Ca n the OL be overhauled this offseason?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mainejet, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

I say yes. Mainly because the Jets have some ammunition. They have Sheldon to offer in trade? IMO, the Jets are also fine at Guard for at least this season. Here would be my moves to drastically improve the OL this offseason:

1) Trade Sheldon for a proven OT. I would think there will be plenty of suitors for Sheldon despite his off field troubles.

2) Acquire another Tackle or Center through FA. This shouldn't be as hard as everyone may think. Mac will need to clear cap space, but that's been the plan since about mid season.

3) Use a 1st or 2nd to grab another Tackle.

If Mac can manage to acquire 3 guys, a mixture of proven veterans coupled with a top notch draft prospect, this should be instantly. It's possible Mangold may play another season also. IMO, that would put the Jets in decent shape to poosibly draft Mangold's understudy?

I really don't think this plan would be that hard to execute and it would instantly transform a very problematic unit from 2016. What do you say?

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

no one i trading a good starting T for sheldon. its just not happening, we will be lucky to get a 2nd rd pick for him. the o line next year is going to be:
    fa/rookie lt,carpenter,mangold/johnson ,winters,shell

3. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I think most likely the Jets draft a LT and a C - line will be :

rookie/Carpenter/rookie/Winters/Shell. The rebuild would pretty much be complete.

Bolles from Utah may be available in the second round or lower first IF Jets traded down or traded up from second round. A center can be grabbed lower. I like Toth from Kentucky......

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

I don't feel like Mangold's play has fallen off so much that we should release him.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's fallen way off, mainly due to the nagging injuries but he has those every year now, which is normal for a post-30 player.

6. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I think the FA pool for tackles will be a bit larger once some teams make cap cuts. We might be able to find a hold-the-fort guy for one tackle position for a couple of years there.

7. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I think we sign a FA left tackle until we find a long term solution. My guess is that Macc will look to find depth in the later rounds. If there was an out and out slam dunk choice at 6 though, I'm sure he'd go for it though.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. and NYJetsO12 like this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jets could make a run at Kelvin Beachum since he was cut. He's 27(?). Could be a stop-gap for a few years until the Jets can find a replacement. Not a good run-blocker, but solid in pass pro

9. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Winters, Carpenter and Shell should be three starters. I think they'll resign Iljana for depth and Wesley Johnson. Mangold at the right price will be back. If they don't resign Mangold I can see them signing another C and LT for not that much money and also draft a tackle in the second round and drafting a center in the fourth or fifth.

10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I think what we'll see is the Jets sign a FA LT and then draft a development OL or two and call it a day on OL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Mac should select Ramczyck with the 6th pick, I know this board along with Todd Mcgay and Kiper will be saying how bad of a move that was, ten years from now Ramczyck will be the LT for the jets just like Ferguson was.

They can select a CB with their 2nd round pick, because it's a deep draft at CB, and an OLB with their 3rd.

12. The OL overhaul is alittle overblown in my opinion. No doubt we have a major need at LT..and could serve to upgrade at Center..but other than that the real need w. the unit is more depth oriented.

We can likely survive at Center for another year w. either Mangold at a reduced salary or Wesley Johnson who is at least decent. I'm not sure there is a center in this draft or FA who is a clearcut upgrade..and we just have too many other needs to fixate on a position with limited options.

Qvale & Ijalana are not perfect..but they are actually decent options as back-up swing tackles. It's when they are your week to week starter that you worry.

The real glaring weakness in my opinion(going back almost a decade) is depth at guard. I know that Doozier filled in decently when called upon at season's end..but he has had some ugly snaps in every preseason he has been in NY & just has not developed the way we had hoped. Carpenter tends to get banged up & is starting to age...ideally we draft his eventual replacement in the 2nd or 3rd round spending the next season or 2 developing behind the scenes & being the primary back-up.

13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If there is one thing that is consistently good with the nyj its the center position. i am just going to assume that anothe h.o.f. type will emerge from somewhere

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Sign Reiff to play RT, draft Cam Robinson to play LT. Release Mangold, thanks for the mems but wesley johnson is fine at center.

Robinson-Carpenter-Johnson-Winters-Reiff. - - already an above average, younger OL.

(shell & Ijanala back up tackles, might need a cheap G/C swing backup)

Red Menace and NYJetsO12 like this.
  15. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

News reports say Mangold doesnt need ankle surgery, but the Jets dont want to resign Mangold at his current contract.

I get the Jets position, but I really hope they bring Mangold back, especially if the Jets have any inclination to start Petty/Hack or a rookie.

16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

+1000

This Post way overdue.

I see building the Line including a blocking TE crucial going forward

Mangold has had it Clady gone and other than Carpenter and Winters the young guys are unproven

The thing to watch out for in FA is yes get a couple of guys but make sure they are on young side 25/26 yrs old vs older dudes late 20s and thirties would be a long term disaster

Wow happy to see other posters thinking creatively refuting the notion that "this draft has no quality OLs in it"

This all part of a true rebuild

17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Plus 10 000

Glad to see someone else gets it...Ramczyk a good choice plus doesn't use a Pot gas mask lol. Long term investment that pays off

Refreshing to see the D getting backended to later rounds...Actually go wait till round 4 for defensive problems (CB) and get a RB or TE at 3...maybe grab a QB like Mahomes at 5 or 6th round

Red Menace likes this.
  18. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I think this is a bit overkill and I've been calling on the FO to fix the O-line for 5+ years now. I think we need a LT and a C, that's it. You don't need elite guards and Winters and Carpenter are good enough. Shell is a bit of a gamble as a starting RT, but he has potential and I'd rather let him play the entire season to get better in a down year anyway.

That leaves us with a center (if Mangold is cut) and a left tackle (Ijalana?). Since it doesn't seem like there will be a worthwhile left tackle at pick #6. I would hope we address one of these positions in round 2 or 3.

NCJetsfan, Big Cat and blackssmagic like this.
  19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Ramczyck at 6 is a huuuuuge reach. This draft is too talented at the top to be reaching for need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan, blackssmagic and Dom like this.
  20. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Its been said we can get a 3rd for Richardson. We could get a decent C/G with that pick. If the rumour is true we should be all over that. A trade back if possible in the first would also give us another 2nd or 3rd. If we make smart choices we could rebuild the OL to at least average or better.

NYJetsO12 likes this.