The Jets need a "sexy" offensive pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GangGreenNYJ, Feb 16, 2017.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Nice post LA and I hope we trade down..if possible

I like Offensive players but it will be WWE Smackdown for RBs joining the Jets with a poor OL Just look at Oakland and Dallas for examples of great OL s and Offensive success

Don't forget you are a guru as much as the rest of us hahaha

I still think we build up the trenches then get a RB/TE

Personally I don't think Mac knows as little as JI ....disappointing but no not that clueless

LAJet likes this.
  2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Thanks NY. Cant disagree with your feedback. I fully expect for Mac to beef up the OL this year both through the draft and with a selective FA or trade move. I don't know what was more excruciatingly painful to watch in 2016. The Jets secondary or the OL.
    Both were dismal.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Guy, to begin with our OL is not in shambles. Second, you act like the OL will never be fixed or that we shouldn't possibly try to fix anything else on the offense until we fix the OL.

Mac might be able to sign an LT in FA, Shell might shore up the RT spot, Mangold may be back, and the OL could be a lot better this year than we think, but if we didn't take Fournette or Cook, we'd probably be right back to running Forte for 3 yards a clip.

As we've discussed before, more than likely this isn't the draft to find their future LT, and even if they do, odds are he won't start until next year. Fixing the Jets is going to be a multi-year deal. If they can get an excellent RB, TE and fix a couple of holes on D this draft, then they can load up on OL in next year's draft, which almost has to be better for OL than this one.

4. NCJetsfan

I wouldn't hold my breath on the OL getting fixed this year. It just isn't the year for it in terms of who is available in FA and/or the draft. Carpenter is solid. They just re-signed Winters and he is improving, so they're not gonna sign an OG. They're high on Shell, so seriously doubt they'd sign a RT either. There will only be a few LTs available in FA, and more than likely there are no plug and play LTs in this draft. Several teams are looking to improve their LT position, so competition will be steep for those FA LTs. It's totally likely that the Jets will wind up having to bring Clady back, hope he can stay healthy and play better than last year. They may look to draft a C even if Mangold is back, but I doubt they sign a FA C unless they're not bringing Mangold back. Hence, I doubt much, if any, beefing up of the OL will occur this year. I don't know anything about the talent for next year's draft, but this is an unusual draft in that it's not very good for OL. Next year will almost have to be a better year for OL, and thus, I think it will be the year that Mac beefs up the OL.

5. NYJetsO12

Aside from this NC...

Check out the Revis news....toldya! players today one step away from the hoosgauw ...ahahahaha

6. NCJetsfan

Yes, I saw that in the other thread and had a good laugh.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I'm not quite sure why you find that so funny. I want the best player available. If Fournette is that guy, you take him. That doesn't mean the o-line isn't a problem area.

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  8. NYJetsO12

its ok

I just don't see a guy who only went for 30 yards against a replica NFL D (Alabama) that great

Someone gave the excuse that LSU has poor OL

Then the question is moot that the Jets OL is so terrific...so that wont help lol

Anyways you are entitled to your opinion

9. b.reyes16

You can't just pass up on great players because they had one bad game against a very good defense, just because your oline isn't the Great Wall of Dallas. If there's any player that could have success behind a poor offensive line, it's the player who is adept at breaking tackles and making their own yards, i.e. Fournette. If he's the best player, you take him, no questions asked.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

c
    While the OL needs to be improved, it isn't in "shambles". But we also can't wait until we have an All Pro O-line before we address other offensive needs. But you ignore the impact that an elite RB can have, not just for the QB, but also for the OL. A guy who can make his own holes makes the OL better, especially if it's a guy who can catch out of the backfield. When the "D" can't just pin their ears back and get after the QB because the RB might burn them, that's huge.

I don't know if Fournette is the best choice....Cook might be a better fit for the Jets, but if one of them is there at #6, and Watson or Mahomes are already gone, the Jets would be making a serious mistake in passing up on them.

b.reyes16 likes this.
  11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I can agree with taking a RB but he is no elliott but it would be a disaster to take a WR as some are suggesting before getting a franchise qb who can throw to him.

12. ColoradoContrails

The only "receiver" I would consider with #6 pick is Howard because he contributes to the OL as well as his pass catching ability. Still I think at #6 he's a little high, although I'd prefer taking him than anyone on "D" with that pick.

b.reyes16 likes this.
  13. b.reyes16

Well, idk if I'd say Williams or Davis would be a disaster. I Think the real disaster is drafting a QB with nobody to throw to rather than the other way around

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Exactly. Brandon Marshall and Decker made Fitz look a LOT better than he is the last two years. Great WRs can make a QB look better than he is, just as a great QB can make WRs look better than they are.

I don't care how good a route runner Davis is or how smooth he may be, with the Jets' OL and QB situation, I think Williams would be the better fit. Just like Fitz did with B. Marshall, the Jets' QB could just throw the ball up and Williams, with his leaping skill, ability to high point the ball, and use his body to shield defenders from the ball, more often than not would come down with the ball. With Davis, the Jets' QB might not have the time to let him finish his route, and even if he did, may not be able to hit him.

b.reyes16 likes this.
  15. b.reyes16

Williams is definitely a better fit for us right now, but I'd be surprised if Davis isn't the more productive after 5 years in the league or so. He looks more pro-ready than Cooper was to me.

16. jago

jago Active Member

17. jago

jago Active Member

i will also note the most effective guy , marshawn, was a project of sorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. ColoradoContrails

First. you certainly need more than even Jim Brown in his prime to get to the SB. Second, great runners make a difference. Whether they take you to the SB on their own is besides the point. AN elite RB added to the Jets would make a tremendous difference for whoever the QB is. And my definition of "elite" is a RB who can break open a play any time he touches the ball.

19. b.reyes16

That's not a good argument. No single player takes a team to the Superbowl. Should we never draft any position other than QB in the 1st?

20. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Dalvin Cook?