Revis injured in attack in Pittsburgh

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jets_Grinch, Feb 16, 2017.

1. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I get it, Revis screwed every Jets fan this season. My opinion on this matter has nothing to do with him, other than the fact that I'm posting it in this thread.

If two shitbirds were following me around recording me with their cell phone cameras at 2:45 A.M., I wouldn't hesitate to knock them out and throw their phone in the street. I can't blame him for that.

Of course I'm not as rich or disliked as Revis, so maybe jury would treat the two of us differently.
    .....and Tennessee juries are probably differ greatly from Pittsburgh juries....

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

My bet is this will be pleaded out. revis will plead to some sort of simple assault misdemeanor, pay retribution and take a 12 month probation with anger management classes and some sort of community service.

3. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

You would also face jail time... so a criminal record or a video of you walking down the street?

Ralebird and JetBlue like this.
  4. TwoHeadedMonster

I would face a Jury first. Juries tend to favor the guy who was going about his business over the guy who got into another person's business. I'd take that chance, sure.

If it was just somebody silently videoing me, that's one thing. If it was some dumbasses following me, yelling at me, or otherwise harassing me, that's another.

5. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Yea but would Revis take the stand in his own defense? If so he's already back 10 yards.

6. TwoHeadedMonster

It's true, my status as "Not Darrelle Revis" is a crucial part of my criminal calculus in so many ways....

7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

No, juries are instructed to follow strict instructions of the laws in play.

Sympathy is not inherent, and step to the stand and think the declaration that they were videoing you and deserved to be attacked because you didn't appreciate it and think that nonsensical reasoning will illicit sympathy, well, enjoy your stay in government custody.

I hope you do face that situation. The less people walking the street with that violent and deserving attitude that believe you are justified to physically attack other people just because you don't like what they are doing the better.

8. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

It comes down to how damaged the phone is. If they can recover the video (likely they can) then most juries decisions will be made based on how harassed Revis was and if he sufficiently attempted to walk away. Assuming they were really grinding him and he attempted to leave and deescalate the situation I suspect all charges will be dropped. The entire thing sounds like drunk asshole wanted to prove he was tough by challenging pro athlete knowing he wouldn't fight back, this time he did.

#108 Jets_Grinch, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  9. TwoHeadedMonster

I'm just curious as to what you would do if you were being doggedly harassed on the street at 3:00 in the morning. Would you call 911 and wait patiently for the cops to arrive? Run away?

My "deserving attitude" only extends to the idea that I deserve to not be harassed after I ask someone to stop harassing me.

10. John Lombardo

John Lombardo Active Member

Where was that intensity during the regular season?

NYJetsO12 and Ghost50 like this.
  11. JetBlue

I'm not saying Revis wasn't justified; I'm disputing the nonsensical claims that if someone is doing something you don't like, like videoing you, you are justified in attacking them to stop. If these two guys were obstructing Revis in any way, not simply just videoing him, then I think punching them to get away is justified.

Problem for Revis, though, is the claim that he took the phone which is the robbery charge he is faced with. That isn't the action of someone feeling threatened and trying to escape; that is the actions of someone being the aggressor simply because he doesn't want to be videoed.

12. JetBlue

Yes, I would rather walk away to safety if violence isn't inherent in their actions rather than escalate violence and risk my safety.

If you can point to the law that shows being harassed is a justifiable reason for physically attacking someone, then you have a shot with your jury when that time comes.

If not, have fun whining about how you were harassed during your card games in the yard. But, good for you, you stood up for yourself on the streets and are well trained to do so in the can.

You're right, you won. You may be in jail but those other guys now know not to record you. Sounds like it is worth it.

13. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

I fully agree with you. People in general, especially celebrities, are going to be filmed and photographed either purposely or just as a byproduct of people’s lives in this social media generation. "If" he was being harassed in a threatening way and only reached for the phone after attempting to de-escalate the situation i suspect the judge will throw out the charges pending Revis buy the dickhead a new phone. It will come down to what's on the video and what exactly the law allows/states in Pittsburgh.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, with his reluctance to hit anyone on the football field, I doubt that he was the one who threw the punches. Still, he was charged with 4 felonies and one misdemeanor.

NYJetsO12 and Peebag like this.
  15. TwoHeadedMonster

I'm not advocating attacking someone for taking a video. I'm advocating defending yourself if you're harassed on the street. You're right, there probably isn't a law that says that's justifiable-- but I also recognize that it's unwise to go harassing people on the street at 2:45 in the morning, because it might well get you beat up or shot. If you think that's not a likely outcome, I invite you to go downtown tomorrow morning with a camera and an attitude and start shouting at folks and following them around.

16. NCJetsfan

At that hour of the morning? RIGHT! Who's his lawyer, Kelly Ann Conway?

#116 NCJetsfan, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

You mean Kellyanne Conway?

Ozymandias likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

Yes, you beat me to it. I've already edited it. Thanks.

19. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

This came out of nowhere and the stories coming out are really weird and inconsistent. To be honest, I don't even really care what happened because this makes the Jets eventual decision to cut ties with Revis, that much easier.

I'm not sure if there are any offsets in Revis' contract but if anyone knows please chime in....Does this incident void the 6 million dollar guarantee Revis is owed?

Revis is an aging talent who's skill set fell off the face of the planet. He seemed uninterested last season, came in to camp overweight, and seemed to imply that his age was catching up with him. To me, an athlete of his calibre, should not make up excuses to cover up his piss poor play.

IMO, Revis will not be a Jet next season

Joey Jett and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. JetBlue

I wouldn't do that because it's fucking stupid, and if someone gets knocked the fuck out for doing so I can say they deserve it from a social standpoint. That wouldn't absolve the person who hit them from a legal standpoint.

Both of them can be assholes and socially wrong in their actions. But only one faces legal charges unless we decide to make being assholes a criminal offense.