What are the Jets 4 top priorities?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by ColoradoContrails, Feb 17, 2017.

?

Name your four highest draft priorities

1. QB

35 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. RB

6 vote(s)
    12.0%
  3. TE

11 vote(s)
    22.0%
  4. WR

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  5. OL

44 vote(s)
    88.0%
  6. Pass Rusher

31 vote(s)
    62.0%
  7. OLB

10 vote(s)
    20.0%
  8. ILB

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  9. CB

33 vote(s)
    66.0%
  10. Safety

16 vote(s)
    32.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Although there are exceptions, after the fourth round, very few players turn out to be "impact" players, and many even don't play a season. The Jets are in dire need of impact players, so they're going to have to make the first four rounds count. Which four positions would you choose first? I wish there was a way to allow rank-ordering of your choice, but you can do that in your post. For me:

1. QB
    2. RB
    3. OL
    4. Pass Rusher

And yes we need help at all the other positions I listed, but these are the ones I think are most critical.

boozer32 likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Are you asking about in general, or for the 2017 draft? The answer could be different.

For example, LT is probably our 2nd biggest need, but with the 2017 draft being such a poor draft for LTs, it has to take a back seat to some other positions. Thus, in general, LT is our 2nd biggest need, but for the 2017 draft, I think it probably drops down to 5th or 6th on the list, unless they are really that high on one of the LTs, think he could start and play well this season, and think they have a realistic chance of getting him.

I think your poll needs a little tweaking. For instance, you have both pass rusher and OLB listed, but even though we alternate between the 3-4 and 4-3 alignments, the pass rushing position we need most is the OLB position. An OLB pass rusher could always play 4-3 DE, but the opposite isn't true. Also, you have safety, but imo unless the Jets have given up on Pryor, we don't need a SS, but we do need a FS, so I would differentiate between the two.

Looking at the Jets' needs in general, my listing of priorities would be as follows:

1. QB
    1.A. LT
    3. Pass-Rushing OLB
    4. #1 CB

Looking at the Jets needs in relation to the strengths and weakness of the 2017 draft, my priorities would change as follows:

1. Impact player for either the offense or defense - one of Fournette, Cook, Howard, Adams, Foster, Hooker
    2. QB if the Jets think that Mahomes or Watson are better prospects than Petty and Hack and that one of them could start immediately, or LT if they think one of Robinson, Ramczyk, Bolles or Garcia could start day one and be a high quality long-term LT
    3. Pass Rushing OLB
    4. (Tie) CB & TE

Unless heading into the draft I was convinced that Mahomes was another Carr or Favre, QB would not be a priority for me in the upcoming draft.

The same pretty much goes for the top LT prospects in this draft. Unless I thought Cam Robinson, Ramczyk, Bolles or Garcia could be my long-term starter at LT and could be a day one starter, LT would not be a priority in this draft either unless I had failed to sign an LT in FA.

My priorities would then be adding an impact player at #6 (I'm still torn regarding which one of the players I mentioned), adding a speedy pass-rushing OLB prospect, upgrading the offense by adding a 2-way TE and a RB (preferably a bigger, power-type or workhorse-type back), and adding a CB.

#2 NCJetsfan, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    TonyFtLaud likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

Yeah, I wish I knew how to tweak the poll as you suggested, but yes, it's for the 2017 Draft. Thanks for your reply.

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Until we have a QB to build around nothing else matters.

1.QB
    2.QB
    3.QB
    4.QB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

1) Talent
    2) More Talent
    3) OT
    4) CB

6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

HC
    HC
    HC
    HC

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

1. BPA
    2. BPA
    3. BPA
    4. Aggressively trade up and/or down for talent instead of staying put.

Peebag and westiedog1 like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

I actually thought of making this one of the choices, but I figured I'd just focus on the players.

James Hasty and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. jago

jago Active Member

owner
    gm
    hc
    qb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Right on! Until that position is filled and functioning everything else is a smokecreen.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. boozer32

Also highly needed.

12. boozer32

Nothing wrong with our GM. He could draft an all star team and Bowles would ruin it. He coaches scared and its like he has a game plan on Monday. By Sunday when things don't go the way of the game plan he has no clue how to adjust. #RigidAsACorpe

#12 boozer32, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. NYJetsO12

Pretty disgusting that after Weeb Ewbank Parcells and Bellichik for ten minutes its been hot garbage for DECADES ....sigh

boozer32 likes this.
  14. NYJetsO12

yes but Mac will be out the door because of association with Bubba

Plus his bad mistakes: Revis Contract Shitz Contract Lee and Hackenburg picks could haunt him

Still on board with our GM but jus barely at this point

Hes got this March and April to save himself

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

In a vacuum: QB, LT, WR, TE

In this draft: LT, WR, TE, QB

The Jets really need a no-brainer QB choice for once. We haven't had than since 1965.

If the Jets use the top two picks on defense (again) and fix the defense enough to be ok next year we'll win 4+ games again, because a decent defense will beat a bad team when it runs into one, and we'll get shut out of the top QB's next year.

The reason the Jets have been bad for the last 6 years is the offense blows chunks. Period.

Fixing the defense (again) when the offense blows chunks (again) is just going to put us back on the same wheel we've been running for the last half decade and arguably the last forty years. Fix the offense.

Next head coach needs to be on that side of the ball and he needs to be good on that side of the ball. He should be early to mid 40's and still hungry for a championship. He should be the kind of guy you can make #1 on the org chart with a GM who caddies for him to get the talent he needs to win.

#15 Br4d, Feb 19, 2017
  16. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Marino was a no-brainer. The Jets just had no brain at the time.

And I say that as the biggest Kenny O fan you will ever find.

boozer32 likes this.
  17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Marino was like 6th QB taken that year, he wasn't a no-brainer.

The War on Drugs was a real thing, just gotten started under Reagan and everybody after Denver who passed on Marino passed because of the Pitt- cocaine thing.

Peebag and James Hasty like this.
  18. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

This poll was tough, I didn't choose an option. Unfortunately, as NC pointed out. This class is weakest at our 2 greatest needs. I think the approach should be to let the draft come to you. No way we should reach for a QB or LT . Really almost any BPA will fill an area of need for us. This draft will be cruical for the rebuilding process. Areas of need for 2017 may not be as important as areas of need in 18 or 19. We can't afford to reach for an immediate need passing up a 10 year star because the guy we have at that position is good enough for one more year.

19. ColoradoContrails

OTH, passing up a possible FQB or FRB that could remake the offense immediately would be very foolish also.

#19 ColoradoContrails, Feb 19, 2017
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. NYJetsO12

The Offense is nonexistent ...Cant produce points, and no lead for any stud defenders to earn their pay

But oh yeah get the BPA CB ...

ColoradoContrails likes this.