfan

I think you're probably close with your percentages, but if the Jets take Mahomes, I doubt they'll be running a WCO (at least they shouldn't be). They should run an offense similar to the Air Raid that can take advantage of what Mahomes can do best.

12. NCJetsfan

You are. When someone asks to close a thread, it is an attempt to stop any further discussion. There is no reason for this thread to be closed. Others of us are still interested and participating.

13. alleycat9

you want the new york jets to install an air raid offense or something similar in order to take advantage of what this kid can do? there is a really really valid reason why you dont see air raid offenses in the nfl. and why you see air raid qbs not have any success in the nfl. its very simplistic and will get eaten up by better schemes, guys whose job it is to know what is going to happen before it happens and guys who are bigger, stronger and faster who can cover the schemes pretty easily.

14. ColoradoContrails

I don't think NC meant a "pure" Air Raid Offense...just incorporate parts that will work, along with other things that Mahomes can more quickly adapt to. I think that's reasonable, and smart.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

Correct. I meant those elements or parts that will take advantage of what Mahomes can do very well.

16. ColoradoContrails

So for all you guys demanding a "sure thing" as a QB if they take one in the draft, reflect on this synopsis of Joe Montana:

http://www.espn.com/classic/s/000729montanaadd.html

Some things that stood out for me:

"Two plays later, faced with a third-and-three on the six, a mobile Montana sprinted to his right, chased by three Cowboys. In the back of the end zone, Dwight Clark ran in the same direction. Throwing off the wrong foot, Montana lofted the ball towards his favorite target.

"Before the 1979 draft, one scouting combine rated Montana a 6½ (out of 9). The report said: "He can thread the needle, but usually goes with his primary receiver and forces the ball to him even when he's in a crowd. He's a gutty, gambling, cocky type. Doesn't have great tools, but could eventually start."

Would you want the Jets to take Montana if he were there? There are no sure things. Mahomes might fall flat on his face, but he also might take them to the SB. I'm pretty sure Petty, Hack, and McCown won't.

legler82, njjets93 and xxedge72x like this.
  17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Bill Walsh would've never let a Mahomes with that crappy footwork / mechanics operate his WCO. Montana had perfect mechanics and footwork. To get that to throw to Clark, how many passes did Montana have to complete? You can't do that on every play.

18. alleycat9

what parts are those? i honestly dont think you guys really have any idea what any of the different forms of the air raid offense actually are or what their concepts and thought process is. they are not a couple plays, they are a system and something you do or you dont, there really isnt any half way.

19. ColoradoContrails

Really? So the WCO and the Air Raid systems were handed down whole from on high? Please! Systems are developed a piece at a time. All systems are evolutionary, built upon other systems that came before. The Jets can certainly develop their own version of these, or others, to fit their personnel. In fact, they'd be foolish to force fit a system onto their players.

20. ColoradoContrails

If you say so. I think Walsh would've been able to work pretty well with Mahomes.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.