Morris Claiborne signs with the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ConcordeChops, Mar 16, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I understand your wanting to take offensive players and not defensive players, but it will not help the team to take lesser players just to get offensive players rather than defensive players. There isn't a great QB. RBs don't have as much value as they used to. Even with a possible need at WR, there really aren't any WRs in this draft as talented and as good prospects as Adams, Hooker and Foster. That's the reality. Howard is the only one who comes close, and you don't want him.

You do realize that we have a new OC who has worked under three different HCs all of whom use the TE a lot, don't you? If so, it doesn't matter what Gailey or any of his predecessors did with the position. It's what Morton will do that's important, and Howard can help the offense in three ways: 1) with his receiving, both by being a safety valve and getting down the seam and creating mismatches; 2) with his blocking in pass protection; and 3) with his blocking in the rushing attack.

boozer32 likes this.
  2. thankyourevis

thankyourevis Active Member

You give him an A? We are tanking. So far the only thing he has done is make sure next season we have an unwatchable product. Anyone can cut a bunch of players and cobble together a 2-3 win team. I agree that this had to happen, the question is what does he do during and after rock bottom. There is no need to give grades yet. We are at rock bottom.

#182 thankyourevis, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    Jets69 likes this.
  3. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Yeah I get all of that but where will Hooker play right now in our defense? Pryor and Gilchrist are still there. I've mentioned it before that Macc is drafting this year for next years staff. Bowles will not be around next year so why draft his type of players. Hooker takes bad angles and is a poor tackler, lot of good he would do on ths defense. Howard is not that much of a difference maker to take that high at 6. He i a luxury pick and we don't have that luxury at this moment. Especially with Enunwa already playing a similar type of position. I like that position but we haven't feautured it in decades. This draft is about the future not immediate needs. Otherwise Macc would have taken a different approach in free agency.

4. boozer32

How do we not know if Gilchrist didn't call out Bowles? Do you also expect Gilchrist to call out Revis a first ballot HOFer? It was the defensive scheme and calls by the staff that made the secondary look awful. Or maybe the lack of calls because they certainly didn't make any adjustments...all year.

5. boozer32

Didn't we just sign a ILB and David Harris is still on the roster. Plus what position does our last year first round draft pick play? Talk about credibility you have none because you want to draft a guy at 6 that won't start and we have a glut of. Ladies and Gentlemen I present to you the reason why this team stinks.

6. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

I actually expect Claiborne to have a good year. Took a one year contract- to display his talents, and next offseason he will sign a mega deal(not with the Jets)

7. NCJetsfan

Where will Hooker play in our Defense? Seriously? Unless Bowles and Rodgers are completely brain dead, Hooker would beat out Gilchrist in a NY minute. Tackling technique can be fixed, as can taking poor angles, and speed can overcome bad angles. Speed, instincts, and ball skills can't be coached.

I agree that Mac is probably drafting for next year's staff, but that has zero impact on Hooker. Any defense can use a speedy FS with great instincts and ball skills.

I totally disagree with your assertion that Howard would not be that much of a difference maker. He is NOT a luxury pick. That's ridiculous imo. A player that can immediately help a young QB and offense in 3 ways is not a luxury.

Enunwa is not that similar to Howard. He is pretty much purely a receiver, and may be moved to the #1 WR spot.

You keep saying that we haven't featured the position in decades as if that means anything. It means nothing, zero, zilch, nada. What previous HCs, GMs, and OCs did has absolutely NO bearing on what Morton will want to do. If Mac provides him with a quality TE, he will use him. If not, he'll try to compensate in some way. TEs are major weapons in today's NFL. It's about effing time the Jets woke up and joined the 21st Century.

The draft is mostly about the future, but even if we do have a completely different CS next year, most teams in the NFL make use of the TE position. Howard would still be an important part of the offense unless we hired yet another clueless HC and OC.

You try to dismiss all the defensive prospects, and the best offensive prospect to help this team, and clamor for offense, but don't mention which offensive players you would take.

