Ca n the OL be overhauled this offseason?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mainejet, Feb 15, 2017.

1. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I want Winters and Shell to succeed. I do not want anyone in this organization to think that they are good enough to be starters in this league, and I don't want anyone in this organization to think that they are close enough to being starter capable that the Jets should bank on them developing.

They are not good enough, and they are not close to good enough. They are not likely to become good enough.

That said, they are also not the weakest links on this roster right now.

blackssmagic and Peebag like this.
  2. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

That's really depressing.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Who should the jets select?

Trubinski, Mahomes?

Ramczyk should be up at the top, he is that good now and his potential is pro bowl impact player.

Just because Mcgay and Kiper don't believe it, does not make it correct.

Fournette, Howard, Solomon Thomas are not worthy of 6th overall picks.

If you want to tell me that you would go with a top CB I can get on board with that, because there are some excellent CB in this draft that can make an immediate impact.

Other than that, I would go Cam or Ramczyck at 6th.

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I'm only considering at this point Mahomes, Watson, Williams, Adams, Hooker, Foster at 6

5. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

At pick six I have given this a lot of thought and have read all kinds of mock drafts. Me personally I am looking at Hooker, Cook, Watson, or Fournette. I would pass on Adams due to him being that in the box safety that plays along the line vs a true centerfielder like Hooker. This secondary is so desperate for youth, speed, and athleticism. I would honestly say the secondary is probably the biggest need for this team other than finding that true QB

6. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I know that we are desperate for a LT but Can Robinson is not the answer. Maybe if he falls to the second round but even then, he is more than likely going to be a RT in the NFL. He is very good at run blocking but is awful in pass protection. Drafting him early just wastes a pick. That doesn't even take into account his character issues. I know that LT is a priority but this is a very weak draft class for LT. If we can trade back in the first and land Ramcyzk and add a second or third round pick that would be ideal.
    There may be some better prospects from small school's later in the draft like Brad Seaton from Villanova or else we go the FA route. Ty Nsekhe should be our number one target or else we can go after Whitworth for a couple of years. Beachum was terrible last year, PFF graded him at 44.3 ,was it due to coming back too soon from knee surgery or the effect of that surgery?
    There is depth to be found later in this draft at center and guard .
    The o line can be addressed with out reaching, overspending and most importantly without compromising the rest of the roster.

7. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

I don't consider Shell to be starting material, I think that's rather knee jerk to assume after such a short audition, that he's ready to start. I certainly think a stop gap at the very least is needed. The Jets need to hold his feet to the fire and make prove he's a starter? Him starting just because he's our only option doesn't mean he's earned it.

LT is a must, come hell or high water. No QB or RB will ever successful without a replacement for Clady. This line is way too old.

I do think retaining Mangold would be a wise decision if he's willing to play for reasonable money.

And depth IMO has ALWAYS been a problem for this team. They simply do not have any depth.

But I still think two tackles and a center is needed this off season? Winning in the trenches is where winning football games starts...

8. TonyFtLaud

I agree that winning starts in the trenches and we have to find a LT at all costs , preferably a FA. Center can be had late in the draft, round 5 or 6. Mangold will hopefully be back next season and Johnson and Quayle can play back up roles for a year. I don't see 2017 being a successful year no matter who we get on the o line so in my opinion, it makes sense to address the line as the draft allows. Reaching for a position in a very weak class only wastes draft picks. Leaves holes at other positions that could have been filled with strengths of the class and sets the franchise back further. Several years of poor drafting has left us with no depth and we can't fix it all with 6 picks. It will take at least 2 more drafts to field a sustainable competitive roster.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think Cam Robinson could be a very good guard at the next level.

NCJetsfan and TonyFtLaud like this.
  10. TonyFtLaud

I think he will be a good right tackle and could potentially become a good LT with the right coaching but not at the sixth pick.
    Last year or next year he's a second round pick. The class is just so weak that he will be overdrafted.

11. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

People are writing off a rookie right tackle as a potential starter after only 3 games, in which he played well?

I love it.

TonyFtLaud and nicg4360 like this.
  12. Big Cat

I read through the first page of this thread to see if anyone could save me the trouble of typing out my response. You did.

13. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

As long as he's better than Ijalana I'll take it.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  14. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

He had a down year last year but it's beleived to be due to injury. If that's the case the Jets could take advantage of last year's performance when/if signing him. 27 years old is also a plus.

15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Some decent tackles are hitting the market with the latest round of cuts. Our OL prospects just got better.

nicg4360 likes this.
  16. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

Remember that for every guy who is cut, A) his team deemed him not worth keeping sometimes due to cost but not always and B) that team is probably in the market also. Unfortunately it seems like a bad year for LT in the draft and not much in FA.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  17. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

I dunno....I'm not sold on him as of yet. Not enough body of work to go on.

18. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the Jets don't have the luxury of other teams where they can just cut an average tackle because they have a better one one the roster. They are in a huge need of a LT this year regardless of what's out there. Even if they are deemed lesser than what we would prefer we need to find one. FA seems the best way unless we use a decent pick on one. Pick your poison.

19. Big Cat

There's a difference between not being sold and saying that he's "not a starter and not capable of developing into one"

Which is ridiculous

20. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

I don't believe anyone is writing Shell off? I am just saying when it comes to this team, Shell is more or less our only option because the team is so thin on talent and because he has such a small body of work. The Jets need to not only build up a starting core, but they also need depth. That's the only time when good camp battles for starting spots can be created. Shell is only slated to be the starter because there is no one else even worthy of mentioning in the conversation. But it certainly doesn't mean that Shell has EARNED a starting spot.

I would say if the Jets are going to create an atmosphere of good competition, they should draft another young guy or sign someone through FA and make Shell prove that he's the best of the group.

blackssmagic and nicg4360 like this.