WW85's 2017 NY JET'S MOCK DRAFT (2.0)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by WW85, Mar 18, 2017.

1. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I had some spare time this weekend to post my second NY Jet's mock draft. Some changes based on Free Agency and Combine results.

I'm not thrilled with this QB class, so I'm passing on a QB, with the premise we will sign a "stop-gap" for one year and can see if Hack and Petty will step up. I really like D. Watson, but I believe Mack isn't going to draft a QB in Rd 1 and why draft a QB in later rounds when we have two developmental QBs on the roster. If things don't work out, will have some QB options in 2018.

I have preached defense in round one, but have changed my mind due to the potential Howard has to change the culture of our pathetic offense.

Round 1) OJ HOWARD, TE, BAMA....The Jets get an opportunity to get a Pro Bowl type player on the offense. Howard is one of the best TEs I've seen coming into the NFL. Great hands, red-zone target with great size and athletic ability and great blocker to help our O-line. No question would be a great asset especially to a developing QB. Morton our new offensive coor. will be extensively using the TE position. I don't see Mac going RB in Rd 1, not his style, offense just got better with Howard onboard. Also, expect Decker to return to form by Sept, so I will not be drafting a WR with our young talent.

Round 2) CHARLES HARRIS, OLB, MISSOURI....The edge rusher this team needs in the worse way. Jets looked at Nick Perry and weren't successful, Harris starts from day one. Jet's need a relentless force on the edge.

Round 3) ANTONIO GARCIA, OT, TROY...I really like Garcia and he can challenge the RT position and create depth, especially if Beachum and Shell struggle.

Round 3) MONTAE NICHOLSON, FS, MICHIGAN ST. ....Big Safety that was very productive in the Big Ten, very good in coverage, only a Junior, should continue to improve.

Round 5) JON TOTH, C, KENTUCKY....Had Toth in my earlier mock. Wesley Johnson looks like the starter, Toth will be a solid back-up and potential future starter. Center needs to be addressed in this draft.

Round 6) RILEY BULLOUGH, ILB, MICHIGAN ST.....Great bloodlines. Tough, lunch pail Guy that works hard and plays faster than his athletic ability.

Round 7) ELIJAH McGUIRE, RB, LOUISANA/LAFAYETTE.....productive runner, good receiver and some youth to compliment to our backfield.

As always appreciate your comments, negative or positive, or questions. It's impossible to fill all our needs in one draft, I tried my best to address some major areas of concerns. This is just part of the rebuild process.

#1 WW85, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  2. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

Love the OJ Howard pick - so glad you didn't go for Fournette (injury prone and only so so again good teams.)

We really need Offensive Line but there is no-one there that warrants the No.6 pick

I usually watch the SEC for NCAA-FB so don't know too much about Garcia from Troy - but we do need to go O/Line in the first 3 picks

Totally agree that Center needs addressing in this draft.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Looks to me like you hit all the bases, assuming Macc isn't going to draft a QB. I would suggest that if Webb or Peterman were available after the 2nd round he might grab one of them, as I think both are closer to ready now than not, and if Pettyberg fails he would have someone to go to.

4. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Howard is cool with me but I would try and swing a deal with Carolina to ensure the Panthers get Leonard Fournette and the Jets can maybe snatch a 4th and a future 2018 pick in a small deal and than get Howard. Maybe Carolina can ensure to get that RB for years to come and not be scared by a team trading up with Los Angeles Chargers.

If we can get a 4th, would like to add antoher CB to the core and with Claiborne, Skrine, Marcus Williams, Burris and rookie CB, while it's not a great core it is athletic and has some talent in it.

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Why only a 4th? I'd want their 2nd, or maybe their 3rd and a 2018 sub-4th pick.

6. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Hey Baker,

I wanted to add a CB, I was looking at Rasul Douglas at the end of Rd 3, but I felt we had to add to add a Safety over CB at this point.

Ideally a trade back in rd 2 or 3 to add a few extra picks would be great, but I didn't apply it in the mock, too difficult to predict. I think Howard is a "hot" commodity right now, he could be drafted in the top 5.

FJF and Leicester Jet like this.
  7. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

If we stay at #6 and go Offense, the only 2 players I would want is Howard or Watson. Drafting Watson probably isn't going to happen, Mac will be admitting he made a mistake drafting Hack. More than likely the Jets will go defense in Rd 1, but I really want Howard at this point.

FJF likes this.
  8. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Hey WW

I loved your Reuben Foster pick in your 1st mock. Did he drop from your list due to the antics on the combine?

9. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

Love me some Howard but who is going to get him the ball? Catch 22 ,,, if you get a QB with the sixth pick you don't get Howard, if you get Howard, you have no one to get him the ball. The joy of being a Jet fan, lol.

10. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Sign me up

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  11. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I'd rather go for Howard than the Q/B - I don't really think there is a good one there this year. Better to see what we already have in my view.
    Whats the point in have X number of rookie Q/B's if you never see whata any of them can do?

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally disagree. The Jets have QBs who can get the ball to the TE.

13. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I still love Foster, he's an outstanding player. Foster wasn't my choice this mock due to Howard's rise up the board, which he earned and our need for offense. I wasn't happy about Foster losing his patience at the medical. It's part of the process making you wait at the combine, it's a test of your character.......almost like how a soldier in boot camp responds to a drill sergeant screaming in their face.

almbleamal likes this.
  14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i think everyone knows i love the howard pick, like the rest of it too. fill a lot of needs, lets hope mac agrees about oj

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

WW85

Let me say right now that I'd take that draft in a NY minute. That would be a HUGE draft haul for the Jets. The first 3 picks would be almost dreamlike. I also like the Toth pick in the 5th and think we absolutely have to draft a center, unless Mac signs a FA C.

My only disappointments are not getting a CB. I think that with this CB class, the Jets have to get a CB. That said, I know the Jets aren't going to be able to address all their needs in this draft.

I wholeheartedly agree that Gilchrist needs to be replaced. Do you think the Nicholson kid could do it this season? I haven't seen any video of him at all. What do you think of the kid who was a rookie last season from Appalachian St., Middleton? Do you think he has any potential as a starter or backup? If you like Middleton at all or don't think Nicholson could supplant Gilchrist in the starting lineup this season, then I think I'd rather take a CB at that pick.

#15 NCJetsfan, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  16. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

Honestly, idk much about the last 3 picks so I cant comment there, but I absolutely love the first 4 picks. Any mock with Howard gets a thumbs up from me

17. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I'd like to see the Jets overload on offense for once. I like Harris as a prospect but I think there will be even level talent on the offensive side of the ball. Either QB with whichever of the top 4 makes it out of the first, Mixon or Zay Jones/Godwin would be very solid 2nd round picks and along with Howard would be solid building blocks for this talent barren offense.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I like it but isn't Charles Harris a projected potential top 20 pick?

Howard seems to be the dual threat playmaker we need. And coming from that Alabama offense, you know he can block at least decently unlike a say Dustin Keller or Jace Amaro.

Blocking is so underrated for a tightend. For as good as Jimmy Graham is, the Seahawks have to take him off the field when they want to run the ball. This obviously becomes predictable. When they leave him on the field I think they ran for like a yard less per carry or something drastic like that (from what I remember them posting statistics during a prime time game).

FJF likes this.
  19. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

LOL......i knew WW would come around and sip some OJ.....

This is such a gift wrapped pick for a team like the jets, what could go wrong???

someone nabs him at 5. LOL.

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  20. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

That's my biggest fear.