Deshaun Watson

Discussion in 'Draft' started by playtowinthegame, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I'm not even going to pretend that I can evaluate the o-line prospects but everything I've read from analysts is that this class is the worst in recent memory and none of them should even go in the first round. Reaching for one of those guys at 6 just because we want to "follow the Dallas blueprint" would be stupid.

2. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that link.

playtowinthegame likes this.
  3. FazeOne17

FazeOne17 Active Member

Cause drafting a QB every year in the first 4 rounds when you have 21 other positions to field isnt stupid?

2013 2nd rd Geno Smith
    2014 - When there actually is a decent QB class we take 14 retarded picks (Missed on Bridgewater and Carr) and take Boyd in the 6th
    2015 4th Rd Petty
    2016 2nd Rd Hackenberg
    2017 1st Rd Watson

That sounds like a Cleveland Browns recipe

Red Menace likes this.
  4. westiedog1

It was a QB taken in the 4th round that propelled Dallas to the top of the NFL not the 3 OL's taken in previous years. I'm all for the "Dallas blueprint", but let's start with a Prescott style QB in Watson.

5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

both @westiedog1 and @FazeOne17 have a point, as really you need a good Oline and you need a QB.

I think you take the value when it presents itself.
    you can't just draft a QB because you need one, and same with Olinemen, so there's no perfect order it needs to be done in.

have to get the right guys, which comes down to making good player evaluations.

i don't see any value in OL at 6 unfortunately. not sure yet on QB, but Watson is intriguing at least.
    there's probably a better chance we end up taking a press corner though :eek:.....just please no more 1 dimensional players or early round projects..

6. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

agreed. one thing I'll add though, we HAVE to get one in FA even if it's a stop gap.
    and i wouldn't mind an early mid round pick on a guy who could potentially grow into the LT spot, and occupy the backup swing T spot in meantime.
    can't go into next year without LT depth, it's just too critical a position.

7. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Say we draft Deshaun Watson...as soon as that happens Mac must try and trade Christian Hackenberg to the Texans for a pick in the 3rd, 4th round, because O'Brien likes the kid being his former coach while at Penn State. Keep Petty; sign a competent veteran quarterback, who would be good for Watson to learn from.

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

If Watson is available at 6 you first take a minute to thank the football gods then you rush to the podium.

He may not be the perfect QB prospect but he has all the physical talent with elite intangibles and is far better than anything Jets have.

Only question is if he makes it to 6 which I highly doubt with 3 QB needy teams ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Red, Cam isn't that good. He's overrated. I want no part of him. If they Jets were to take him instead of one of the pass-rushing OLBs, Mike Williams or Watson, I'd go completely beserk.

10. NCJetsfan

Can't blame Watson for not wanting to play for the Browns, but still am a little shocked. He's a great, humble young man, and would be an asset to any organization, but I don't think the Jets should draft him.

He's thrown a lot of interceptions over the last couple of years. His decision making leaves something to be desired, and I don't think he's our answer. If we had a very good OL and the right OC and QB coach maybe but we don't. I think we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves. If we take Watson, we're likely to stay in the "competitive rebuild" mode. I think we need to fix the pass rush and the OL (as much as we can considering that this is a terrible draft for LTs). If we do that and work to develop our young players in 2017, we should be in good position for the 2018 draft to get our QB of the future if Petty and Hack have proved not to be up to the challenge.

BomberJet likes this.
  11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I find that hard to believe. Jameis Winston was a better college QB. Watson won't be a better pro either. Still very skeptical on Watson.

blackssmagic likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

I'll watch the rest later, but in the first 5 minutes, most of the Alabama plays were runs and runs away from Garrett. If Robinson is so trusted, why were few of the runs to the left? There were two runs to the off-tackle spot that Robinson blocked effectively on. At the 5:00 minute mark there was a run to the left and Garrett beat Robinson and stuffed it. Even if Robinson got the best of Garrett in this game, it's one game. Based on what I've seen and been hearing about Robinson, he is not worth the #6 pick. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Believe me, I really want an LT, but more than likely this just isn't the year to get one in the draft. Perhaps my mind will change after looking at more video, but at this point, the kid from Wisconsin, Ramczyk, is the only one I'd consider taking in the 1st or 2nd round.

blackssmagic likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I hope you and the media and the rest of the experts keep shooting holes in Watson so that he falls to the Jets at #6..:)

No, he's not a "slam dunk", but NO player is. He is however the closest think to a FQB the Jets are going to find any time soon. He's a proven winner, and has a great attitude, two intangibles that cannot be overvalued. Yes, he's thrown some interceptions, but that just shows his desire to win. In his favor, he has learned, and improved, and can be expected to do so in the pros.

And it's not like the Jets are guaranteed a top 3 pick in 2018, so placing your hope in that is very risky. Nor can they count on Petty or Hack becoming the FQB, nor are any of the FAs this year guaranteed. So if the Jets need to go all in if they have a chance to get Watson, IMO.

15. westiedog1

There's a lot of faux news going around these days so I'd be very surprised if Watson said that too, unless jokingly. Russell Wilson threw 30 interceptions in college too. I'm not saying he's the greatest thing since sliced bread, and I'm not saying there's no risk, but he operates in the same style as Wilson and Prescott and both those guys have been successful. We all agree QB is a big need for the Jets. This year the Jets are in a position to get a top rated QB in the draft. We can argue about whether he's as good as advertised. I'm sure the same pros and cons applied to Wilson and Prescott coming out. I'm just saying there's an opportunity to get a possibly unique talent, and the Jets should consider it very carefully, because if they hit the lottery with him, it will mean many winning seasons to come. I think he's worth the risk.

16. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

If we get a chance to draft him, we should...But I am not going to sit here and hope and be anxious for him to fall to us like Mariota.

I cant get my hopes up anymore in saviors turning this franchise around

17. westiedog1

This article in the Times points out that all 4 final teams are led by elite QB's.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/16/...s&contentPlacement=8&pgtype=sectionfront&_r=0

You may not have faith in the Jets ability to land that savior, and I can understand that, but I'm convinced you can't hold that Lombardi trophy without trying to get that special QB (who doesn't have to be elite, just very good.)

18. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I cannot deny that, winning this league is near impossible to do so without a elite QB

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

That's exactly why we should draft that unique talent in Watson. I understand what detracts people from him. But he honestly has a ton of both Dak and Russell Wilson in him, starting with the excellent intangibles that a winner has. It's an underrated quality and the reason as to why a talented player like Jay Cutler is a career loser.

nicg4360, westiedog1 and TonyFtLaud like this.
  20. Boomboom

Boomboom Active Member

Stares down his receivers, only looks at half the field, this year his deep ball was ehh, throws alot of interceptions, does not anticipate throws that often but as long as he's a winner it's all good. Aj Mccarron was a winner to but he sucks. I'm also really skeptical of Watson I really don't think at #6 he is the way to go