Welcome New Jets Fans! - Introduce yo self

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Sep 3, 2013.

Tags:
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Since I started rooting for the Jets when they were the NY Titans, I wouldn't call myself a "new" Jets fan, but I am new to this site. After 54 years, I'm really close to throwing in the towel on this apparently inept team, but before I do, I thought I'd join in some discussions to see if I could gain some insight and perspective. But I have to say that based on my over half a century of watching them, I believe the main problem is the owner, and not just Woody now, but Leon before him. We've been cursed with two guys who are clueless about how to build a good franchise, and until we get someone who does, we'll continue with the futility we've had. As to more specific thoughts/ideas, I'll try to post them to the appropriate thread, and also try to remain open-minded (well, not completely close-minded :) ), and see if I can learn anything that would convince me to continue beating my head against this green wall.

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Dont throw in the towel my friend...Just dont be fully invested in this team until they are invested in you as a fan.

3. voltron

voltron New Member

Originally from the south pacific. Started following American football but really did not have a team. Met Mark Sanchez with my father and decided to make the Jets my team. Oh, and green is my color.

Faux machine and alleycat9 like this.
  4. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Yes I am a Patriot fan, but I am not here to bust anyone's chops for being a Jets fan. Unlike many of the Patriot fans that are Johnny-Come-Latelys, I have been a Patriot fan since they drafted Jim Plunkett. I know what it is like to be a fan of a miserable NFL team, so I really do feel your pain. Oddly enough, even though the Pats are my #1 NFL team, I do have a soft spot for the Jets.

I am a big fan of Don Maynard, ok I am showing my age here. I must confess that when Parcels took over the Jets, I was not happy with the Jets. But since that time, my anger has subsided and I back to being an under dog rooter for the Jets.

I think my perspective as a Pats fan trying to analyze the Jets franchise might be different and will hopefully be accepted. My avatar was chosen because I think this year's Super Bowl victory was a "In your face Goodell moment".

I would love for the Jets to finally put the Giants in their place.

westiedog1 and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

its nice to see a patriots fan that isnt a stuck up boston douche coming here to get a rise out of folks.

i dont hate the patsies, i still hate the dolphins. i think at this point that your organization has been run better than any other i have seen in my lifetime. and simply saying that is going to piss off almost every jets fan under 40. oh well its the truth.

when i was a kid my mom rooted for hte jets AND the giants, she also would root for the patriots because she felt bad for them. any pats fan thats been around as long as you have is ok by me, you went through some horrible shit for a long long time with that team.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. Patriot

I would like to say you are wrong, but there are a lot of stuck up people in Boston. Years ago when the Pats were one of the worst NFL teams, going to a Patriots game was actually pretty dangerous due to all the drunks. Today you have these stuck up yuppies who will tell you to sit down if your stand to cheer. It is amazing how things have changed.

For the Jets fans who remain loyal during these dark times, how can I or anyone insult you? You are the real fans and I have all the respect for you. Now when the Jets become a winning team, hopefully soon, and you get these so called Jets fans crawling out from everywhere, I will not have any respect for those folks. My first question will be when they start boasting is where were you during these dark times?

Thanks again for your kind words and may your franchise get out of these dark times soon.

7. alleycat9

they came crawling out when favre came, then they came out back again with sancho and the rex years then it was a whole different breed with tebow. and they will be back again if the team ever gets good. it sucks because they annoy me as much if not more than fans of other teams.

Jay Bizniss, NCJetsfan and Patriot like this.
  8. Patriot

Wow 54 years, you should get a 50 year medal for your loyalty to the team. I agree with you 100% about the ownership problem. The Pats had the same problem with the Sullivan family, as you probably remember. Being a football fan that long I guess you have had the fortune of seeing some great football over the years. Perhaps my rendition of Jets history will make you feel better.

The 1968 AFL championship game between the Raiders and the Jets was one of the greatest NFL games ever in my opinion. The Raiders defense simply punished Namath and to his credit Namath continued playing. When he threw that interception to Atkinson because the 40 mph wind gust killed his throw, and gave the Raiders the lead, it would be understandable if the Jets had lost the game.

But then came the greatest catch in football history when Maynard got open against a pretty good CB, Atkinson, and caught the ball over his shoulders like Willy Mays. Ironically enough he fumbled the ball afterwards, but fortunately for the Jets out of bounds. Then came the winning TD throw to who else but Maynard.

The Raiders came back with a winning drive on their own and the Jets made the fumble recovery from Lamonica's backwards pass. The Jets went on to win the Super Bowl that year, but that AFL game in my opinion is where they really became champs.

Back then football was really football, and the hits Namath took would have lead to million dollar fines in todays pansy league. With all the success the Pats have had recently, what can compare to that Jets team back in 1968 when football was really football! Sure the Super Bowl victory after 911 was special, but it still does not compare to that game!

No one can take that away from you and you should raise your shoulders high and be proud to be a Jets fan. Before that game, I always thought Namath was a pretty boy over paid stuck up athlete. After that game, I had the greatest respect for him.

For all the younger folks on this board who missed this event, go look up this game on the internet. If your not proud to be a Jets fan after watching this you never will be.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Welcome. I'm always glad to have good, knowledgeable posters from other teams on the Jets site on which I read and post. IMO it enriches and enhances the discussion. I used to post on the NY Times Jets Forum and we had a Dolphins fan who was a great poster and a good guy. We also had a Ravens fan who was a good poster and regular contributor.

I've been a Jets fan since 1965 when the Jets drafted Namath. Colorado and I share many of the same frustrations with the Jets. I'm close to bailing on following them as well. Sports are supposed to be fun, but following the Jets is mostly just frustrating. Since you're a long-time Pats fan, I know you can understand that. I'm glad your patience was rewarded. Hopefully, ours will be too!

I look forward to discussions with you.

Hopefully, most posters here will welcome you.

#289 NCJetsfan, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    westiedog1 and Patriot like this.
  10. Patriot

Thanks for the kind words. I have a feeling not everyone will be as nice as you.

Before the Jets-Patriots rivalry started with the Tuna, the Patriots and Jets fans seemed to actually like each other. I remember a game once in the old stadium between the Jets and Patriots, I think you guys won. It was a great shootout between an aging Namath and Plunkett. I remember after the game having a few drinks with some Jets fans and laughing how pitiful both teams were. It is amazing how things change with history.

LarryAlRalph and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well, you're not the first classy Patriot fan to grace our shores. Welcome to the board. Really not much of a "rivalry" anymore as we're not much competition with the Pats or most other contenders. Just be prepared to defend yourself around here as not everyone is as tolerant of Pats fans. We let a lot of shit go and you'll be expected to defend yourself minus the extreme language that sometimes creeps in. From what I've read of your posts so far, I think you're gonna be ok..

Mgmt..

Jay Bizniss likes this.
  12. JulesWinfield89

JulesWinfield89 Active Member

13. Glenn G

Glenn G Member

Long time Jets fan. I was posting on a different board for the last few years and looking for a change.

NYJalltheway, Faux machine and K'OB like this.
  14. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

Good luck with that. :D

15. alleycat9

do you know junc?

16. Glenn G

Glenn G Member

No, wtf man. I just know Bowles sucks.

alleycat9 likes this.
  17. alleycat9

just an old poster from here, he seems to be on every jets board driving people crazy.. so i figured you mustve run into him.

18. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Don't worry, alleycat9 asks all the new posters about their junk

19. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

Aw heck, now I feel neglected! :D

20. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

You must have shown up during his last trip to Thailand