8. NCJetsfan

We don't know whether or not Gilchrist called out Bowles, but we know that Gilchrist blew coverages and didn't get his secondary teammates in the right coverages/positions. The problem was much worse than the scheme and calls by the staff.

Hell yes I would expecty Gilchrist to call out Revis. Future HOFer means jack shit when you're giving no effort on the playing field. If I was Gilchrist, I'd have been kicking Revis' pussy ass if he was out there dogging it, giving no effort. They'd have had to pull me off of him.

I may be mistaken, but Gilchrist was calling the coverages on the field, not the staff. Even if the staff called a coverage, I would assume that Gilchrist had the option of changing it at the LOS if he didn't like what he saw.

nycarl likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

What ILB did we just sign? The last time I looked, a 3-4 D alignment requires two ILBs, not just one. How is it that we have a "glut" at the ILB position?

If we drafted Foster, he WOULD start. You can bank on that. Making that statement really makes you look like you have no clue what you're talking about.

:rolleyes:o_O SMH

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Stop boozing Boozer. Take off the dunce hat and put on your tiny little thinking cap. Adding Foster makes Lee a better player.

3-4 - Both Lee and Foster play inside
    4-3 Foster is ILB; Lee plays Weak-side linebacker
    Nickel - Both see the field. Foster plays inside linebacker, you allow Lee to roam the field allowing him to take advantage of his range / speed and athleticism.

You can't be any dumber right now, you could've actually googled this prior to quoting me. Dumb dumb thinks we only have 1 pick in the draft and that every single pick should go to offense. Thank God this is a message board and you have no actual input, there would be billboards with your face put up a long time ago.

11. boozer32

Well I would have to say you're pretty stupid or just ignorant. Lee would get run over by any small FB in football. You can hide him in the box or weakside and it won't change a thing. Heck a couple of girls slammed him in a bar in Ohio. Reuben (Do you know who I am) Foster won't be our pick either. Who's next Lattimore? So you keep adding defensive players and I'll keep making fun of you.

12. 101GangGreen101

You are truly a dumb-ass. Linebackers are quick in today's NFL to adapt to the pro 'spread' offense. Deone Bucannon is about the same size as Lee. Put the dunce cap back on.

13. boozer32

Yeah but Bucannon is everything Lee is not. He is an OLB, was drafted as a safety, better tackler, could handle drunks in bar and better in coverage. But still he had zero sacks and zero interceptions. Now go cherry pick another player

14. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yup, he likes to cherry pick his arguments too. I really hope Lee breaks out somehow in spite of Bowles.........

Ima go ape shit if he does

lmfao

15. boozer32

Well two points. I don't think Lee will breakut as long as Bowles is still around. The next head coach may have a different defensive scheme. Lee might breakout on another team.

JetLifeLo likes this.
  16. boozer32

Josh Martin. Foster concussions are scaring teams. He's dropping mid round now. Who would Foster bump for that start? It certainly won't be Harris he calls the defense and if its Lee then that is a smack in the face to Macc and Bowels...again. Who get's bumped? Now 3rd down he might come in. Kinda of a waste to take someone that high for 1 down.

17. NCJetsfan

Josh Martin is an OLB, not ILB, and he's been with the team for the last two years. Again, you're losing credibility because you don't know what you're talking about.

If the Jets draft Foster, Harris is getting cut or going to the bench.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  18. boozer32

Well I think its pretty safe Harris will be starting as the Jets will not be drafting Foster. No sense dealing in hypotheticals. Sorry could not find any listing of Martin being exclusively a OLB. Just going off of others saying they are interchangeable in 3-4/4-3 since we run both. Plus he's as big as Harris (245 lb to Harris 250 lbs) or bigger than our superstar nightclub slayer ILB Darron Lee (228 lbs).

19. 101GangGreen101

What's your point? I said he was a similar player. What Lee did or didn't do on the field has nothing to do with this discussion. I love when fans bash rookies. Truly the worst kind of Jet fan.

You wanna argue just to argue doesn't matter how uneducated you look. That's a special kind of stupid.

#199 101GangGreen101, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

[​IMG]

Special kind of stupid. His stock is not dropping.

NCJetsfan likes this.