Sooo... Who's walkin the plank??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Feb 14, 2017.

1. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

You do need some veteran presence and Mangold and Harris are two great guys to have at the right price. At the same time go with a total youth movement. Sign 25-27 year old free agents. Guys that are affordable and are hungry to play. The next two years the Jets need to go 6-10 and then 8-8. In year 3 they have to make the playoff run that hopefully brings a run for a number of years. Much like what they Raiders are doing. The Jets need to sign a tackle who can be a bridgegap, a corner who can be a one or two, a safety, and a qb like Tyrod Taylor or Glennon. Someone who has potential, won't break the bank and we feel like we can pull the plug when Hackenberg or the next guy is ready.

2. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

The two biggest concerns to me are Mangold and Harris. Because I believe they have to be restructured in order to build towards the future and having the cap space to do it.

I love Harris but I say if he doesn't restructure you bring back Henderson for less than you would've paid Harris in a restructured contract and move on. Mangold is a bit tougher, centers are not dime a dozen especially ones that have been at the top of their position for most of their career. Having a center like this will help a young QB grow regardless of who that QB is.

As for the rest they can be cut without a second thought.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Your first four sentences were great, then it went to shit.

No, the Jets don't need to go 6-10 and then 8-8 the next two years! If that happens, it probably means that the Jets have brought in an older, more expensive QB like Cutler, it means they think they don't need to do a true rebuild and are continuing with the same BS "competitive rebuild," and it means that neither Petty nor Hack will develop, nor will the Jets be in a position to draft their franchise QB, so we will be doomed with another decade of suckass football without a FQB.

The Raiders are doing it because they got their FQB, and they have a great GM who is rebuilding their roster the right way.

Our team needs to do a complete rebuild. They've been trying to avoid it, trying to be competitive for the last 10 years, without having the QB or half the other pieces necessary. It's insane. They've never undone the damage Tanny did with all his trading up in the draft, which left the cupboard bare. The Jets need to almost totally rebuild this roster from the ground up. They need playmakers, starters at at least a half-dozen positions (probably closer to a dozen), and they need depth.

There is no absolute record the team needs to have the next two years, but if neither Petty nor Hack work out, and the Jets want a shot at FQB in the 2018 draft, they better win no more than 3-4 games in 2017.

#43 NCJetsfan, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    Br4d and SackExchange69 like this.
  4. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I agree with you. Maybe it's a pipedream to go 6-10. What I was trying to saying is be bad. 3 4 wins build the line then draft the qb and compete in two years after like the Raiders.

NCJetsfan and Jets_Grinch like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO the only way it works and the Jets go 6-10 this season is if either Petty or Hack win the starting job and prove to be their QB of the future. Even so, Bowles could undermine it all. While I'd LOVE to see that happen, I think that is a pipe dream at this point. Morton and the new QB Coach would have to prove to be revelations, and Bowles would have had to have learned how to be a real HC during the offseason.

6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it was in my original post but not what you replied to. in the one you replied to i just made the point that sometimes players are overpaid and sometimes they are underpaid
    that's a big if. all the top CBs are gonna want more then 8 mil a year. so to upgrade the spot with a veteran free agent is gonna cost us at least 12 of not 16 mil a year. If somehow we can get a good CB for 8 mil a year then sure. I'm just saying cutting him loose with no replacement and eating 8 mil isn't very smart.

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

A top CB is worth 12M, but at this point even a second tier CB is an upgrade.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

3-4 is too many wins. The Jets need to figure out how to get out to 2-11 and then drop the last 3 games for the #1 pick. They may have to get out to 1-12 and drop the last 3 including games to the Fins and Bills.

Cman68 likes this.
  9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

And that was the start of... nothing.

It was a great heartfelt rant by a head coach who saw the writing on the wall if he didn't get things turned around after inheriting a veteran team that was already beginning to decline under his watch.

It's still one of my favorite Jet moments given what happened after that in the 2002 season. However all it did in the end was perpetuate a strategy of always trying to compete with not enough resources to get it done over the long haul.

I'm a fan of 46 years at this point. I've seen regimes come and go over that time. None of them since the late 70's had any concept of building for the future and trying to open a championship window wide enough to get it done. None of them ever have had the notion that you have to pay today for gains tomorrow.

In the last decade we have gladly paid on Tuesday for a hamburger today and that predictably has made us worse over time.

I want to start laying down the foundations of a feast on Tuesday and to do that the Jets need to do the hard work of buying all the basic ingredients on Sunday and Monday and then actually setting the table on Tuesday.

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

It is impossible to "(lay) down a foundation" by laying down and that's the only way to get to 1-15.

12. GasedAndConfused

of course they are. we just don't have the money for it. and the top FA CBs this season are looking for 16mil a year. of we cut revis and grab one of them we would have 24mil invested of the cap on 1 player essentially. thats 14% of the cap

13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

but if we keep revis we still need a cb and to sign a top one at your 16m figure would put us at 31m against the cap for one position while overpaying a fading star

14. GasedAndConfused

thats one way to look at it, but that still keeps revis starting and skrine in the slot. cutting revis means we need to sign 2 starting CBs anyway you look at it. or 1 starter and draft a high rookie and hope he can hang.

The issue that fans don't seem to get is revis still fills a slot. even though he played poorly last year, he was still better then the players behind him. had a young CB stepped up that would be different but as it stands revis is still our starting #1CB. skrine is better in the slot and we don't really have a number 2. burris and williams are depth guys. cutting revis means we need a 1 and 2CB. it's hard to cut players that leave huge gaping holes in an already weak position

15. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It's a fair assessment and I think most jet fans do know that it will become a position that has to be addressed, but in the world that is the NFL, being financially flexible is one of the most important things a team can do to help themselves.

It's obvious that the Pats could win without Revis, they did not replace him with another HOF CB, they simply schemed their defense to give as much help to their young CBs.

This idea that you can't cut an unproductive player making a ton of money because of fear that you can't replace him is what bad organizations do.

If the Jets want to climb out of this mire that this organization has put themselves into, they have to get good, young and cheap players, while allocating the bulk of the money on players that produce at an extremely high level.

Cut Revis, take the 8 million dollar hit and have TB play more zone defense to help with the inexperienced CB they will draft, you never know, the young guy they draft might not be afraid to make contact like Revis did, he may be able to play bump and run, unlike Revis.

No more sentimental signings, Mo, Revis, Sixpatrick...etc

TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  16. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

No hate, just want him to end his career as a Jet.

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

cruel bastard

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

By a second tier CB, I mean someone who we can pay less than 8M and will be better than Revis. Revis has declined to the point that isn't far fetched.

Red Menace likes this.
  19. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Patrick Chung is more aggressive, better overall corner than revis. Chung is listed safety but does it all bc he is aggressive has nose for football and tackles.

Revis cashes checks and assaults fans. Does not tackle, but will punch you in the face for videotaping him.

20. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Revis actually held out his rookie year and was way overpaid. He was drafted 14th and paid more than Peterson who went 7th. He Acted over 5 million his first 3 season which was on the high end for corners , champ Bailey was getting $10 but most corners didn't get close to 5. Then Rex came in in 09 and couldn't stop talking about Revis so the 16.5 he was due became 20. Then he was ready to hold out again before getting hurt. We never had any bargain years from Revis.

NCJetsfan likes this.