Sam Darnold...ain't going to happen in 2018!

Discussion in 'Draft' started by UKGangGreen, Mar 12, 2017.

1. thankyourevis

thankyourevis Active Member

fyi... massive cuts signal rock bottom. They do not signal an improved team. Losing all these players means we have had it with mediocrity. That doesnt mean we are automatically better cause they are gone. We are not. We hope in a few years we will be.

Jets69 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. UKGangGreen

UKGangGreen Active Member

Enunwa is better than the no-show Marshall of 2016; Beachum is an upgrade on Ijalana; Johnson has already replaced Mangold; Lattimore will replace Revis with our #6 pick; Decker returns fit; the next vet QB we bring in will improve on Fitzpatrick.

I think that makes us a better team already. What it won't translate into is a 8-8 season because the schedule is tough. But it is a team that I can see is going in the right direction at last...

3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Plus 1 Million

I see 2 wins next year tops

Choices at QB: Scrub FA or Hack and Petty

Five days into FA and there is no FA QB...must tell ya something

Jets69 and thankyourevis like this.
  4. thankyourevis

hey man if you want to be an optimist god bless you. I think with cutler we could win maybe 5 games next year. With the qbs we have maybe 2. We are at rock bottom. The rams had more talent than we do now and they were a 4 win team last year. They dont give away wins in this league. we can see how things playout but right now we are leading the pack by a large margin for the sam darnold sweepstakes.

joe and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Tougher schedule
    secondary, LBs, OL, TEs, RBs, HC, all are limited on talent.
    Unknown QB talent.

Yea...2017 is going to be Kotite-era bad.

Jets81, NYJetsO12 and thankyourevis like this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

There's potentially 6 guys available next year. Outside of Darnold, I think if Rosen has a good year he has to come out and now do what Matt Barkley did years ago. Josh Allen, Brett Rypien, Luke Falk. Deondre Francois to add. If 3 out of those 5 stay healthy and have a good year, then to me that's already better then this years class. As a Jet fan it's worth the gamble to see how Hack does this year.

Perhaps Mahomes drops to the 3rd round and the Jets cut Petty and roll with Hack / vet / Mahomes.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

People always think QB's will go higher than they actually go in the end. That's because we're Jets fans and we're QB-deprived at this point.

Last year was a weird year for QB's with the Rams reaching for an appealing QB for their new location and the Eagles deciding Wentz was a clearcut 1st round choice when he really was less obviously in that talent range. Of the two Wentz was the better choice but they were both very risky trade ups.

I expect things to go more by the book this year and by the book there should maybe be 1 QB taken in the 1st round and maybe 2 more early 2nd.

8. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

What about Lamar Jackson? I think he'd be just as good a prospect as Darnold

9. thankyourevis

He has a mike vick quality to him.. he might never complete over 60 percent but he would be exciting as hell.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No to Lattimore. No CB is worth the #6 pick and Lattimore certainly isn't with only one year's starting experience and an injury history rivaling Dee Miliner. No thanks.

TonyFtLaud and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

Darnold's only started eight games. How do anyone of us know if he's actually a star QB prospect or worth tanking for? The same was said about Josh Rosen after his freshmen year, and he struggled in year two and now has nerve damage in his shoulder. Maybe Darnold is an elite prospect, but we tend to overrate the upcoming QB class every single offseason.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's born out of desperation.

13. 101GangGreen101

Needs more polish. There's no guarantee Darnold is the best prospect either. Here's the big 3 IMO.

Sam Darnold
    Josh Rosen
    Josh Allen

Jackson needs to continue to develop as a passer otherwise, I don't see him being a good player at the next level. To me those 3 definitely top this years class and if all 3 have a good year, I see no scenario in which they return back to school. Call it the Matt Barkley rule.

14. 101GangGreen101

15. 101GangGreen101

So far yes, he checks all of the boxes but he does have a tendency to wind the ball up from the hip, in a sense it needs to be tighten.

16. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

It's possible he's a star prospect. It's also highly likely that once the media and NFL scouts begin to study Darnold in depth that they'll become more keen of his warts, thus becoming lower on him as a prospect. We see this happen every single season.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. 101GangGreen101

that would be a great advantage for the Jets should they continue to scout and see what he can do on the field. It happened to Derek Carr and Aaron Rodgers. These scouts seem to discredit the quarterbacks after watching all of the tape and it ultimately burns them. 8 games is too small a sample size so you hope he can continue to build on what he did last year. USC roster is stacked. I hope Rosen bounces back, he's got talent too. His scenario is nothing like Hackenberg's though, which is why I want to see Hack play this year.

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

no matter how bad we are. the browns and a few others will find a way to be worse. The last time we picked in the top 3 was 1996 when we took keyshawn 1st overall. so for 20 years at least 3 teams have found a way to be worse then us every season.

also looking at the 1996 draft the top 10 was pretty bad
    ogden was a stud (4)
    key, rice, hardy, glenn, and anderson had some good years and pro bowls but outside rice none were good for a long time
    and 4 were busts.

harrison went 19th overall and was the best WR of the draft and one of the best all time. so yeah draft position doesn't mean everything

19. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

For sure. All the QBs are hyped during this time of year. Before the Rose Bowl I did not hear a peek about how good Darnold is.

20. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Really? A lot of people (e.g. Kirk Herbstreit) made mention of USC being the hottest team at the end of the season (because of Darnold) and how they hoped USC could somehow get help from others (i.e. upsets) so as to sneak back into the playoff picture. USC wasn't getting in, not after opening the season getting crushed by 'Bama (pre-Darold) and losing to Utah. That said, once Darold took over SC became a better team than Washington and had they played Clemson in the playoffs they certainly wouldn't have laid the 0-31 egg THE Ohio State did.

There's "happy feet" (bad) and then, .there's this:

[​IMG]