Mocking the Jets' 2017 Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NCJetsfan, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Mike Williams & Mr. Cook...who can catch out of the backfield better than Fournette.

2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Fast risers scare me and I'll tell you why. Before the season, the one season of Hooker playing. He was a 3rd round talent. Not enough game time playing for this guy. You bring up Fournette injuries. Hooker had double surgery last month torn labrum and hernia. So he will not be participating in the combines and you want to take him at 6 right before the draft on his pro day workout? That is highly risky and right now we are not in the high risk mode. I don't think the Jets will do that even if he nails it at that pro day. Just sayin GG101

3. boozer32

Supersttion that is what I'm going off. Sports players and fans are like that. When I play baseball I never stepped on the white lines going or coming off the field. Never stepped on the plate going to bat. Yes there have been tons of great OSU players just not in abundance with the Jets. 2 in 55 years. That is a pretty abysmul track record, superstition aside.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Makes sense. I'm just not superstitious. I go out of my way to walk under ladders,step on cracks, love Friday the 13th, etc.

boozer32 likes this.
  5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The biggest reason fast risers scare me is that they tend to be combine warriors and what they actually did in college gets thrown out the window as everybody oohs and aahs at how good they look in their underwear, and yeah that came out wrong but not really...

boozer32 likes this.
  6. boozer32

I agree and especially with the stunt Johnny Manziel did at the combine throwing in pads and helmet.

7. boozer32

I think you're the reason the Jets are cursed lol.

8. NCJetsfan

LOL I doubt I have any effect on the Jets, but it may be why I am cursed! LOL

boozer32 likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

How was he a 3rd round talent if he didn't play last season? You would've had no way to evaluate how good the player was. Regardless, you watch the games it's easy to see the guy had an instant impact on the secondary and that doesn't come around often. I don't think I would classify him as a fast riser cause he was great all season long. Fast risers are normally combine warriors.

Chronic ankle issues never go away, to me that's just as much as a risk as anything. The fact is, Hooker played with that injury and still performed at an elite level, what does that tell you? The surgery won't affect his stock I think. If he's going to be healthy, I have no issue with the selection. If the JETS can move down a few picks and still get him well that's a huge win. A lot of teams need safeties.

10. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

So it's your fault we lost all of those games this year.

A couple lucky bounces and we would have had at least two more wins.

11. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I suspect the Jets take Kizer if they do take a QB with #6.

There are reports coming out which say Hackenberg has progressed mightily since he became a member of the Jets. If the Jets take another position in round 1 & 2 those stories would be confirmed in my mind.

12. boozer32

Yeah well I hope they pass, pass twice and maybe pass 3 times. We got more pressing issues than a 1 year college FS.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  13. boozer32

Kizer is not that good and that would be a horrible pick especially with Watson possibly being avaiable. Kizer might go 3rd round maybe.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. 101GangGreen101

Spoken perfectly from someone who:

1. Gave Hooker a 3rd round grade and never saw him play.
    2. Thought Gilchrist was a good FS
    3. Thinks safety is not a position that is in peril.
    4. Literally thought Gilchrist was a good FS.

Good stuff, well thanks for proving me right. Have a good one!

15. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

where are you getting this information about fournette having chronic ankle issues?

16. All Gas No Shake

from the tape ive seen, fournette has good hands too. its just that lsu's offense is from the stone age ... cook does run good routes for a RB, tho. i dont think ive ever seen fournette split out, but again, les miles

if its a choice between the two, im taking fournette ... hes bigger, faster, and a stronger runner than cook

17. 101GangGreen101

18. All Gas No Shake

yea, i thought thats what you were referring to

those sites all cite the same anonymous source. he didnt miss any games in his frosh or soph years because of the purported condition

it looks to me like he rushed back from a high ankle sprain ... unless something concrete comes out of the combine medical check, im going to leave the ankle out of my evaluation of fournettes prospects

19. 101GangGreen101

Will Carroll is a sportswriter specializing in the coverage of medical issues, including injuries. He's not an anonymous source, but he did get it from a scout. You can believe it or not, but it could be an issue, especially after he handled all those carries the season before.

20. NCJetsfan

I agree with you. I know Cook is a great receiver, but he has sort of a smallish, odd-looking shape and stride to me. I like Fournette's running abilities a lot better and think he has good hands and could be an excellent receiver as well with some work. I am a bit concerned about his high ankle sprains last season, however. He tried to come back too early, and then had to sit again. I did a little research, and players who try to come back too soon from a high ankle sprain can develop chronic issues. I think Fournette does need to be thoroughly checked out to make sure there aren't any injury concerns.