McCopter joins the Jets (1 year deal)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ConcordeChops, Mar 20, 2017.

1. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Exactly....6 mill for McCown is a joke

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

McCown's contract is so unbelievably inconsequential it shouldn't even be brought up in conversation honestly.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. JulesWinfield89

JulesWinfield89 Active Member

this is really shaping up to be an exciting season...I mean we have the potential to be as bad as we've been since the Kotite years

4. King Koopa

You're wrong.....6 million in dead money is looked at as a pretty big deal when you have to cut players because of a bad contract

This is basically 6 million in dead money

5. BroadwayAaron

No... its 6 million for a starting QB that won't be a trainwreck and is a well known good locker room guy. Dead money would be a player providing absolutely nothing to the team.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  6. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

McCown is 38 with a history of concussions. It's very unlikely that he can play more than a handful of games anyway.

7. King Koopa

He'll play like 5 or 6 games max because of injuries first of all....concussions, old, and made of glass

He absolutely will be a trainwreck....why pay up for a trainwreck is my point

He's a good locker room guy...congrats man. Could have taken literally any vet good guy QB off the couch for the vet minimum and got the same results

It isn't the biggest deal in the world but it's a complete waste for no good reason

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

Who out there were we saving our cap space for? Pretty much every market has dried up. The only players left to be had aren't going to break the bank and we have plenty of money to fill out the roster with those kind of guys.

9. King Koopa

You can roll over cap space or use the money to extend some of our younger guys

There is no excuse to throw away atleast $4 million for this trash

ColoradoContrails and DSL97 like this.
  10. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

I'd be pretty pissed if I paid $6million for a guy that is likely not going to be able to make through the preseason.

This is all about McCagnan trying to save face and avoid having to play Hackenbust.

ColoradoContrails and King Koopa like this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Can some of you give it a freaking rest. What part are you guys struggling with? We needed insurance for the kids.
    Period end of story. All the other options were for a starter no matter what. Which was exactly what we did not need. We needed a mentor first, and an emergency starter last. We paid 15M for a disaster last year. I'm looking at at it as a 50% savings for the perfect role. This is the first indication that they believe in Hack and or Petty.
    McCown is there if the two kids fall hard. Even if we draft another QB it would be stupid throwing him to the wolfs.
    Let's move on and build a supporting cast for the kids. Say good bye to the QB drama.

12. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

I'm not against bringing Mccown in, I totally get it, but 6 million was way more than I expected.

13. BroadwayAaron

We are going to have almost $70 mil in cap space next year and that's if we retain Decker, Skrine, Gilchrist (no chance). What young guys are we extending? Mauldin and Leonard Williams will be the only guys up for a new deal and I think we'll find the money somewhere in that near $70 mil we have.

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Mcclown will be opening day starter. He's not being brought in to be a backup. As long as he's healthy he "gives us the best chance to win"

Christian Hackenberg doesn't go from 4th team reps to presumed starter.

I said it before this is just about the new OC Morton wanting to run his "system" so he can have a year of tape on his resume after the year when the staff is looking for work

#114 BrowningNagle, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.
  15. King Koopa

The part I'm struggling with is throwing away $4 million atleast for no good reason

Hey Josh McClown come aboard for the vet minimum and be our mentor/insurance policy or take a hike....I would have been fine with that

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. King Koopa

Enunwa comes to mind....Any way you slice it it's a waste of money to me

I understand you just don't care but some of us do.....just call it what it is and we can agree to disagree

17. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

So basically he's only getting 6 million.

18. BroadwayAaron

The bottom line is McCown's contract is damn near irrelevant all things considered. We could have rolled over the money, sure. But we aren't going to and we'll still have more money to spend than 75% of the league. Not to mention, we are STILL going to be able to roll over some money unless we make an unforeseen trade. You're bickering over what amounts to be pennies in the grand scheme of things, as absurd as that may sound.

Catfish Billy and Pags2112 like this.
  19. King Koopa

It's just bad business, and in a tight salary cap everything matters.....Maybe not right this second, but maybe next offseason we are in a bidding war for 2 top free agents and that extra 4 mill could have come in handy

I was saying the same thing last year when we blew 12 million on Fitz so I guess we're making progress in blowing money on scrub QBs

Look man, it isn't a huge deal I'll agree with that but I'll continue to call out/disagree with things I don't like. I also give credit where credit is due

20. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

Just a stopgap quarterback, it seems like the Jets are going all in for a quarterback in next years draft.

If they win a couple games, and get a bad draft #, I feel they will trade a big haul to move up.